Decorated Navy Seal perishes in Cirrus crash Jessup GA 4 -6-23

oh, Howard Wasdin. I read his book several years ago, about his service with the Seals. Interesting story a I recall. RIP Dr Wasdin

Sad ... found about a 1/4 mile away from the airport. :(

That sucks. I've heard that people who come from high risk experiences tend to seek out high risk experiences. Not sure if that was the case here, but VFR under a 300' ceiling is pretty high risk. Maybe he thought he was ok and just misjudged. Hard to believe he didn't understand the risk.

Retired USN myself, but certainly I wasn’t a SEAL. I knew many though, great people. I didn’t have the privilege to know this veteran. Fair winds and following seas Shipmate. RIP.

Sad and probably avoidable incident. Surprised no post crash fire given it was a cirrus.

Jeez... what a waste. AWOS reported 300' ceilings. RNAV approach has a DA of 268. Had he flown the approach, we might not have this thread.

It did say he was instrument rated, but this flight was operated VFR. I didn’t see mention of hours.

Even if it was an IFR flight, there’s the reported 1/4 mile visibility to deal with. The real answer is, fly whatever part of the trip you can, land short, notify friends & family of such.

Why? Just why do smart people do these risky things? Why be instrument rated if you arent going to take advantage of it?

Sad and tragic. May he RIP.

Wow... 300 AGL VFR. We all make dumb decisions. That kind of flying isn't for me anymore

Why? Just why do smart people do these risky things? Why be instrument rated if you arent going to take advantage of it?

Sad and tragic. May he RIP.

Smart people? Everything is relative. And although some
are afraid to state the obvious, I'll just come out and say it.

This was not a smart move - that's a nice way to put it. And
unfortunately, it turned out to be fatal.

Last edited:
Smart people? Everything is relative. And although some
are afraid to state the obvious, I'll just come out and say it.

This was not a smart move - that's a nice way to put it. And
unfortunately, it turned out to be fatal.

You know, I think we all do dumb things. I try very hard, specifically as a pilot, not to do dumb things. But I do believe that as pilots, none of us are immune to doing something like this unless we really buy into adm and are working diligently not to do stuff like this. Even then, one slip up can and will kill you.

As a pilot whose kept himself, family, friends, people on the ground alive
for 25 years of active flying, I try hard not to do stupid things as well.
And, so far, so good.

But this accident takes stupid to another level AND I am immune to
doing something like this. I'm not immune to doing other stupid things,
but this one takes the cake. He flew regularly for work (chiropractor),
so he should have been instrument current if owned a plane (which I do)
and I was expecting to be using it for work. I read in another article that
he was flying to work that morning. But it doesn't seem like he was
instrument current - if so, he should have filed IFR. But to go VFR into
a hard IFR airport and NOT shoot a perfectly fine RNAV (LPV) approach to
that very runway that he was supposed to land on is something that I
would never do.

Also, to try to stay alive, I work regularly on my instrument skills - just
shot a practice low approach (RNAV - LNAV + V) into KFIN today - the
weather was VFR, but it's good practice. I think that the 6/6/6 rule is
way too lenient if you want to be proficient on instruments in high-
performance aircraft.

Last edited:
This comes down to ‘get-there-itis’ and being unwilling to change, adjust or cancel the plans as the day approaches. Flying a light plane around requires cooperative weather. Often with a day or two flexibility one can parse the trip with portions of the time.

Yes, instrument flying allows more options, still not great ones with 300 OVC.

Just to delve deeper, the flight was from FL to NW GA, flying by Atlanta. I looked at the weather near & after the time at ATL, very workable. Of course towards N GA the terrain rises some.

Most of us have some type of onboard wx, yes the windows too. Plenty of options to land short around Atlanta.

KATL 061452Z 15004KT 10SM FEW100 SCT150 BKN200 BKN250 24/18 A3026 RMK AO2 SLP237 ACC NE E SE T02390183 51017
KATL 061552Z 21004KT 10SM FEW032 SCT100 BKN200 BKN250 26/19 A3025 RMK AO2 SLP235

Last edited:
I don't know...with the background of this guy, I wouldn't expect someone that was careless. It seems to me likely that he was completely aware of the risks and just proceeded ahead anyway. Maybe because he didn't care as much as some of us would, maybe because he'd been in more dangerous situations and survived, and comparatively this seemed less dangerous. I'm not going to second guess the motivations of someone that was part of our forces in Somalia. That was a CF of epic proportion, and from all accounts I've heard not because of the people on the ground there. As per usual. Hope his family is doing OK.

Back