Defeating Get Home Itis

Morne

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Morne
The other weekend we took a trip (myself, wife and another couple) up to Burlington, VT. I'll relate the details because the decision making was not trivial.

Background:
C-182E with /A equipment (VFR GPS onboard iPad on yoke, iPhone back-up)
54 gallons useable fuel (always full on departure)
No de-icing equipment
4 people onboard plus overnight bags
Close to MGW at take-off
Pilot is PPL with complex, Hi-perf and instrument rating (current, proficient and comfortable), night current
Origin = KBJJ, destination KBTV
Outbound Saturday 11/9/13, return planned 11/10/13

Due to the winds aloft we figured to make the trip outbound in one leg and have the return broken into two legs with a fuel stop at KIAG.

Outbound Flightaware track:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N9231X/history/20131109/1230Z/KBJJ/KBTV

Outbound was easy, the winds aloft kept me around 160 knots groundspeend. Had to fiddle with the cruise altitude a couple of times to be between cloud layers but otherwise no problem. Kept pitot heat on just to be safe. Everyone loved the flight and after landing we all had tons of energy to be out on the town all afternoon/night. A great time had by all.

Planning the return was tougher. The original plan of using KIAG for the fuel stop evaporated when I saw how the front had come in from the Northwest. Our original routing would have been into an icing airment (and moderate turbulence) with ceilings low enough to give mountain obscuration - pass, thanks! Going over Canada was out because I was the only one with my passport on me. After chatting with the briefer and getting the gloom and doom I went back to the drawing board and looked for a way south into Pennsylvania and then west. Decided to try flying down the Hudson from KBTV to 20N and then turning west towards KAVP. That looked doable and kept us under higher ceilings with lower terrain. Still had a moderate turbulence airmet, though.

Took off and started south, sure enough it was bumpy but VFR. Not the worst turbulence I've flown in but certainly not a lot of fun. Got to Kingston (20N) and decided to land early there to re-check the weather and gas up again even though it meant we'd probably need another fuel stop before getting home. While on the ground everyone (but me, naturally) took Dramamine. Figured it was safe to get to KIPT for the next stop. Took off again, this time right around sunset.

The ride towards KIPT was very bumpy. Normally I go higher to get over the bad stuff but the clouds above me, replete with PIREPs for icing from moderate to severe, kept me low. Everyone was tense and I was very busy fighting the turbulence. The headwinds put my groundspeed around 80 knots, which made it all the worse. Coming into KIPT I did a visual approach but I still flew the RNAV GPS 30 approach on ForeFlight because I knew there were mountains around that I couldn't see and with which I was unfamiliar. On final the gusts of winds made it rough but at least they were just 10 degrees off of the runway. Landed safely but at this point I was tired and I was sure nobody else was having fun. Asked the line service guy if we could get a rental car and he said he could have one in 5 minutes, so we took it. Sure, it was a 5 hour drive home versus a 2 hour flight with the headwinds, but the trade-off in ride quality was worth it.

There were times before dark where I could see an occasional hole in the clouds above me. I was tempted to climb through one and get above it, even though the headwinds at higher altitudes would've slowed me down even more if the ride was better. My concern was that then I might have been trapped above an icing layer with no sure way down. Yes, I can shoot an instrument approach but with the airplane's weight and the reported icing I didn't want to take that chance.

I went back the following Saturday to pick up my plane and fly her home solo. All went fine.

The point of all this is that being flexible about your travel plans is very important. I also selected KIPT because it was a Class D airport and figured that getting a rental car after sunset on a Sunday was more likely in case I needed that option. I'm rather proud of how I handled resisting the urge to just fly that last leg.

You're here to write about it - that's proof there that you made the right choice!

It's also quite surprising how tired you get from flying. Even in a pressurised plane, much more than 6hrs in the air rally gets to me. I've done up to 10hrs or longer on occasions, but then often with a decent lunch break in between or even a short nap in the plane. Add to that a night and bad weather approach at the very end of it and it can add to the danger.

If you're tired then drive. I would say that you made the right call.

Supurb decision making! So tell us how did your pax react to your decision to drive the next 5 hours?

Isn't it legal to fly over Canada sans passport? I thought as long as you don't land in Canada. (Am I splitting hairs) Or I guess next time ask your passengers to have their passports...

Thanks for the write up... A great example of the kind of decision making I would like to model.

Had a friend do that on his way home to New York. Parked it in Pennsylvania, drove home, and went back for the plane in a few days.

Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.

It's also quite surprising how tired you get from flying. Even in a pressurised plane, much more than 6hrs in the air rally gets to me. I've done up to 10hrs or longer on occasions, but then often with a decent lunch break in between or even a short nap in the plane. Add to that a night and bad weather approach at the very end of it and it can add to the danger.

Try using 02? :dunno:

I easily go 12 hours during the summer.

Isn't it legal to fly over Canada sans passport? I thought as long as you don't land in Canada. (Am I splitting hairs) Or I guess next time ask your passengers to have their passports...

Yes you can, but if weather or fuel forces you down. Then you'll have to deal with Customs.

You did fine.

The other option once in IPT would be to get a shuttle to a local hotel and spend the night. That was a fast moving front and passed you over night. Unless people really needed to get to work the next day.

The hotel vs two days with a rental car, you need to come back the next day for your plane anyway.

You're here to write about it - that's proof there that you made the right choice!

Not always, though. There are guys who take stupid chances and get away with it. That tends to make them think they're good. Until one day they don't...

Dan

Supurb decision making! So tell us how did your pax react to your decision to drive the next 5 hours?
Mostly they slept (Dramamine in them). When awake, they appreciated the smoother ride of a car but even then we were getting buffeted by the howling winds.

Correct, but I would've had to stop in Canada for fuel so the passport thing mattered. Recalling that KIAG was my original plan's fuel stop and their METAR was BLECH (yes, I think that should be an official METAR code) I'd have had to gone further west, after detouring north into Canada, to reach a USA airport with decent weather. With the winds aloft and my useable fuel I'd have not been able to make that, I think.

All that ignores that going over the lake is on the short list of things my wife prefers not to do in a plane. I fly over open water en route to Oshkosh, but always at 10,000'+ MSL. With the weather on the return I'm not sure I could've gone that high and if I did the headwinds probably would've been even worse.

Try using 02?

I easily go 12 hours during the summer.
If I'm going to be above 10,000' I always use oxygen. On my one day trip to KPHX it was 14 hours of flying and I was good, but the air was smooth! Getting beat up by turbulence really takes it out of me. Also, I find I fatigue a bit faster if I'm doing a lot of hard IFR flying versus a clear VFR day.

Sounds good. I had some difficulty driving back from indiana with our new puppy, the winds were so strong. I would not have wanted to be in an aircraft. Sounds like your ADM is working quite well.

If I'm going to be above 10,000' I always use oxygen. On my one day trip to KPHX it was 14 hours of flying and I was good, but the air was smooth! Getting beat up by turbulence really takes it out of me. Also, I find I fatigue a bit faster if I'm doing a lot of hard IFR flying versus a clear VFR day.

Try setting the min at 8K. ;)

If you have to absolutely positively be there next day, don't fly GA...

Seriously, I've always told anyone traveling with me to be prepared to buy a Southwest Ticket to get home if you can't wait.

Had to enact this once, but it was at the start of trip. There was no way to get where we wanted to go safely and in time so we all bought airline tickets, and had a great time. Flew GA the next year instead.

You and your passengers are alive, and the airplane is in good shape. Sounds like a great outcome to me.

Back