Decent Ride for a Slightly Chubby Guy!

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by CT-Pilot, Sep 11, 2019 at 1:20 AM.

1. CT-Pilot

CT-Pilot Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Drew
    So, I'm a 6'2", 260lb, northeastern US pilot looking for a fun and capable (enough) ride. Two seats is fine as I typically fly alone but could occasionally have someone ride along. Would have access to a 172 and Archer if needed for weight, range, etc.

My typical mission would be $100 lunch runs, overnight (light) camping trips, visiting friends, etc. Flights of maybe 2 to 2.5 tops with 1 to 1.5 much more likely/often. Again, I have access to a 172 and Archer, so speed is not a concern - just want something fun. Ability to operate into/out of grass strips down to say 1,500' with ease (flying solo) would be something I would really like as I quite enjoy flying on grass/gravel. Would be typical grass runways, not true "backcountry" type stuff, but STC availability for larger tires (say 8.5s) would be nice.

>>>EDIT>>> Looking for $45K or less. Realized that would be immensely important info. I mean, who wouldn't love a Carbon Cub, but can't swing that!!

Thoughts/recommendations? Hope to have my tailwheel endorsement soon, so obviously they can be in the mix.

Thanks,

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 11:32 PM
  2. Tarheelpilot

Tarheelpilot En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tarheelpilot
    Husky, cub, c180, super D/citabria

If experimental ok the list get longer. I like the rv-8 a lot. Plenty of homebuilts meet your mission.

GRG55 likes this.
  3. ORich

ORich Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    ChampDriver
    A Champ would work well, I used to be your weight, now I,m 200#. I own a Champ with a c85. This would fit you comfortably
    getting in and out of the aircraft is very easy, and with a C85 or C90 you can operate easily in and out of 1500 feet , and with 5 gallon wing tanks you'll have a little over 3 hour endurance. There are STC's for the 8.50 tires as well. They are docile, slow, & cheap.

GRG55 likes this.
  4. GRG55

GRG55 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Aztec Flyer
    I'm 6'4" about 235 lbs (down from 240 recently).

I've got a Husky on 8.5s, and with some minor upholstery modifications I fit in the front seat fine.
    The posts above are good choices depending on budget, desired cruise speed and useful load. I'd take the Citabria or Champ over the Cub just because of ease of ingress/egress.
    You might also want to check out the Piper Pacer, although I find them a bit short of legroom at my height. The 150 hp ones can be run on mogas.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 6:02 AM
  5. Terry M - 3CK (Chicago)

Terry M - 3CK (Chicago) Pre-takeoff checklist PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Terry
    You didn’t mention a budget . . .

@ORich what are your thoughts around the wooden spar?

6. Clip4

Clip4 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cli4ord
  7. Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Light and Sporty Guy
    1500 feet is enough for me to do a stop and go on pavement. For grass, I would probably taxi back. And, you can put on any size tires you want.
    Merlin GT.

8. NordicDave

NordicDave Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    NordicDave
    182 1964 to current. Taller cabin and 4" wider than 172 and 1000-1300 # useful load depending on model year and equipment.

ktup-flyer likes this.
  9. Silvaire

Silvaire En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Silvaire
    I don't know of any STC for 8.50's on a Champ, you can put 8.00's on per the TCDS or you can put on the 26 inch Airstreaks but they are $1200 a piece. If you can find a 7EC or one of the converted 7FC's they have a C90, full electric and two 13 gallon wing tanks. Still a 1940's design so not built with the typical portly 21st century man in mind but for the era they have more room than most others. You said you aren't concerned with speed, that's good because speedy they aren't but you'll find that even at 85 mph if you keep it pointed in the same direction for long enough you can actually get somewhere.

10. Zeldman

Zeldman Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Billy
  11. DFH65

DFH65 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    DFH65
    J5, PA12 (wide body cubs). Piper Colt or Tripacer are a little tighter headroom wise IMO but have good useful load. I am same height but a bit heavier than you and fly a Champ often I don't know if I would say they are easy to get in but not nearly as hard as say a J3 or a Super Cub. The only thing with a Champ is the the stock 65 HP engines are just enough. It is amazing the difference another 20 HP makes. Speaking of that I learned TW in an 11CC Super Chief and they are fun planes too that one had an 85HP.

12. SoonerAviator

SoonerAviator En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    SoonerAviator
    Yeah, without a general budget for purchase price/operating costs, there's a pretty wide gamut of aircraft that'll fit the bill. Results could go from a Husky to a 180 to a Stearman.

13. Dana

Dana Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dana
    Had a guy here at SNC about the OP's size who flew an Avid (almost the same thing as a Kitfox). Usually solo, but he said he took his wife occasionally... never met her but I'm guessing she was rather small.

14. CT-Pilot

CT-Pilot Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Drew
    Added edit above. Price point would preferably be $45K or less (the lesser the better!).

15. Eric Stoltz

Eric Stoltz Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    ES
    Sport, Sundowner, Sierra. I'm about your size and like the two doors, built like shtibrickhouse, and their slow speed. Not to mention plenty of shoulder and belly room. Me and the misses'ss's hips fit with my shoulders.

schmookeeg likes this.