Debating on an Icon A5

Jamie Kirk

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JamieK
Any PIREPS? I would use it at our lake house which is a vacation home. Currently fly a Saratoga TCII and would keep it, this would basically be a toy to use at the lake.

If I was in the market for a LSA amphibian I'd be looking at the Searey. I don't think Searey offers folding wings like the Icon but you could probably build a hangar for the price difference.

I have zero experience, but my impression is that it's like a jet-ski. Fun for 20 minutes, then boring and doesn't get used. I'd suggest think through what you imagine doing with it and imagine if it would be fun after doing it regularly after a month or so. As others have pointed out, there are a lot of other options with floats that might have more utility.

Does Icon still have the ridiculous purchase contract terms?

[Edit] Turns out they ditched most of it:

Last edited:
If I was in the market for a LSA amphibian I'd be looking at the Searey. I don't think Searey offers folding wings like the Icon but you could probably build a hangar for the price difference.

Finally purchased a hanger at airport at lake house, they never come up for sale.

b37491b4ba378528d0f64ecd2a333b4a.jpg

I have zero experience, but my impression is that it's like a jet-ski. Fun for 20 minutes, then boring and doesn't get used. I'd suggest think through what you imagine doing with it and imagine if it would be fun after doing it regularly after a month or so. As others have pointed out, there are a lot of other options with floats that might have more utility.

Purchased a seabreacher, epitome of fun for 20 minutes. But then we put it away till next time or the next day.

I don’t see us using the Icon every day while out there but the waterway is open to all seaplanes

For less than the cost of an Icon, I’d prefer a 185 on amphibs.

For the ridiculous retail price of an Icon, you can do infinitely better. Scrolling through controller, trade a plane, etc- they’re around 250k used and comfortably into the 3’s.

For that, you can get a 172, 180, 185 on floats all day- with zero issues.

Go through the sales process and see what you think. Visit Vacaville. Think about how viable the company’s future is. Then drop your money if you feel comfortable with it ….

Back