Dead Headset

azpilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
azpilot
Does anyone know of a shop that can repair headsets preferably in the Phoenix area? I have a SoftComm headset. The mic works, but I can't hear anything. I was able to confirm the problem is with the headset and not the intercom. Does anyone know of any avionics shops or stores that repair headsets? I'd contact SoftComm, but they have gone out of business.

Which airport are you at?

I've fixed quite a few of my own over the years(generally changing cables and mics but also converted my Softcomm set to ANR with the Headsets kit) if you want to meet at FFZ sometime I'll check them out for you.

There is not much to them, make sure to it's not the plane first. Unscrew the plug shell see if a wire has come loose (most likely) if not check for a damaged wire.

Which airport are you at?

I've fixed quite a few of my own over the years(generally changing cables and mics but also converted my Softcomm set to ANR with the Headsets kit) if you want to meet at FFZ sometime I'll check them out for you.
Sent you a PM.

Hi.
I am not sure how you tested them but I found out that most of the problems are with the dirty connectors, either in the plane, or your head set. Try to clean the contacts first.

Serious question: how would you suggest cleaning dirty connectors in the plane? Compressed air, rubbing alcohol, both?

What could a brown oily substance be that coming out of the Mic on the boom of a Soft Comm C-60. It is not working and no idea what it might be. Reception is excellent.

How old? Maybe PCB's?

Solvent on a q-tip for the female. 0000 steel wool on the male.

0000 steel wool will work but I prefer the 0000 synthetic stuff. No possibility of tiny metallic whiskers getting into mischief. If all you have is steel wool wipe down the plug really well.

Some pilots are in the habit of wrapping the cord tightly around the headset when they store it. That places repeated stress on the cable right at the earcup, and the fragile wires at that point will eventually fail. Fixed way too many of those. Don't do that.

Back