Death grip on the yoke

From my experiences, I am a student, about to do my long cross country flight. I am just now getting to where I am only using light fingers on the yoke. I still get a little tight on take-off and in the pattern, especially if it's bumpy.

It's a focused effort though, especially at first, to say "OK, let go of the yoke; now use just the finger tips and see how I need to move the plane to keep it level... now trim to counter that; let go; and repeat...."

I wouldn't expect anything magical, but rather it's something you've done step one with which is knowing it's something to work on it, so now work on it. Good luck and have fun!

Drinking and shooting semi-automatic weapons go together really well.

Yes, of course I know I need to relax. That is what it means to stop gripping the yoke. You relax your grip. What kind of useless "advice" is that?

Me: I'm gripping the yoke too hard. What can I do to stop doing this?
You: Stop gripping the yoke so hard.

So, no, I know you think you're pretty awesome and an amazing pilot with many thousands of hours of experience, but your advice is simply a turd. Then add some sarcasm and belittlement for good measure.

So you fly a 777 then? Then I don't need your advice ever since you don't actually fly do you? You just sit and push buttons and maybe if you lucky get to land the plane occasionally but even that gets done by the computer. You really just get to drink coffee, fart, and maybe taxi the plane right?

This response, and others, from you reinforces my answer. Relax, you seem very easily wound up. Flying is supposed to be fun. If you want to spend a lot of money on something that seems to do nothing other than **** someone off, take up golf. Flying is relaxing.

As far as the 777 (and your laughable attempt at insulting me about it), yeah I fly it. Great flying airplane, a real pussycat. You know what else I've flown? Single and multi engine piston aircraft. I've even done it as a student. I've also done it as a flight instructor. The pencil trick didn't work, as you've said. Short of electrifying or velcroing thumbtacks to the yoke, the best answer is really, just relax (and check the trim again). It will come.

Unwind a little. Again, this is supposed to be fun.

Have people really forgotten how to have civil conversations?

Apparently.

My response wasn't disguised as advice at all. It was obviously a joke. Name one thing that involves operating machinery of any kind where the advice is to have a few drinks before doing it.

Actually, drinking 1 or 2 will help OP and OP's muscles relax for a flight. However, I would suggest a nightcap the day BEFORE a flight, not immediately prior!

Actually, drinking 1 or 2 will help OP and OP's muscles relax for a flight. However, I would suggest a nightcap the day BEFORE a flight, not immediately prior!

A day before and immediately after. That should do it!

I think he's meaning relax your attitude, and the grip will follow.

This.

It is becoming clear that the OP's problem isn't an airplane that is out of trim. In this case, the grip is just a manifestation of the overall personality. Relax that and the grip will follow.

I think you may have just given up your last hope for help beyond what you already have.

Lose the attitude. It will help your training dramatically, and probably other stuff, too. You have a problem that needs solving. Insults won't solve them.

It will go away... 'did for me. My stick hand would actually be numb from the death grip for many flights my first year. As I became more comfortable with flying, it gradually relaxed 'til a very slight pressure between the thumb and finger are all that's needed. Relax, Grasshopper, relax.

Hi everyone,

I'm doing my training at a part 141 school and it is generally going well but I just cannot get past holding onto the yoke as hard as I can white knuckled. What can I do to prevent this? My first stage check at about 6 hours or so the check airman tried to get me to hold a pencil in the way but that didn't help. Does this go away eventually? Any and all suggestions appreciated. I am scared of heights and am slightly claustrophobic too but after the first flight it didn't bother me any more.

"I'm going to give you a little advice. There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball. " -Ty Webb

"I'm going to give you a little advice. There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball. " -Ty Webb

The amazing thing is, flying DOES work that way. I didn't believe it as a student. At one point, it clicked, and felt very different.

What the hell is this nonsense?

Yeah, that will work. I will "be the ball".

:confused:

He's obviously very immature. Easily ascertained by his smart ass replys. Forget trying to help him.

He's obviously very immature. Easily ascertained by his smart ass replys. Forget trying to help him.

I don't believe the OP was the first to submit "smart ass" replies. (I also agree with his assessment of some of the replies, unfortunately.)

My own definition of maturity includes the ability to recognize a problem with one's self and trying to do something about it. It takes even greater maturity and courage to compose a post that exposes that problem on a public forum and ask for advice. On that basis I believe the OP's initial posts showed the existence of maturity and humility.

My own definition of immaturity includes quick frustration when one's advice isn't taken, refusal to clarify obscure mantras or sayings, and blaming others for any lack of understanding. On that basis I believe some of the replies are less than mature and exhibit too much hubris.

I would hope that people who have little or no patience would not attempt to respond to posts in the "Pilot Training" forum regardless of their own self-assessed expertise because I think their own personality flaws tend to create answering posts that may ultimately drive potential students away from asking questions. Of course, I would also hope for world peace, but....

My own definition of maturity includes the ability to recognize a problem with one's self and trying to do something about it. It takes even greater maturity and courage to compose a post that exposes that problem on a public forum and ask for advice. On that basis I believe the OP's initial posts showed the existence of maturity and humility.

The OP wasn't getting blasted for his original post there Jim.

I understand that. But I also didn't think much of your reply in post 85. You're better than that.

Post 85 was right on point. As the thread progressed, it was becoming clear to many that the OP needed a slice of humble pie. He spit it out in post 86 further confirming the problem.

Post 85 was right on point. As the thread progressed, it was becoming clear to many that the OP needed a slice of humble pie. He spit it out in post 86 further confirming the problem.

I wasn't even the target of your post and I would have responded in the same was as the OP - except I had no intention of getting involved at that time.

So now that the OP has been served multiple slices of humble pie he knows what needs to be done and we can all move on, since the board psychologist has concluded dass sie problem ist due to a personality disorder und der yoke grip ist ein manifestation of a pronounced phallic inferiority complex.

Perhaps we can discuss our findings in person at the next meeting of the International Order of Online Psychoanalysts in Heidelberg. I'll be the one wearing a pretentious attitude, which wont make me stand out.

Update: Well I finally soloed :D yesterday. Thanks for all your help. The advice to try a few circuits hands off the yoke and flying only with trim did it.

As for others such as Fearless Tower, MAKG, etc (you know who you are) who felt the need to take cheap shots and make some humor at my expense... hope you're proud of yourselves. :rolleyes:

Hockey - Congrats on the solo, now go fly some more.

I got what you were saying about learning to drive. Contact me via PM if you want to discuss further.

Congrats on the solo, but you've missed the point if you think I've taken cheap shots at you. I've ribbed a couple of experienced pilots in this thread, but not you.

I think you have an attitude problem and suspect you're a high school kid. No cheap shot there; I'm entirely serious. Lots of people have learned to fly with attitude problems. They just have additional obstacles to overcome.

As for others such as Fearless Tower, MAKG, etc (you know who you are) who felt the need to take cheap shots and make some humor at my expense... hope you're proud of yourselves. :rolleyes:

There was Zero humor in what I said.

Congrats on finally soloing. Good luck on the road ahead.

Back