Decisions, decisions....

Brian Austin

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Austin
So I'm looking through my latest copy of Sport Aviation, thinking "I could build that...or that...hmmm, even that". Last night I was doing some window shopping, thinking "I could buy that...or that....hmmm, even that".

So what to do?

Early next year (2006), I'll be set up to go purchase my first plane. I've already started shopping, of course (do any of us really STOP?), thinking and rethinking about different factors. I know some people wake up in the morning, know EXACTLY what kind of plane they want to own and buy it. I'm not one of those people.

The basic mission profile: 2 people 90% of the time, a couple of pieces of luggage, my flyrods (duh, yes, you HAVE to take all of them), 5 hours fuel for about 3 hours flying time (bladder limit, really), good short and rough field performance, 110kt to 150kt cruise, age not a factor, VFR flying mostly but IFR certified so I can get my IR in it later. I'm not setting a budget now, as you'll see.

If I spend less than $25K, I can probably just write a check for it (yeah, no payments!). Anything over that and I'll just make a healthy downpayment and keep the rest as reserve/upgrade account.

To add to the mix, I'm fairly handy and could build something, even from plans. I've thought about just getting a 2-seater taildragger for a timebuilder while I build my dream plane (a Bearhawk at the moment). Or I disregard the purchase and go straight for the build while I continue to rent. Or I disregard the build altogether, spend it all on nice C182 and call it good. Or...sigh.

So many variables and options!!! Do I buy a plane for getting into the air but not really long term? Or do I just get what I THINK I want right away, comfortable in the fact that I'm purchasing for 10+ years at least? Someone posted a nice thread (Rich?) on "how did you find your plane?"

My question is: "how did you decide your plane was the plane you wanted at the time?"

BA you really do have to set your financial pegs first. There are some very cherry C185's out there that are the size of a small home mortgage.

I had no intention of getting a multi when I bought the Seneca II. I was looking for a C210 but this one came up, made sense, and there it was.

A C170 would also do, but this is a very different A/C from it's much bigger brother..

Brian,

This is why I keep renting and not buying.

I'm buying a new car in a couple weeks, and that's EASY. I know my mission, I know how and where I'm going to use it, I know how much I want to spend, I know brands and models and I have 35 years of driving experience, so it's easy because there is so much that I know. Airplanes, on the other hand, are still not enough embedded in my experience.

Maybe it's just a matter of time for you.

Bruce has the right idea.... it will come down to the financial peg.

I bought my Commander mostly because I always liked the looks of them, and because they had a good, steady flight profile. I decided on turbocharging because I wanted to go high (think less turbulance, less traffic, crossing mountains, etc.). I looked at 2 or three before I settled on the one I have. It came well equipped for IFR flight, but of course I couldn't leave that alone.

I fly it alone most of the time, but it really is a 2 person airplane. You can get 3 lighter folks in with reduced fuel, but 4 is impossible.

Once you figure out the cost picture, it'll let you know which doors can be opened. Add plenty of money for upgrades. There are a number of planes that meet your basic profile at various price points.

Back