Decided to start my IFR

mscottfl

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Marc
It's been just under a year since my private pilot check ride and sadly I havent gotten in too much air time. I think I am a victim of the "I don't have a reason to be at the airport every week so I don't make the time to fly" mentality. Once the rides to friends and family were over, life just got in the way. I always thought that IFR training would be beneficial in many ways. Most importantly it would make me a more confident and skilled pilot, especially for longer trips. I have made the commitment to start that training in October. I have heard that its challenging, but I know it will be worth it in the end for sure. Any tips or advice are welcome! I'm really excited to get started and back on a routine of flying again.

Any tips or advice are welcome!

Don't look out the window!

Okay, a bit more seriously: do the homework, take the time to learn the academic side 'cause you'll need to know what is expected of you while flying in the system. Practice makes perfect and there is a lot to practice at the next level of license to learn...

Perhaps ask yourself why? Why the ifr if you aren't using the ppl that much?

It's been just under a year since my private pilot check ride and sadly I havent gotten in too much air time. I think I am a victim of the "I don't have a reason to be at the airport every week so I don't make the time to fly" mentality. Once the rides to friends and family were over, life just got in the way. I always thought that IFR training would be beneficial in many ways. Most importantly it would make me a more confident and skilled pilot, especially for longer trips. I have made the commitment to start that training in October. I have heard that its challenging, but I know it will be worth it in the end for sure. Any tips or advice are welcome! I'm really excited to get started and back on a routine of flying again.

I'll only say that getting my IR was even more rewarding than getting my PPL.

Perhaps ask yourself why? Why the ifr if you aren't using the ppl that much?

This.

IFR would be cool, and when I get my PPL, it might be next on the list. However if I end up not flying much, I am not going to do it.

Unless you don't fly because you're worried you forgot to much to do it or something.

Even if that was the case, i would go for endorsements first (tail dragger, complex, high performance, floats).

Even if that was the case, i would go for endorsements first (tail dragger, complex, high performance, floats).

Doin' fine 'til ya suggested floats as an endorsment, that's a SES checkride.

Watch out for the KFMY tower. Though I was never the victim of her wrath there evidently is a controller in the tower that is known to be not very personable. Other than that and being careful with what ATC tells you, among other things they once gave me clearance to a waypoint in New Jersey.

Unfortunately, true IMC is somewhat limited. I got about 4 hours of true IMC before I did my checkride.

It's a blast. I fly out of KPGD and used a local instructor from there. I assume you are using Paragon. I have not done anything with them personally, but know someone who did their commercial with them and was quite happy.

Good luck.

Doug

Who are you flying with? I was in cub club for a few years. Miss that fl weather.

Watch out for the KFMY tower. Though I was never the victim of her wrath there evidently is a controller in the tower that is known to be not very personable. Other than that and being careful with what ATC tells you, among other things they once gave me clearance to a waypoint in New Jersey.

Doug

The guy you are thinking of flipped out and quit in the past year or so. The rest of the tower and rsw approach were always helpful.

Marc, I was 28 when I got my PPL in 1981. I bought an airplane (1968 Cherokee 160) and was encouraged by my CFII to work in my instrument rating. My words to all young pilots: Get your IFR ticket and then yow will understand how much you didn't know when you got your private pilot license.

My words to anxious spouses: If you love your husband/wife and want to help make sure they come home safe, demand that they get an instrument license. Remember JFK, Jr?

I got my PPL in summer of '10 and my IR in summer of '11. I have my own plane and have managed ~80 hrs / yr so far, and think I will be able to maintain 40-60/yr going forward.

I am glad I got my IR--definitely no regrets.

But even with owning my own plane and making aviation a lifestyle choice--it's my primary form of personal recreation and a priority for my leisure time--I can tell it will be an ongoing challenge to remain IFR legal / proficient. There aren't enough opportunities for me to log actual to meet the 6 approaches + hold every 6 months requirement, and it's been a challenge to match schedules with fellow pilots to trade off safety pilot time.

I now know a CFI with a certified sim rig that I can use to meet the requirements if I can't check them off in the plane, which will help tremendously. I plan to take recurrent training with him anyway to see scenarios that can't easily / safely be duplicated in flight, and to help maintain / improve my knowledge and skills. But I'm not sure that's a resource that's commonly available to every pilot.

If I were a renter and/or flying infrequently and didn't know a CFI with a sim rig, I think it would be hard for me to keep my IFR ticket legal and skills proficient.

I work in a place that tends to have a high density of private pilots in the population. I have many colleagues at work who have achieved their IR, then almost immediately let it lapse and have never used it since. From what you've described of yourself, I think there's a strong possibility you could fall into that pattern.

Getting an IR is an accomplishment, and can be rewarding in and of itself. You will likely be a better VFR pilot after getting your IR, even if you never fly "in the system".

But make sure that's enough for you before committing the time and money to do it. It sounds to me like you may not get to use it enough to be of a real benefit in actual weather.

Have a plan to use it, or it is just wasted $

Would guess that it depends where you live, eh? Up here in the Great Lakes area, seems like an IR would be quite handy.

Have a plan to use it, or it is just wasted $

Not necessarily. It is a challenge in and of itself, and once you have the rating, it is always there. If you let it rust, you'll need some oil, that's all.

It's a blast. I fly out of KPGD and used a local instructor from there. I assume you are using Paragon. I have not done anything with them personally, but know someone who did their commercial with them and was quite happy.

Thanks Doug! Yes I am using Paragon. I feel like the IFR will just make me a better pilot, more proficient, more confident etc. Not to mention that its an excuse to get in the air. Used or not, the knowledge is something that I just think would be invaluable. I appreciate all the feedback guys.

My biggest challenge since getting my PPL was meeting other pilots in the local area. Always nice to fly with someone and share the experience (and even the expense). Thanks for letting me bounce some ideas off my virtual hangar friends.

Last edited:
Back