decent NYC hotels

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
hi all

any decent but not outrageous hotel you would reco for NYC? this is a business trip, early December (prime season) and my boss seems to think I can get something for 250 bucks a night. I've looked, and there isn't any place HE would stay for 250 bucks a night, that time of year. even some two stars are running 350 bucks a night.

The expedia packages for just minimally decent (IMHO) seem to start at no less than 1100 bucks for two nights hotel and RT flight to Newark.

I've stayed in a number of different hotels myself, on my own dime, but, looking them up now - he'd faint if he saw what they were in early December.

We fly into Newark and TEB all the time. We try and say at the hotels in Seacaus, NJ. There is a Holiday Inn, Embasay Suites, Amerisuites, and etc. there. The prices will probably be in the mid 100's during that time. I think it's a $2.60, 15 min bus ride into the port authority. It's just easier to get in and out. Just an idea incase you do not want to stay in the city.

Brent Bradford
http://members.cox.net/brent.bradford/

Brent Bradford said:
We fly into Newark and TEB all the time. We try and say at the hotels in Seacaus, NJ. There is a Holiday Inn, Embasay Suites, Amerisuites, and etc. there. The prices will probably be in the mid 100's during that time. I think it's a $2.60, 15 min bus ride into the port authority. It's just easier to get in and out. Just an idea incase you do not want to stay in the city.

Brent Bradford
http://members.cox.net/brent.bradford/

thanks Brent! I definitely want to stay in the city though. I mean hey, when I have downtime, I'm going to be out and about, you know? :cheerswine:

this time is peak tourist season - every goes to NYC for shopping and the Xmas decorations, and shows.

Beth,

As you've discovered, timing is everything. I've stayed at really nice hotels (like the Marquis on Times Square) for well under $200. I've also paid upwards of $350 on fairly short notice.

I can suggest shopping Expedia, Travelocity, and Hotels.com. If you've got a travel agent, they sometimes have negotiated rates - as do larger companies. Sometimes the web sites purchase blocks of rooms and sell them at lower prices than you can find elsewhere.... especially on short notice. A little over a year ago, I did that, and I was able to stay at a 4-star hotel for under $300 while a colleague ended up at a Days Inn for $300 or so.

YMMV.

Beth:

I've got no idea of quality or price, but you might want to check the Club Quarters hotel at William and Pine Streets, just a block north of Wall Street. It is a great location for downtown business and a crappy location for everything else.

-Skip

thanks everyone! I think I must be a hotel snob. I've always stayed at relatively nice places in NY & I'm afraid I'm spoiled. timing is definitely it - this has got to be the prime tourist season - Xmas shopping and NY social scene all in one. I'd be curious if this is the busiest season for hotels or not. we'll see, the figure isn't cut in stone, I just think he hasn't been there during this time period before.

edit:

I called the place having the conference. they have a hotel with a block rate - New York Hilton and Towers, for only 289 a night. now THAT's more like it. :yes:

I'll check with my boss but I think he'll ok it. whew. close one. thanks everyone. :blowingkisses:

Last edited:
woodstock said:
thanks Brent! I definitely want to stay in the city though. I mean hey, when I have downtime, I'm going to be out and about, you know? :cheerswine:

this time is peak tourist season - every goes to NYC for shopping and the Xmas decorations, and shows.

LOL good luck! I will say, you do have to stay in town at least once. My wife and I went last year before Xmas. She just "had" to stay in town. So we got a $350 room at the "W" hotel. It was seriously small. You had to turn sideways to get out of bed b/c the walls were so close. It was hailrous. We had a great time making fun of it. Now when she goes on our Part 91 trips with me, she makes sure we stay in Seacaus. It's just too easy to get into town from there because it drops you into basically Times Square. However, you DO HAVE to stay in town at least once during peak season! :) Have fun!

We stayed at the Waldorf Astoria last year for about $350/night. Wasn't too expensive considering the location!

AirBaker said:
We stayed at the Waldorf Astoria last year for about $350/night. Wasn't too expensive considering the location!

not at all! I'd consider that for myself. what time period?

I think we found the rate online. Might have even been on their own website. This was the first week of DEC last year.

AirBaker said:

I paid under $200 there in January.... :D

There's a box at the corner of 63rd and....

wsuffa said:
I paid under $200 there in January.... :D

so far, my favorite place to stay in NYC is the Parker Meridien.

which alas isn't 200 bucks.

Last edited:
I like this place
http://www.wjhotel.com/

There's a subway stop close. Easy walk to theatre, etc.

The rooms are kind of small but very modern.

This place is in Murray Hill.
http://www.thirtythirty-nyc.com/

Close to Park Ave. and easy bus and subway connections.
Small Rooms but clean and modern.

Back