(Dec 10 2020) Passenger Walk Into Running Propeller

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
This happened where I am based. Normally things are pretty uneventful at our little airport. When I was out to get some tools from the hangar Saturday I saw this plane tied down on the ramp but didn't give much thought. Another local pilot sent this link later Saturday:

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2020/12/cessna-172s-skyhawk-sp-n1956v-accident.html

...this plane really flys around a lot with a lot of departures and arrivals out of Brookings SD which appears to have a flight school. The flightware image of N1965V shows the SD state University logo. So its possible (unless it recently sold) this was a flight school plane and perhaps flight training related.

I haven't hard anything yet about the condition of the passenger. Thankfully the report does not indicate a fatality.

Not at our airport that I am aware of - no cameras at the tiny FBO building and the DSL is so slow it would probably never be worth it. I don't think anyone on the front hangar row has internet or even hunting cameras outside.

I have heard from two sources that it was female that was injured. Hit in the shoulder and very serious. Someone drove them into town and was then supposedly airlifted - which in our area usually means HCMC (Hennipen County Medical Center) in Minneapolis. Another picture of the plane shows more SDSU badging so quite likely a flight school plane.

Looks like it happened a couple of hours after sunset, in the dark.

That’s why I shut down every time regardless of who the passenger is or what their intentions are.

...shut the engine down. Accident chain broken.

That’s why I shut down every time regardless of who the passenger is or what their intentions are.

From the report the OP linked:

"...Aircraft arrived, shutdown and the passenger went to their car..."

Again, the link above said they arrived, shut down, passenger went to the car. Pilot started back up. After that, none of us have any idea who knew what anyone’s intentions were. Could the pax have gotten to their car and realized they didn’t have their cell phone and returned to the plane unbeknownst to the pilot?

Last edited:
Well then, an item to add to our passenger briefings!

Another thought, even as rare as these seem to be: Why use "glow in the dark" paint, just a stripe on the front-edge of each propeller tip? For at least some number of hours after sunset the prop disc would be very visible to an unwitting muggle walking toward your airplane.

Looks like the pilot may have had no idea the passenger would be coming back to the airplane.

how do we even know the pilot was aware that the passenger was returning to the airplane?

Seems that is a pretty normal when there is a prop strike against a human. Passenger does something unexpected like suddenly running forward to take a picture.

I have done hot get-offs with Mrs. Steingar. Allows me to quickly drop her off at the terminal on a hot day. She is briefed every time that she is to exit the area of the aircraft to the rear and not return to the aircraft under any circumstance whatsoever. I don't care if it's on fire (I saw a car on fire driving on the road Saturday). She is not to return to the aircraft under any circumstances. I figure if I can make this whole aviation thing a bit more comfortable she might come with me.

I wouldn't do it at night under any circumstances.

The only time I've been approached while running was in my P210. I had been visiting a friend, and he had forgotten to give me a letter from another friend.

He walked up to the left hand door, and I opened the vent window to grab the letter. I didn't shut down because he's a retired Marine aviator, and knew his way around hot aircraft. If it had been anyone else, I would have pulled the mixture.

Engine is off whenever a passenger is not buckled in on the ground, no exceptions. Sounds like sad circumstances in this case though. I think I'll change my passenger briefings to never approach an airplane while it running, ever.

Went flying last night. The plane is still tied down on the ramp, far from its home. I stopped to fuel up and its about 40 steps away. Surreal to know how hurt someone was by that plane. I looked at the prop and both tips appear to have slight damage. There is some "material" on the top cowl. I hope it is from clothing but the mind fills in the blanks differently. I am definitely NOT taking a picture or sharing that. I agree with @Tantalum - I'd pass on that footage. Its eerie enough just seeing that plane parked there now. I still can't find any info on the condition of the passenger. I don't see anything on the SDSU Aviation Department page or local news places. I hope she doesn't lose her arm since she was hit pretty badly in the shoulder.

Since it was dark when I fueled up I was looking at the exterior lighting. Just one old Outdoor Lamp on the top of the building to light the entire ramp of which it sheds decent light on the first 50ft or so. If the plane had already started up and taxied to the runway end of the ramp there would have no external light at all and a pilot would have little chance to see her. To many scenarios to speculate but the dark surely would complicate matters even more...even if in the brightest area of the ramp.

I was taught that if a running aircraft needs to be approached, approach the left wing, grab the wing tip and shake the plane to get the pilots attention. And never cross in front of a running airplane.

I was taught to turn the strobes on before engine start. No one is to approach any airplane when the strobes are on which means if it ain't running, it's about to be.

I used to fly a pusher and the prop area wasn't easy to monitor. With the blades on the nose seeing what goes on isn't as difficult. When in doubt, shut it down!

Back