Declared my first emergency the other day

greghughes

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GregPDX
On start of descent from 3500 AGL into Creswell, Oregon on Saturday morning for a fly-in, my Warrior's engine cowling/cover door suddenly popped up and bent itself in place. At first I wondered if the door had just departed the airplane completely, but then I looked over the dash and I could see it was clearly bent and deformed there, not in the right place. The "pop" noise and the sudden appearance of the cowling in my field of view surprised me, to say the least. The plane was still flying fine and nothing else was wrong that I could see, but I was worried about the *why* and was not sure if I had been hit by a bird (there were a couple of hawks flying very close by) or if something had broken on the cowling. Also, I could not tell from inside the plane for sure if anything else was wrong.

I called on the radio to the other pilots that were setting up to land at the airport and advised them I was not declaring an emergency per se, but that I had either been hit or had some sort of broken cowling issue, and that I was planning to land as usual. As I flew the plane and thought about it some more, the airport manager came on the radio and told me I was welcome to have the airport to myself and declare an emergency if I had any concern at all. Realizing that was the best decision, I decided to make a precautionary landing via the shortest distance possible, which would take me straight in to land on the runway in the direction opposite of that which other airplanes were using. I declared the emergency on the radio as a precautionary measure ("I'm declaring a precautionary emergency" is what I said, although I suppose an emergency is basically an emergency - I guess I could have called "Pan Pan Pan" instead, but this was an uncontrolled airport and I was already talking to the others there), and landed without any problems. All the pilots in the area immediately cleared the pattern and were very helpful.

Once on the ground and parked, I discovered a latch on the engine cowling cover had apparently failed and a small part of it had departed the airplane - It was simply gone. I had carefully closed and checked all of the latches during my pre-flight (and this is the side where the oil is checked). Needless to say the remaining three latches got a very close looking-over before I was willing to fly again. Nothing else was wrong with the plane, but the cowling had bent and jammed itself in the edge of the engine compartment and stuck there. I think I'm quite lucky the damage was so limited. The aircraft mechanic who was at the field repaired the latch and quickly reshaped cowling cover for me, for the very fair price of $20. The situation certainly could have been a lot worse.

Everyone at Creswell was concerned and helpful, and in the end it was a good experience. But, for a handful of seconds there when the cowling first broke loose and before I realized everything was essentially stable, I was trying to figure out where I was going to find a clean set of shorts. :)

I hope I don't have to do that again any time soon. Anyhow, plane was repaired and declared good to go, and the rest of the day was typical flying and uneventful. A good day really - A whole new experience (which I hope not to repeat any time soon) and a nice day in the air.

This image is exactly how the door lodged itself in the engine cowling. The thumbnail below also shows the latch with the missing fastener, which had departed the plane.

attachment.php

Attachments

• plane-one.jpg
    plane-one.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 412
  • plane-two.jpg
    plane-two.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Good on you for declaring an emergency. You never know what will come loose next and somehow block your vision.

Also, with the cowl open like that, you have lost the positive air pressure that pushes the cooling air through the cylinder fins. If you had taken off like that, and/or flown an extended climb, you would be running the risk of overheating the jugs on that side. I'm glad for you it all turned out ok! -Skip

Good job always better to be safe.Lucky the cowling got stuck leaving your field of vision in tack.

I have had that exact same thing happen on a Warrior, at about 400 feet AGL after takeoff. I was giving a passenger her first ride in a small airplane, and all she said was, "Ummm, was it supposed to do that?" I just flew around the pattern and landed, but I wondered the whole time what I'd do if the whole thing broke loose and departed, hopefully not into the windshield. But, it just stayed wedged like that until I landed and parked. Presumably also a defective fastener, since I had checked the oil and secured it on preflight inspection. As in your case, it was gone when I landed. Glad it worked out well.

Good lord that's obnoxious. Couldn't take 15 seconds to skim the story and figure out there were no injuries, so you spend the time to tell him his story is "too long; didn't read" and wait for a response?

I went back and read the story after I posted. I was still unclear whether there were any injuries. The moment it bent could have shocked the cabin and caused injury. That's why I was asking.

Nice write up and it sounds like you were more excited writing than flying it. You show us newbies, don't panic, Aviate, navigate, communicate! Thanks for sharing

Someone refresh my memory here. When is it necessary to report a declared emergency to the FAA? I can't remember from my private training.

How much paperwork is involved if you declare an emergency?

How much added workload does declaring an emergency impose?

How much of an inconvenience is it to other pilots if you declare an emergency?

Don't hesitate to declare! Because you never know when your situation may suddenly change and you wish you had declared. Imagine if the cowl broke mad busted the windshield while you were on final.... Help may be much farther away if you wait.....

Just my 2 Pennines... Also what I'm getting at is... Declare early and don't hesitate :)

Someone refresh my memory here. When is it necessary to report a declared emergency to the FAA? I can't remember from my private training.

Check under Part 830.
This would not be an accident. Seems to be an incident. No control tower at Creswell so nothing to report re emergency call on CTAF.

Check under Part 830.
This would not be an accident. Seems to be an incident. No control tower at Creswell so nothing to report re emergency call on CTAF.

Who has the right-of-way over all other aircraft?

There's always a reason to declare :). Sounded like there were multiple other aircraft inbound or operating at the airport.

Sounds like you handled well and appropriately. So now challenge yourself - was there ANYthing you overlooked, said "eh, that'll be fine", didn't do, could have done better, etc., etc., that might have prevented this from happening in the first place?

Not accusing at all, just using it as a learning experience for everyone.

Good lord that's obnoxious. Couldn't take 15 seconds to skim the story and figure out there were no injuries, so you spend the time to tell him his story is "too long; didn't read" and wait for a response?

That guy never has anything to contribute.

OP I think the cowl of the warriors is a bit of a weak point and they do need attention. At least one of our club's warriors have homemade riveted aluminum reinforcements to beef up the attachment points that failed on yours. Homemade is by our A&P of course and the repair looked pretty well done.

Well said, thanks.

To the OP - Thanks for sharing and the photos. I am glad you're ok and got off cheap to boot! $20? Gotta be the cheapest airplane part ever! lol

I am glad you're ok and got off cheap to boot! $20? Gotta be the cheapest airplane part ever! lol

Yeah that's what I thought, too. I sent him a check for a little more than that though. :) If you're ever there, Viper Aviation is the place to go. He's been there for (I think) something like 19 years.

OP I think the cowl of the warriors is a bit of a weak point and they do need attention. At least one of our club's warriors have homemade riveted aluminum reinforcements to beef up the attachment points that failed on yours. Homemade is by our A&P of course and the repair looked pretty well done.

I've seen that "beef-up" reinforcement, in fact saw a flight school's Warrior with that exact reinforcement at Oshkosh a couple weeks ago. In this case, it was the butterfly/wingnut style fastener that came loose and left the plane, which basically means the split retaining washer/ring must have broken. Or that's my best guess.

Sounds like you handled well and appropriately. So now challenge yourself - was there ANYthing you overlooked, said "eh, that'll be fine", didn't do, could have done better, etc., etc., that might have prevented this from happening in the first place?

Not accusing at all, just using it as a learning experience for everyone.

I welcome that sort of question. It's exactly what I would ask, and exactly what I asked myself that day (once on the ground). All I can think of is that the fasteners are supposed to "click" into place about half-way through the quarter turn, and I shodl have checked that better probably, adn now I know for sure to look carefully to make sure the retaining ring/washer is in place on the back side of the fasteners. You can rest assured that won't ever get missed in the future. Other than that, I specifically recall checking and double-checking that the latches were in fact latched and that the latch itself was sitting under the clip as it is supposed to.

Who has the right-of-way over all other aircraft?

There's always a reason to declare :). Sounded like there were multiple other aircraft inbound or operating at the airport.

Yes, there were at least two in the air and one on the ground preparing I think to take off straight toward me. The very professional airport manager type person on the handheld was also very helpful in making sure everyone steered clear.

Nice write up and it sounds like you were more excited writing than flying it. You show us newbies, don't panic, Aviate, navigate, communicate! Thanks for sharing

Good way to describe it. I used to be a cop, so I don't get excited too easily. Been though too many panic moments in the past to freak out when something goes sideways. But I was concerned, mainly since I could not see what other damage there might be and because I did not know what had caused it.

I have had that exact same thing happen on a Warrior, at about 400 feet AGL after takeoff. I was giving a passenger her first ride in a small airplane, and all she said was, "Ummm, was it supposed to do that?" I just flew around the pattern and landed, but I wondered the whole time what I'd do if the whole thing broke loose and departed, hopefully not into the windshield. But, it just stayed wedged like that until I landed and parked. Presumably also a defective fastener, since I had checked the oil and secured it on preflight inspection. As in your case, it was gone when I landed. Glad it worked out well.

It wedged just like mine did? If so, that's just crazy. Huh.

Good on you for declaring an emergency. You never know what will come loose next and somehow block your vision.

Also, with the cowl open like that, you have lost the positive air pressure that pushes the cooling air through the cylinder fins. If you had taken off like that, and/or flown an extended climb, you would be running the risk of overheating the jugs on that side. I'm glad for you it all turned out ok! -Skip

Yeah, that's not the main reason I slowed down the airplane initially - I just wanted to reduce the fast air moving over the sheet metal that was hanging out in the wind. But when I saw how bent it was the heat concern occurred to me eventually, but by then I was already at best glide.

Great job Greg.

Rule #1. Fly the airplane.
Rule #2. Refer to rule number 1.

If anyone thinks these repeated admonitions don't make a difference, let me tell you this: The very words that I have heard and read over and over were actively playing in my head: "Fly the airplane, fly the airplane, fly the airplane." Geico, you nailed it.

Never. There are several reasons you might have to call the NTSB, but this isn't one of them. You might have to report broken flight rules if asked, but none were broken, and nothing was asked. Read the regs.

To the OP, nice job following the first two rules of aviation.

Last edited:
Couple years ago, I was flying with a friend (Barry Bomer) in his Warrior when that same latch failed on rotation. I was so proud of how he coolly and quickly surveyed the situation and remaining runway and put her back down with at least 25 feet to spare. Good job, Barry. :yikes::hairraise:

Hmmm...sounds like it's not that uncommon of a failure on the Warriors. Before reading this thread, I'd never heard of it happening to anyone besides me. Interesting.

Back