Deep Thoughts about the pitot-static system

mryan75

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
mryan75
So we all know the potential issue where the pitot tube and drain hole are blocked (presumably by ice in the normal training scenario), and if you climb your airspeed will increase and if you descend, yada, yada, yada. Well I'm preparing for my instrument ride and I have this annoying need to understand things, even (or rather, particularly if) my assumptions are wrong.

To wit:

Assume you were flying along fat, dumb and happy, and your pitot tube and drain hole became clogged with ice. You're on a 3-hour cross country leg going from an area of high pressure to an area of low pressure. As you continued along, and the static pressure on the static side of the system got lower and lower, your indicated airspeed would increase, correct? (And the converse going from an area of low pressure to an area of high pressure). If so, would it be by an appreciable amount? Is it possible that it might change by 10-20 knots? I was contemplating a scenario where in cruise over a long period of time, you might not notice your airspeed dropping by that amount, or if you did you might not think much of it. Meanwhile as the pressure gets lower and your IAS keeps creeping up, you keep reducing power and unwittingly slowing down. This could eventually become an issue.

I got to thinking about this because we all know the other "high to low" scenario, which has to do with what the altimeter would indicate if you don't change the altimeter setting when going from high to low pressure. But I've never seen the scenario with the airspeed indicator addressed.

Thoughts?

Your line of thinking is correct, but I'm not sure it would be a significant amount. The variance will be a lot larger with a change in altitude than it would be crossing a pressure gradient. Remember 1"Hg =~ 1,000 feet.

Dynamic pressure pd = 1/2 ρ v^2 where ρ is density and v is true air speed.
Density of air = 1.2250 kg/m^3 at sea level and 15C
If v = 100 knots (51 m/s), the dynamic pressure will be 1618 N/m^2 (or 0.47 inches of Hg).
If v = 110 knots (56 m/s), the dynamic pressure will be 1955 N/m^2 (or 0.58 inches of Hg).

If you are flying along at 100 knots with a frozen pitot tube and drain hole, and the barometric pressure drops by 0.1 inches of Hg, your airspeed should now read about 110 knots.

TAS rule of thumb is add 3 kts per 1000 feet

Dynamic pressure pd = 1/2 ρ v^2 where ρ is density and v is true air speed.
Density of air = 1.2250 kg/m^3 at sea level and 15C
If v = 100 knots (51 m/s), the dynamic pressure will be 1618 N/m^2 (or 0.47 inches of Hg).
If v = 110 knots (56 m/s), the dynamic pressure will be 1955 N/m^2 (or 0.58 inches of Hg).

If you are flying along at 100 knots with a frozen pitot tube and drain hole, and the barometric pressure drops by 0.1 inches of Hg, your airspeed should now read about 110 knots.

Appreciate the knowledge. That would be rather significant, then, more than I would have expected. So if the pressure drops just 3-4 tenths, that's a pretty big difference in IAS if I'm understanding correctly.

How would you get airspeed if your pitot tube is blocked with ice? You did say pitot tube AND drain hole. Other than GPS measured airspeed, wouldn't it read zero if it was blocked?

How would you get airspeed if your pitot tube is blocked with ice? You did say pitot tube AND drain hole. Other than GPS measured airspeed, wouldn't it read zero if it was blocked?
I think the assumption is trapped pitot pressure at cruise speed that can’t leak down.

Here's a chart

At the airlines when someone was running pitot static checks with a Kollsman or Barfield and either forgot to connect the pitot or left the vent open the overspeed clacker would go off when they got to around 20,000 feet. Ask me how I know...

Last edited:
@mryan75 ... see if this helps.. (it's a good visualization of how ram air and static air work inside the ASI)

Ha, ha I had to go to the youtube site to see the comments but apparently in the land down under where things often go cattywhumpers an acronym like 'PUDSUC' doesn't elicit any response. ;)

Back