Dead Dell 2

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
The Dell laptop came back from the repair depot. The paperwork says only that a "corrective repair action" involving a "system board" was done, without further detail.

I reinstalled the hard drive and booted it up. At the light blue "welcome" screen, it would freeze. Thinking it was a registry problem, I booted it in safe mode and installed StompSoft Registry Repair. It found a bunch of errors, and now it occasionally makes it to the desktop picture w/icons before it freezes, and a couple of times it has appeared to make it through the boot sequence and opened a couple of apps before it froze.

The useless Dell tech says I could fix it with the original Windows disk, but Dell doesn't ship them with the laptops. I have tried system restore without effect.

Any ideas?

Ken Ibold said:
The Dell laptop came back from the repair depot. The paperwork says only that a "corrective repair action" involving a "system board" was done, without further detail.

I reinstalled the hard drive and booted it up. At the light blue "welcome" screen, it would freeze. Thinking it was a registry problem, I booted it in safe mode and installed StompSoft Registry Repair. It found a bunch of errors, and now it occasionally makes it to the desktop picture w/icons before it freezes, and a couple of times it has appeared to make it through the boot sequence and opened a couple of apps before it froze.

The useless Dell tech says I could fix it with the original Windows disk, but Dell doesn't ship them with the laptops. I have tried system restore without effect.

Any ideas?
Upon MIke Andrews' advice, I fired Dell two years ago. Never have looked back. And they wonder why they're in trouble....

At this point I would buy a copy of XP for retail, wipe the drive and start over. Oh, and Fire DELL.

I have a Dell Reinstallation Disk for my dead Inspiron 8200 if a copy would help you any - pm me.

Back