Dead Stick Landing on GoPro....

Armageddon Aviator

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Alon Smolarski
Quite spectacular...

Following an almost complete loss of power, the instructor takes the controls and lands the aircraft in a field...

http://youtu.be/Lo72OwRahRc

Uh...By the way, I learned to fly and passed my checkride on this aircraft !!! ( 4X-AIW )

Can't imagine flying in Israel, the place is so small and surrounded by so many hostile nations.

I hope everything is good with you and yours during this turbulent time.

Can't imagine flying in Israel, the place is so small and surrounded by so many hostile nations.

I hope everything is good with you and yours during this turbulent time.

That's why I fly a small aircraft :D

We're OK thanks - our shelter is actually quite comfy...

Yes it does...but our neighbours have this weird habit of launching all kinds of nasty stuff on our cities... :D

Yes, be safe. I'm really glad you aren't in the middle of that nastiness.

Did they figure out what was wrong with the aircraft you learned in? How many airports are there in Israel? Do you mostly fly there, or do you do international flights across the Med?

Yes, be safe. I'm really glad you aren't in the middle of that nastiness.

Did they figure out what was wrong with the aircraft you learned in? How many airports are there in Israel? Do you mostly fly there, or do you do international flights across the Med?

Yes, they did figure out what went wrong...fuel exhaustion.

Hard to believe, but it appears that even Jewish aircraft don't fly too well without fuel :D

I mostly fly in Israel ( when the skies are clear of missiles that is...), recently flew with Adam in the U.S. ( love it ) and I plan to start flying to the Greek islands...as soon as I manage to buy a share in a decent flying spam can...

I can't help but think plenty of those fields were long enough to land on without using trees as brakes. Also, why was he pumping the throttle? Didn't look like a single checklist (be it memory or otherwise) was followed after the engine stopped cranking...

Yes, they did figure out what went wrong...fuel exhaustion.

Sounds like the real problem was a CFI who didn't deserve the initials (it looked like an instructor handling things from the right seat). A CFI should let his or her student run out of gas.

Hard to believe, but it appears that even Jewish aircraft don't fly too well without fuel :D

Better watch it. The goyim are going to start chiming in about gliders.:rofl:

I mostly fly in Israel ( when the skies are clear of missiles that is...), recently flew with Adam in the U.S. ( love it ) and I plan to start flying to the Greek islands...as soon as I manage to buy a share in a decent flying spam can...

Wouldn't take much more than an ultralight to cross Israel, but the Greek Islands sound nice if the international rigamarole isn't too bad. A pity you didn't come to Ohio, I'd have given you a flight in the Free Bird to remember (and in a good way).

I have to say that the Israeli countryside looked far more verdant than I would have imagined.

Also, why was he pumping the throttle?

Must have thought he needed to dump some gas into the induction system with the accelerator pump to try to keep the engine going. Pretty hard turn at the end, considering how much time and how many landing options he had. At least he got it down safe.

Must have thought he needed to dump some gas into the induction system with the accelerator pump to try to keep the engine going. Pretty hard turn at the end, considering how much time and how many landing options he had. At least he got it down safe.

Kind of what I thought. Seems like he he might have been able to set up for a better landing if he wasn't busy playing around with the throttle.

Kind of what I thought. Seems like he he might have been able to set up for a better landing if he wasn't busy playing around with the throttle.

Or if he'd just slipped aggressively. Oh well, any landing you can walk away from...

Oy Alon did this guy find the only row of trees in Afula? So many roads and fields.

Also, why was he pumping the throttle?

It's a memory item from the POH emergency procedures. In case of power failure immediately pump the throttle nearly a hundred times.

Alon, a cfi at our airport limped around the pattern with the accelerator pump and made it back to land. I think you missed that by a couple days.

Good to hear it was fuel exhaustion, not a mechanical issue.

When you know what the problem is, ie, no fuel. No need to proceed any further down the restart check list. He knew he wasn't going to make it to the airport so forget about the engine (pumping throttle) and make as normal of a power of landing as possible.

Brian

Oy Alon did this guy find the only row of trees in Afula? So many roads and fields.

I guess this CFI is what you would call a "tree hugger" :D

I don't want to pass judgement on the behaviour of others during an emergency, as they say "any landing you can walk away from is a good landing"...

I think there was way too much talking going on, distracting the pilot and affecting his ability to focus.

The controller was asking totally stupid questions by the way ( i.e. "will you be able to land safely ?"....duh )

Any translation of the dialog available?

I don't think so - but in essence, just a military controller asking silly questions...

( The seasoned military controllers handle military traffic, the rookies are assigned to GA traffic :D )

I for one am not breaking out a checklist when he mill quits at low altitude. Once the engine fails to restart I think I'll focus on the landing, though.

The engine must not have been making full power but still running. (Prop is still turning after the hit the trees and stopped. Right seater pulls the mixture then.)

My primary instructor told me he flew a plane several miles to the nearest suitable landing spot, (i.e. airport) by using the primer repeatedly. Each pump got him a few seconds of power. I didn't have the audio on so I don't know if each pump was getting him any extra power or not.

Everybody is whole, good job.

Ran out of gas, not so good.

John

Back