Dealing with the marshalers

I am always super nice to my line guys. That is because I'm far from home, trusting them with my rental plane, and in a great mood cuz I am flying that day. Then again, I know my UPS and FedEx guy by first name and can tell you their hobbies. I suppose I'm a people person.

I am always super nice to my line guys. That is because I'm far from home, trusting them with my rental plane, and in a great mood cuz I am flying that day. Then again, I know my UPS and FedEx guy by first name and can tell you their hobbies. I suppose I'm a people person.

Me too, honestly, I can't remember rude service and I have received outstanding service on quite a few occasions and have given away several hundred hours of multi time to line guys and time building CFIs. I worked the ramp at Harrison Arkansas one day a week in exchange for hangar space one summer I was teaching sailing Tablerock Lake. I know it, I try to give back.

I've never really had an issue with marshalers on the taxi out. It usually takes me about 10 minutes to go from engine start to taxi and I just let them wait. It's part of the deal.

My only recurring issue with marshalers is the taxi in. Many many times they spin in place watching me approach. I just wish they would stand still, facing one direction with arms outstretched indicating the alignment they want. Many times I line up on what I think is what they want only to have them turn 45 or more degrees and the last minute making me have to re-line up. Small issue but that's all I have to complain about line guys. Mostly they're great. ...There was that one guy in the Bahamas that accidentally broke off a static wick and rather than admit it he kicked it across the ramp. : (

So what's the usual protocol in this situation? Let the dude (or dudette) stand there forever twiddling his/her thumbs until I am all set up and ready to go? Or immediately call for taxi clearance, taxi out of the parking area so the marshaler can go away, then stop and set up everything prior to or at the time of runup? Something else?

Depending on how busy the FBO ramp is or how crowded, they want you to taxi as soon as you can after engine start, unless you are in an area that has no room before you enter the movement area and you need a taxi clearance.

Sitting an running on the ramp is not the safest for other pilots or passengers getting to their airplanes.

Flash your landing light when you are ready to taxi.

This thread reminds me of the line guys gone wild site:

LGGW128493.jpg

LGGW1293.png

LGGW10293.png

Most pro pilots do the prelimary stuff and have the airplane ready to go (checklists complete down to engine start, GPS programmed, etc.) when the passengers are boarded. As a result, the line guys stand there for a much shorter time than for the PPL's who start from scratch. PPL's could save themselves a lot of time (and sweat) by emulating the pros.

So I'd sweat less if I walked outside, did all that stuff, walked back inside, sat around waiting for passengers, and then walked back out and launched? ROFL.

Pretty sure pros sweat plenty if they do that. The bourgeoise pax may not see it, and they darn well won't be paying for it. Out of sight out of mind.

If you're talking about pre-flighting at shut-down on a quick-turn, I've done that. But for most flights, sorry... No. Other people fly my aircraft in-between. Days pass. I didn't put it in the hangar, etc.

I'm not starting a new group co-owner policy that someone else does my pre-flight for me days before I go flying. Haha.

Program the GPS? They don't even know where I'm going or which of us is flying next.

I don't think it's a "PPL" thing at all, but nice bias.

It's a "I don't have fly in, pick up pax on a quick-turn, and leave mission."

Any one of us can emulate that behavior if we needed to. I've done it on the rare occasion I'm stopping somewhere to pick up a passenger.

Try not to make it sound like Private Pilots are somehow idiots or missing some amazing pro-pilot-only knowledge when our mission doesn't match theirs. :nono:

So I'd sweat less if I walked outside, did all that stuff, walked back inside, sat around waiting for passengers, and then walked back out and launched? ROFL.

Pretty sure pros sweat plenty if they do that. The bourgeoise pax may not see it, and they darn well won't be paying for it. Out of sight out of mind.
That's the difference in pro pilot thinking, he was talking about saving the ramp rat sweat and cold. That's why I indicate time to completion and flash lights, to give them relief when I can. If nothing else he can sneak off for a smoke.

Last edited:
Million Air was founded Richard Rogers (Mary Kay CEO) and others ~30 years ago. They came up with the name during a brain-storming session.

Haha. I also missed this part.

Was the brainstorm during drought season? Not much brainpower to come up with that one!

"Hey guys. I know what we can call it! I think we could call it.... Wait for it... Million... Air... Like Millionaire... Get it? Million. Air. ? Oh this is ginna be good! I also have this idea for a new game. It is called "Jump... To... Conclusions! Get it?!"

Yup. Pure Office Space material there. Sorry. It's just funny.

Ok. Gotta go file my TPS Reports now. ;)

That's the the difference in pro pilot thinking, he was talking about saving the ramp rat sweat and cold. That's why I indicate time to completion and flash lights, to give them relief when I can. If nothing else he can sneak off for a smoke.

The rat is going to follow me to the airplane on both trips. I'm going to have to explain I'm pre-flighting the first time. He will then hoof it back to his side door.

So this one doesn't hold water either.

If you can just tell the desk that you'll be a few minutes and that the ramp guys can stay inside in the AC, like a normal human being, that seems to work fine. You'll see 'em pick up a wallow-talkie as you walk out to tell the guys to hang out for a bit.

Next false bias pro vs private comment, please... This crap isn't rocket science.

Keep in mind that some FBOs want to marshal you even if you are a small airplane, especially if their ramp is congested and busy. I don't know if that was the case with the OP.

Mari, there was a plane on either side, and a 747 parked maybe 100 yards ahead, but not what I'd call crowded.

That's why I indicate time to completion and flash lights, to give them relief when I can. If nothing else he can sneak off for a smoke.

Well, that's not too healthy for him, so I guess I'm doing him a favor by making him stand there, smoke-free.

One thing to enjoy about Marshallers is that they take some the liability off of you, if you damage another plane while you are taxiing.

It happened years ago when my dad was taxiing at Albuquerque. As a marshaller guided my dad's 182 into a parking space, his wing clipped the tail of another GA plane, and damaged it slightly. The owner of the damaged plane was really upset - he hired a lawyer to send a big bill not just for damages, but also loss of use, etc. However, that lawyer was never heard from again after he was told that my dad was just following instructions from the marshaller.

So smile at the marshaller. He's your get-out-of-jail free card.

The rat is going to follow me to the airplane on both trips. I'm going to have to explain I'm pre-flighting the first time. He will then hoof it back to his side door.

So this one doesn't hold water either.

If you can just tell the desk that you'll be a few minutes and that the ramp guys can stay inside in the AC, like a normal human being, that seems to work fine. You'll see 'em pick up a wallow-talkie as you walk out to tell the guys to hang out for a bit.

Next false bias pro vs private comment, please... This crap isn't rocket science.

Not making the kid stand out there the whole time I'm programming and and doing whatever else is just basic decency, he can choose to stay, but typically I dismiss them and flash the lights when I'm ready for a pick up. Sometimes it's butt-nuts weather...

Not making the kid stand out there the whole time I'm programming and and doing whatever else is just basic decency, he can choose to stay, but typically I dismiss them and flash the lights when I'm ready for a pick up. Sometimes it's butt-nuts weather...

Butt nuts weather? Glad I live in California then. I can't even imagine what you mean since I don't have one of those two items but I'm sure it refers to shrinkage.

Mari, there was a plane on either side, and a 747 parked maybe 100 yards ahead, but not what I'd call crowded.
As someone else said, it might be their policy for the ramp techs. When you said MillionAir I immediately got this vision of the MillionAir ramp at Addison which is definitely congested and busy, with only one entrance.

Typical amateur attitude.

If you're talking about pre-flighting at shut-down on a quick-turn, I've done that. But for most flights, sorry... No. Other people fly my aircraft in-between. Days pass. I didn't put it in the hangar, etc.

I'm not starting a new group co-owner policy that someone else does my pre-flight for me days before I go flying. Haha.

Program the GPS? They don't even know where I'm going or which of us is flying next.

I don't think it's a "PPL" thing at all, but nice bias.

It's a "I don't have fly in, pick up pax on a quick-turn, and leave mission."

Any one of us can emulate that behavior if we needed to. I've done it on the rare occasion I'm stopping somewhere to pick up a passenger.

Try not to make it sound like Private Pilots are somehow idiots or missing some amazing pro-pilot-only knowledge when our mission doesn't match theirs. :nono:

Typical amateur attitude.

No kidding, and people are surprised when I say I don't get charged fees and negotiate fuel prices like they've never experienced it, now I understand. It has nothing to do with being on a private or paid flight, professional is in how you think and act and people respond accordingly.

Last edited:
I used to love the MillionAir at PSP. After skiing at Big Bear we'd drop in and defrost in the hot tub. They were always geat and friendly even if I was just flying a Travel Air.

Care to actually have a discussion or just act like a child?

No discussion required, what are you not clear on? It's a difference in a pros attitude and actions. They consider the ramp rat's comfort because there was a day they stood at the other side of the windshield. Most amateur GA pilots have not held the job and they display an attitude of uncaring and inconsideration as your writing demonstrated. The difference between a pro in an FBO and an amateur is not in the uniform.

No discussion required, what are you not clear on? It's a difference in a pros attitude and actions. They consider the ramp rat's comfort because there was a day they stood at the other side of the windshield. Most amateur GA pilots have not held the job and they display an attitude of uncaring and inconsideration as your writing demonstrated. The difference between a pro in an FBO and an amateur is not in the uniform.

Where in any of my post did you see me not worried about the rampie's comfort? You're not reading. I distinctly said I'd let the desk know. And that the rampie could stay inside in the Air Conditioning. Did you miss that?

I also chat with the rampies. You guys are making it sound like only "pros" know how to talk to people. ROFL.

I never condoned sitting there with the engine running and some guy sweating his balls off waiting. Not once in this thread. Read my replies again.

The second post was ONLY in response to Wayne's retarded comment that Private light aircraft pilots could "emulate the pros" who fly a jet that is sitting ten feet away and they're doing a quick turn vs. the typical PP who's renting and should just follow their damn checklist and prep the same way they always prep... while COMMUNICATING they're going to be a minute before they close the door and crank. (By the way. That's the easiest way to signal you're not going anywhere yet. Just leave the door open. It's hot anyway. Rampies will magically appear when the door closes and the prop turns.)

I was a rampie! (Of course my usual way to find out if we'd have a delay was to ask via the interphone, but it's no different.) We sometimes got ignored. Big deal.

I've stood in the snow and glycol waiting for a Captain to get his crap together many times. It was just part of the job. Maybe he was waiting on Clearance Delivery, or Dispatch. Hell if I knew. I think the record was 30 minutes with no reply from the interphone and no response to hand signals. I was getting paid the same standing next to the tug or sitting in the warm room under the people cookers. Didn't matter to me. I was dressed appropriately for the bad WX.

But I never said in my reply to Wayne that I'd make any rampie stand there -- or not communicate to the FBO that I'd be a while if I were. I was just pointing out his sillyness in saying that PPs could have the aircraft pre-flighted every time.

Our pax in light aircraft are us -- most of the time. We're not standing in the FBO lobby with polyester pants and a clip on tie expecting to schlep some Aspberger's patient's luggage from their BMW to the plane. There's zero need for me to walk out, pre-flight, and walk back in prior to departure. I let the FBO know I need the aircraft pulled out on the way to the airport via cell phone and I walk out and leave.

Wayne trying to make that into a "pro" vs "non-pro" story is retarded.

Let's use real world scenarios.

If I'm leaving home base I'm pulling it from the hangar myself. I can take whatever time I want. I'm not on an FBO ramp. I'm buried in a hangar row somewhere. About all I can screw up is blocking the row.

If I'm at an out-station at an FBO the only part of the preflight I can complete prior to departure is the radios and they're already set from the inbound most of the time. The frequencies are already in the flip-flops. If I were Instrument rated I could whip out the handheld for Clearance Delivery but haven't seen any "pros" doing that. So what's left?

What exactly would Wayne like us "amateurs" to do? Pre-set the fuel selector to Both? Haha.

I'll run right out and do that, go back in and pee, and then I'll be gone 15 seconds sooner after the potty break. No rampies will be harmed in the making of this film.

I don't dawdle on the FBO ramp. If there are people who do, that's their problem. I talk to the FBO staff -- especially in hot weather -- and they know my plan. The stereotype is silly.

I don't deserve any "non-pro" stereotype BS or any crap from "pros" over any of that.

Save it for the idiots who take 10 minutes to get moving. And I've seen both "pros" and "amateurs" who do that. Sometimes they're just waiting on a Clearance.

The time I would make him wait would be directly proportional to the landing/facility fee I just paid the FBO.
Don't shoot the messanger. It's not the line guy's job to decide how much of a ramp fee to charge.

Someone also needs to tell some Cirrus/Diamond pilots that just because the anti collision lights are on the after start checklist does not mean they have to turn them on right away. It's generally common decency to care about the night vision of other pilots/line crew.

Haha. I also missed this part.

Was the brainstorm during drought season? Not much brainpower to come up with that one!

"Hey guys. I know what we can call it! I think we could call it.... Wait for it... Million... Air... Like Millionaire... Get it? Million. Air. ? Oh this is ginna be good! I also have this idea for a new game. It is called "Jump... To... Conclusions! Get it?!"

Yup. Pure Office Space material there. Sorry. It's just funny.

Ok. Gotta go file my TPS Reports now. ;)
:rofl::rofl:

Someone also needs to tell some Cirrus/Diamond pilots that just because the anti collision lights are on the after start checklist does not mean they have to turn them on right away. It's generally common decency to care about the night vision of other pilots/line crew.

Do they have a beacon in addition to strobes ?

Exactly, so you wouldn't be qualified to make that demand, plus it means your a rude punk. If you're a line boy, check your boss on this. If I was your boss, and I've been in customer service industry since 1976, I would tell you the only words to use to fulfill this mission would be two posed as a polite question, " Mags cold?" "Show me your keys!" says the same thing to me as "Hey, I don't trust your word or your skills you lying prick idiot", it's downright rude.

You could even use a bit of communication ingenuity, look me in the eye, hold up four fingers palm towards me and sweep them down rotating your wrist, sweeping then dropping your arm. I will recognize this as the motion I use to shut down my switches and I'm gonna look down and give you a thumbs up. Now I'm gonna think you're a sharp kid. If you are friendly when I get out of the plane, you can likely log 5.6 hrs of multi or whatever on my next leg if you can find your way home. I even took one kid for 3 days since I was coming back through, all he had to pay was his room and board.

It pays to be polite and on the ball.

Trust.... But verify.

Trust.... But verify.

Right, you can be polite about it or rude, choose rude and you will get an exponentially more rude response in return. Do it politely and you get an exponentially more polite of a response. People are simpler to train than dogs.

Right, you can be polite about it or rude, choose rude and you will get an exponentially more rude response in return. Do it politely and you get an exponentially more polite of a response. People are simpler to train than dogs.

Whoa. You've cracked the secret to Internet message boards!

If we all get exponentially more rude, everyone will stop being rude!

Begin! :)

Rudeness (also called impudence or effrontery) is a display of disrespect by not complying with the social "laws" or etiquette of a group or culture. These laws have been established as the essential boundaries of normally accepted behavior. To be unable or unwilling to align one's behavior with these laws known to the general population of what is socially acceptable is to be rude.

Whoa. You've cracked the secret to Internet message boards!

If we all get exponentially more rude, everyone will stop being rude!

Begin! :)

Harrumph, IT hands and higher math functions! Listen-up now, there will be a quiz!

If we want rudeness to go to zero then we have to move into negative rudeness. If we increase the rudeness then things will just get ruder.

Harrumph, IT hands and higher math functions! Listen-up now, there will be a quiz!

If we want rudeness to go to zero then we have to move into negative rudeness. If we increase the rudeness then things will just get ruder.

In that case let me call your Mom to thank her for bringing you into this world.

There. Negative rudeness.

I'm glad someone understands the reason for learning Algebra...:rolleyes:

Back