declaring an emergency

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
I was kind of hopeing I'd never have to write a post like this. But at least I'm still here to write the post.

So. I recentely obtained my complex and high performance checkout and decided I'd go up with a friend for my first solo flight. This was in a Beechcraft Sierra.

Everything went pretty much like normal, Did the runup, took off and headed to the practice area. I climbed to about 3000 ft or so AGL and did a few clearing turns. My friend wanted to see a stall. I Dropped the gear went in slow flight with flaps, pulled the power and did the stall . This is where things got interesting, I went to recover from the stall and the throttle moved about one inch forward. That was it. Without even thinking I pitched for best glide and did a steep turn for the airport and raised the gear. I then tried to push the throttle as hard as I could but it still wouldn't budge. I had about 30% power if that. I tried rotating it, I tried everything. It was <b>stuck</b>. I leaned it out to get more power

I then contacted approach, declared an emergency and did some quick math to see if I'd make the airport. Turns out I should make the airport. I couldn't maintain altitude at all. I continuted to fight the throttle, But still nothing. I just watched the altitude tick away and the airport get closer. My passenger's face was a bit white. I then went over the emergency procedures incase we weren't going to make the airport. I continuted to look for good fields around and there was several . I finally ended up getting about 1 mile from the airport and it was obvious. I'll make it. I kept it high on final. Dropped the gear, added a tad bit of flaps and kept myself way above the glideslope. This runway was 9,500 ft. I then dropped the gear and put it in a slip . I wondered if I'd be able to pull the power when I needed to. If not I'd just kill the engine. I went over it all in my head about 50 times and verified that the gear was down multiple times. It seemed like a long final.

I knew I had the runway made and pulled like hell on the throttle and it came back to idle. I made a very smooth landing and it had just enough power to taxi back to the FBO.

All in all it went well, I was very cool headed and thought everything through completely.

Cool... it's nice when you can get things to work out so well !
Were the ponies pushing back on the throttle or what did the A&P say ?

Dave Krall CFII said:
Cool... it's nice when you can get things to work out so well !
Were the ponies pushing back on the throttle or what did the A&P say ?
A&P said something about a ball jumping out of a slot or something?

jangell said:
A&P said something about a ball jumping out of a slot or something?

Sounds like the slot-ball jump retainer might have went TU, or worse.
Wish I knew more about them.
Keep us posted.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Sounds like the slot-ball jump retainer might have went TU, or worse.
Wish I knew more about them.
Keep us posted.
Will do.
smigaldi said:
Good job, congrats!! You da'man!

Sounds like you did a great job!!
I have never heard of anything like that happening before.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Very good job! You should congratulate yourself for handling the situation professionally under pressure!

Nice job Jesse! Between the way you handled my airplanes and your handling of this episode, I see a very bright future in aviation for you.

BTW, I think you need to add a few airplanes to your sig line.

lancefisher said:
Nice job Jesse! Between the way you handled my airplanes and your handling of this episode, I see a very bright future in aviation for you.

BTW, I think you need to add a few airplanes to your sig line.

Ah yes, I forgot to update it.

and thanks everyone for all the positive comments.

lancefisher said:
FWIW, the official designation for my Porterfield is CP-65.
I tried to google it, Not easy to find any information on.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back