Deer strike tonight

If it’s a lycoming, and I was insured, you bet I’d have someone check the crankshaft gear. Might as well get a “free” overhaul out of it while you’re bothering with the rest. I see no good reason not to do so. It’s rare you can get insurance to pay for your overhaul.

In my case insurance is covering about 1/3 of the full overhaul with the engine shop, I wasn't planning to turn the prop strike teardown into an overhaul, but they found stuff unrelated to the prop strike that made the overhaul the best choice. If I had known earlier I probably would have put the money towards a full reman.

Not sure yet how much the removal and reinstall adds to the insurance companies bill.

In my case insurance is covering about 1/3 of the full overhaul with the engine shop, I wasn't planning to turn the prop strike teardown into an overhaul, but they found stuff unrelated to the prop strike that made the overhaul the best choice. If I had known earlier I probably would have put the money towards a full reman.

Not sure yet how much the removal and reinstall adds to the insurance companies bill.

Hmm, you going to take that offer or counter?

Hmm, you going to take that offer or counter?

Not really much to counter, the insurance covers the stuff on the Lycoming list for a sudden engine stoppage and any parts caused by that. The other items were obviously not due to that(almost certainly due to issues that occurred before I owned the plane) and are my problem, just repairing those would have been about 2/3 of the full overhaul(-1/3 by insurance) so adding a 'bit' more gets me the full thing done, and hopefully good for a while.

IOWs you needed an overhaul prior to hitting the deer.?

That's nothing I had 6 deer strikes this year. 4 with the crossbow, one with a rifle and one with a muzzleloader. :)

Sounds like he didn't know that the engine needed overhaul until it was opened for inspection after hitting the deer.
What does that say about his annual inspections.?

What does that say about his annual inspections.?

Nothing. To a kid with a hammer (engine shops,prop shops) everything is a nail. Its how they make their living. I saw the invoice for my wing repair my old ap submitted to the insurance company. He knows and I know what the difference would have been if he were to pull that stunt with me in the course of business (5 years) we did together. Bottom line, We re all innocent in shawshank, when it comes to that behavior. Its not just aviation.

As to the rest, Annual inspections don't split cases, and the need for an overhaul is coming from the opinion of those who stand to gain profit from it, so its hardly a given.

the decision to undergo the added expense for resale reasons is ultimately on the owner; personally i'd never let a shop bully me into rent seeking expenditures for the sake of resale value. If I had a forever airplane sure, but I don't. So if I hit something with my prop I'm Iran the thing to the insurance cost, and flying away for min out of pocket cost. My airframe is not worth bolting a new engine onto, especially as a non forever airplane.

My point being that theres plenty of scenarios where the default answer of acquiesing to the engine shops hankering for business is not at all the only one, let alone the right one.

To each their own though.

Sounds like he didn't know that the engine needed overhaul until it was opened for inspection after hitting the deer.
Well, it needed about 1/3 of an overhaul, excluding the cost to open the case. Now, if I had pulled a cylinder when I bought it, this would have been found. But otherwise the engine has been fine, compressions good, no filter metal, no anomalies on oil analysis. In all likelihood, except for the one lifter they found, it would have made it the next 700 hours to TBO without issue, but the chance you take when they open the case is that they find stuff that's not within specification even if the engine runs fine and may continue to run fine.

Now, admittedly, I'd have rather made it to TBO and gone with a reman to get rid of the dual mags and move to roller tappets, but oh well.

Well, it needed about 1/3 of an overhaul, excluding the cost to open the case. Now, if I had pulled a cylinder when I bought it, this would have been found. But otherwise the engine has been fine, compressions good, no filter metal, no anomalies on oil analysis. In all likelihood, except for the one lifter they found, it would have made it the next 700 hours to TBO without issue, but the chance you take when they open the case is that they find stuff that's not within specification even if the engine runs fine and may continue to run fine.

Now, admittedly, I'd have rather made it to TBO and gone with a reman to get rid of the dual mags and move to roller tappets, but oh well.
Then continue to fly off the free hours. When the engine tells you it need overhaul get it done. This engine may fly a couple hundred hours, then you can dump it on some unsuspecting JOE like it was dumped on you.

Back