Deadstick landing

only if you're pulling 2 G's. i used to get myself confused about this too, i started thinking that it was the bank angle that turned the plane and forgot that it is the horizontal component of lift.

But in the turn back case were applying bank at the same time the airplane is descending since we're trading altitude for airspeed.

thats just fine but until you have some load on the wings your heading is not going to change.

But in the turn back case were applying bank at the same time the airplane is descending since we're trading altitude for airspeed.
But the rate of descent quickly becomes constant or close enough to it that you're sitting at 1G. You need to PULL to send the lift horizontal so you're going to need to do 2Gs to get it around at the rate you're saying even though you're descending.

But the rate of descent quickly becomes constant or close enough to it that you're sitting at 1G. You need to PULL to send the lift horizontal so you're going to need to do 2Gs to get it around at the rate you're saying even though you're descending.

Umm.. no. You need to pull 2Gs (in about 60 degree bank) to maintain level flight. The lift always work through the top of the airplane. Your compensating for the loss in the vertical direction with increased elevator. The horizontal gain was already there. The lift never changed just where you point it. If you don't hold level flight you can put it into a spiral wthout the g-load. Of course now you are descending and picking up speed... I was just doing tis yesterday. If you don't pull back you won't feel a thing, but your airspeed will keep climbing.

<---<^>--->

Oh wait we are saying kind of saying the same thing.. If you let it accelerate then yes load factor (call it G) stays at 1. If you pull back to maintain an airspeed you will increase G. I don't think you have to in a 180 degree turn though... In a 60 degree bankedturn in level flight you will be pulling about 2Gs

<---<^>--->

no, in a 60 deg banked turn in stable flight (no acceleration) you are pulling 2Gs. You can be climbing descending whatever as long as your speed is constant.

I guess I just didn't like the way you said you need to PULL to send the lift horizontal. The pulling back increases AOA which increase lift overall which acts through the top of the airplane. If you break it down into vectors that will increase lift in both vertical and horizontal directions proportional to the angle of bank. You can turn without pulling back, you just won't turn as aggressively and you will accelerate as you are in a dive. But with the power out a 180 degree turn at 60 degrees I think can be done without pulling back. Maybe you already know this, but others reading may not.

<---<^>--->

Umm.. no. You need to pull 2Gs (in about 60 degree bank) to maintain level flight. The lift always work through the top of the airplane. Your compensating for the loss in the vertical direction with increased elevator. The horizontal gain was already there. The lift never changed just where you point it. If you don't hold level flight you can put it into a spiral wthout the g-load. Of course now you are descending and picking up speed... I was just doing tis yesterday. If you don't pull back you won't feel a thing, but your airspeed will keep climbing.

<---<^>--->

You need to pull 2Gs in a 60 degree bank to maintain a constant vertical speed, not just level flight.

I suggest you all do a turnback and carefully watch the DG, it won't start turning, until you start pulling.

Along the lines of a dead stick landing, I read a trick, I think on this forum.

I went up to altitude and killed power, that is brought it to idle as low as possible. I then trimmed for my best glide speed. This was with an average fuel load.

I then went back and landed and pulled off the runway. I used some red metallic pin stripe tape that I had at the ready and MARKED the position of the trim wheel indicator.

Hopefully, if the time ever comes, I will be able to quickly move the trim to this setting and it will be very close and allow me to get that done right away so I can focus attention on other things at hand.

When I read it, I thought it was a good trick. Hopefully I never have to see how different it is with a dead engine.

Doc

no, in a 60 deg banked turn in stable flight (no acceleration) you are pulling 2Gs. You can be climbing descending whatever as long as your speed is constant.

I might believe that... have to ponder that but still with the power-off 180 we have room to accelerate. And the lift IS their you will turn.

<---<^>--->

<---<^>--->

By this logic, I can get to stall speed, initiate a spin, stop rotation, bank to 60 degrees (while still stalled???) and pull 1.5g and continue the downward spiral. :dunno:

Where does the stall break? Does it break from the reduction in .5G?

You need to pull 2Gs in a 60 degree bank to maintain a constant vertical speed, not just level flight.

I suggest you all do a turnback and carefully watch the DG, it won't start turning, until you start pulling.

OK yes 2Gs at a constant airspeed. I get it now because with power you can maintain level flight without you will not. But you CAN and WILL still turn with a 60 degree bank whether you pull back or not. Maybe not as much... How much less I may try to figure out in a few hours..

<---<^>--->

OK yes 2Gs at a constant airspeed. I get it now because with power you can maintain level flight without you will not. But you CAN and WILL still turn with a 60 degree bank whether you pull back or not. Maybe not as much... How much less I may try to figure out in a few hours..

<---<^>--->
Well sure you're still sending lift horizontal. But your nose is going to fall. You're going to rapidly build airspeed. And you're not going to turn at much of a rate.

If you want to turn around quickly at 60 degree bank with an engine failure at low altitude you're going to need to load the wings up a bit by pulling. Otherwise you're just going to lose a bunch of altitude while barely turning. You'll hit the ground before you turn around.

Go back and look at the thread some. I was responding to Dan saying some crazy rate of turn he gets at 60 degrees without pulling 2Gs. That's not the case. To get that RATE of turn - you need to pull.

By this logic, I can get to stall speed, initiate a spin, stop rotation, bank to 60 degrees (while still stalled???) and pull 1.5g and continue the downward spiral. :dunno:

Where does the stall break? Does it break from the reduction in .5G?

If you are stalled you are not generating lift. That changes things. If your still stalled it might be hard to pull 1.5 gs.. Maybe by kicking the rudder around? Not sure where you are coming from.

<---<^>--->

Well sure you're still sending lift horizontal. But your nose is going to fall. You're going to rapidly build airspeed. And you're not going to turn at much of a rate.

If you want to turn around quickly at 60 degree bank with an engine failure at low altitude you're going to need to load the wings up a bit by pulling. Otherwise you're just going to lose a bunch of altitude while barely turning. You'll hit the ground before you turn around.

Go back and look at the thread some. I was responding to Dan saying some crazy rate of turn he gets at 60 degrees without pulling 2Gs. That's not the case. To get that RATE of turn - you need to pull.

That I can agree with. I do want to test the rate of turn difference tonight though. I have a commercial student tonight maybe I will time some spirals.. :)

<---<^>--->

Along the lines of a dead stick landing, I read a trick, I think on this forum.

I went up to altitude and killed power, that is brought it to idle as low as possible. I then trimmed for my best glide speed. This was with an average fuel load.

I then went back and landed and pulled off the runway. I used some red metallic pin stripe tape that I had at the ready and MARKED the position of the trim wheel indicator.

Hopefully, if the time ever comes, I will be able to quickly move the trim to this setting and it will be very close and allow me to get that done right away so I can focus attention on other things at hand.

When I read it, I thought it was a good trick. Hopefully I never have to see how different it is with a dead engine.

Doc

On that theme...

W/ most properly rigged single engine Cessna stiff gears, just roll the trim nose up all the way to the stop...and it'll settle in really close to best glide. This has worked on both of my planes. Try it out on a plane you own. I'm not sure I'd trust this technique on a rental.

Last edited:
W/ most properly rigged single engine Cessna stiff gears, just roll the trim nose up all the way to the stop...and it'll settle in really close to best glide. This has worked on both of my planes. Try it out on a plane you own. I'm not sure I'd trust this technique on a rental.

I did a power-off approach in a rental 172N the other day, when I ran out of trim I was still at best glide + 10 knots. Guess it wasn't properly rigged. This probably also explains why it didn't seem like I had enough aft trim on takeoff.

I did a power-off approach in a rental 172N the other day, when I ran out of trim I was still at best glide + 10 knots. Guess it wasn't properly rigged. This probably also explains why it didn't seem like I had enough aft trim on takeoff.

Was the airplane fully loaded with passengers, fuel, and luggage?

If not, full aft rim rarely reaches best glide.

OK so had a little experiment just to play devils advocate... We pulled the power on a PA28R-200, put it into a sixty degree bank and did not pull back on the yoke (until about 10kts below Va). The rate of turn actually wasn't too bad, it was hard to even tell the difference. As for the G force, well we were :yikes: accelerating downwards so that kinda threw me off. I FELT (and who knows how accurate that is) like I had one G going through the bottom of the seat from the rotation and one G going through the back of the seat from the acceleration... which would add up to 2Gs but we need physicist now I think. What I lost though was more than 500feet of altitude so probably better to hold closer to best glide speed it seemed very inefficient. I suppose you would get some altitude back by pulling up to bring the speed down but not all of it. So yes you can pull 180+ degree turn without going from best glide to over Va but for the cost in altitude your probably better off holding a speed you know is safely above stall speed in a sixty degree bank.

We pulled back at just below Va, but we did make it more than 180 degrees.. lost 500ft though so not a good practice for an engine-out on takeoff. You can turn at 60 degrees with less than a 2G load factor but you trade a good amount of altitude and gain a good amount of airspeed fairly quickly. Plus I don't know what you call the acceleration that you feel. I guess it isn't load factor because it isn't "working through the bottom of the airplane." Don't know if it actually still adds up to 2 altogether either. So many questions so little time.

<---<^>--->

We're doing a 180 degree or less turn to keep the airport in sight in the OP scenario.
Then we're probably pulling about 1.5-2 g's on the g-meter (with vectors of 1 g perpendicular to the earth's surface and about 1.5 g's parallel to it) throughout the turning portion of the maneuver at the probable 45-60 degree bank for least altitude loss.

Then we're probably pulling about 1.5-2 g's on the g-meter (with vectors of 1 g perpendicular to the earth's surface and about 1.5 g's parallel to it) throughout the turning portion of the maneuver at the probable 45-60 degree bank for least altitude loss.

Right -- for some of the turn (75%? Trig students?)

I practice a 45-55 degree bank (all eyeball -- no AI in my bird)

Flying at best glide there's a pretty narrow window -- stall speed goes up to 54 MPH at 60 degree bank and Vg is 60 MPH in the Chief.

(I calculated this a while ago in Excel but here's a nifty web form: http://www.csgnetwork.com/aircraftturninfocalc.html I have not verified these calculations).

I FELT (and who knows how accurate that is) like I had one G going through the bottom of the seat from the rotation and one G going through the back of the seat from the acceleration... which would add up to 2Gs but we need a physicist now I think.

At your service. :wink2: Azure is a physicist also I believe.

This is vector addition. If the two acceleration components are perpendicular then you can add them using the pythagorean theorem to get the combined magnitude.

However, in an airplane if you ever feel more than 1 G that is not in the vertical direction, you'd better be in something that is rated for aerobatics or you're not going to be flying much longer.

Getting 1 g through the back of the seat would require afterburners. Our little props just ain't gonna generate that much thrust. If you ever get 1 g laterally you are in seriously uncoordinated flight (like knife edge).

Right -- for some of the turn (75%? Trig students?)
I'd say the entire stabilized portion of the turn (i.e., all but rolling in and rolling out). The only time you'll be under 1g will be when you initially unload to get to the target speed for the maneuver, as you'll probably be well below it before you get your brain unscrambled after the engine quits at 7-10 degrees nose up.

I'd say the entire stabilized portion of the turn (i.e., all but rolling in and rolling out). The only time you'll be under 1g will be when you initially unload to get to the target speed for the maneuver, as you'll probably be well below it before you get your brain unscrambled after the engine quits at 7-10 degrees nose up.

But the turn in this case is not "stabilized" (as in a level, 2g, 60 degree banked turn)

We're turning and pointing down simultaneously. Once Vg is achieved (which requires a significant push from VX/Vy when the engine is out), the turn stabilizes to some degree but not for long -- we'll be rolling back out and pulling after a few seconds.

At your service. :wink2: Azure is a physicist also I believe.

This is vector addition. If the two acceleration components are perpendicular then you can add them using the pythagorean theorem to get the combined magnitude.

However, in an airplane if you ever feel more than 1 G that is not in the vertical direction, you'd better be in something that is rated for aerobatics or you're not going to be flying much longer.

Getting 1 g through the back of the seat would require afterburners. Our little props just ain't gonna generate that much thrust. If you ever get 1 g laterally you are in seriously uncoordinated flight (like knife edge).

Hehe well that's why I said felt, not very scientific. I didn't realize 1G was that high of a rate of acceleration, I can pull .5 in my WRX easily [0-60 in just over 5 seconds]. Maybe it wasn't even that bad though, just when your looking at the ground [granted with plenty of altitude but accelerating] with 60 degrees of bank in there.. Also the rate-of-turn seemed to increase with the airspeed. The DG seemed to spin faster and faster. I guess that makes sense, the rate and radius should increase? Although the airplane was trimmed for a slower airspeed so it may have been 'pulling back' a little for me? We placed the airplane in a bank and let the nose just dip by not compansating with back pressure on the yoke until just below Va.

<---<^>--->

Darn I should have been looking at the turn co-ordnator. I was too concerned with seeing if we would make it 180 degrees before going over Va

<---<^>--->

But the turn in this case is not "stabilized" (as in a level, 2g, 60 degree banked turn)
Yes, it is stabilized in terms of velocity during the turning portion, just like a constant-speed level turn. If it weren't, your airspeed and vertical velocity (VSI) would be running away (which would create a lot of other problems), and if executed per Prof. Rogers' guidelines, they aren't. If you hold constant airspeed and bank angle during the turn (as Prof. Rogers suggests), you really will be in a stabilized condition during the turn. The only time it isn't stabilized is during the initial acceleration to target speed, roll-in/roll-out, and during deceleration to landing speed at the bottom.

Last edited:
Depends on the failure mode. Many of the very common failure modes revolve around oil pressure. Just don't be surprised when the "trick" doesn't work.
Correct, but an engine with out oil pressure isn't likely to windmill very long.

FWIW I did a falling leaf with the mixture at ICO, never got the prop to stop in my plane.

Yes, it is stabilized in terms of velocity during the turning portion, just like a constant-speed level turn. If it weren't, your airspeed and vertical velocity (VSI) would be running away (which would create a lot of other problems), and if executed per Prof. Rogers' guidelines, they aren't. If you hold constant airspeed and bank angle during the turn (as Prof. Rogers suggests), you really will be in a stabilized condition during the turn. The only time it isn't stabilized is during the initial acceleration to target speed, roll-in/roll-out, and during deceleration to landing speed at the bottom.

I guess that's the question -- how many degrees of turn are accomplished during the initial push-roll?

After that there is a stabilized turn (with gravity providing a different vector than engine thrust in a level steep turn).

I guess that's the question -- how many degrees of turn are accomplished during the initial push-roll?
Not many -- no time for keeping the coffee in the cups.

After that there is a stabilized turn (with gravity providing a different vector than engine thrust in a level steep turn).
Huh? Unless you're flying a V-22, engine thrust vector is always pretty much right down the longitudinal axis, while gravity is always pulling straight down towards the earth. Unless you're going through the vertical (which you shouldn't be on this maneuver), the forces of gravity and engine thrust will always be different vectors -- and it won't matter if the steep turn is level or ascending/descending, nor whether a level turn is steep or shallow.

Huh? Unless you're flying a V-22, engine thrust vector is always pretty much right down the longitudinal axis, while gravity is always pulling straight down towards the earth. Unless you're going through the vertical (which you shouldn't be on this maneuver), the forces of gravity and engine thrust will always be different vectors -- and it won't matter if the steep turn is level or ascending/descending, nor whether a level turn is steep or shallow.

We're discussing a power-off steep turn -- there is no engine thrust.

It seems you are overthinking. It's ok, since we all express oursleves differently. Where you replied to Ron that it wasn't stabilized I was thinking yes it is because, other than roll-in/roll out, it is a contstant bank, constant pitch turn.

BTW: I did e-mail the author of the video in the OP. His response (I paraphrase) was, 'Let's not debate it, I demonstrate this to many students and I can consistenly prove my assertion time after time.'

Still, I do want the debate (this thread as example) which would promote learning.

What if have the nose pointed STRAIGHT down? (Just a hypothetical for the sake of discussion)

<---<^>--->

Oh haha "unless your going through the vertical" maybe I should read the post before chiming in.. This is a power-off maneuver though, so gravity basically 'is' your thrust. Except that gravity isn't thrust. [It isn't really a force at all depending who you ask].

<---<^>--->

Back