December 7

AcroGimp

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
AcroGimp
73 years ago today Imperial Japan attacked the United States at Pearl Harbor to try and keep us out of the Pacific as they extended their empire. Their pre-emptive strategy backfired as they miscalculated the will, resolve and capacity of America and Her people to fight the good fight when called upon.

2,403 American servicemen were lost on the morning of December 7th, 1941, and over the next 4 years nearly half a million more Americans would give their lives, with a further 670,000 injured as America and the Allies fought to remove the governments in Germany, Japan and their Axis partners.

Now, some 7 decades later, nations who were once enemies are friends having earned a place at the table of civilized nations. Earned in no small part because once the war was over America did not turn tail and run back home but stayed, to rebuild all that was destroyed, stayed to provide guidance on forming better governments in places where unspeakable atrocities were once the norm, and stayed to become a steady friend and stern ally in good times and in bad.

I can think of no more fitting tribute to those lost on that singularly sorrowful morning 73 years ago today than to point out that their sacrifice, and the sacrifice of their brothers in arms through WWII and sadly many conflicts since have made the world a far better, safer, more peaceful and ultimately more free and just place.

My hope is that those who have and currently serve will accept my thanks on behalf of a nation and a world which may not always seem as grateful as it should; your service and sacrifice are the glue that keeps this world together, and you will never be forgotten.

'Gimp

Well said. It's unfortunate that the world still has not learned from past mistakes.

I enjoyed reading that. Thank you.

And thanks to all those who have, are and will serve.

And another famous event happened this day in 1972.

12-07.jpg

Took this over Pearl Harbor last December. You can see oil leaking from the USS Arizona.

Attachments

• 20131205_115501.jpg
    20131205_115501.jpg
    887 KB · Views: 22
Took this over Pearl Harbor last December. You can see oil leaking from the USS Arizona.

Amazing that after 73 years, there is still oil coming out... Nice pix!

Back