Dead Computer????

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Jsut got home and was doing some work on my desk top that runs Vista. Everything was going fine and got a message that a Windows update was being installed. It said the computer needed to restart and not to touch anything. So I didn't and went on to other things elsewhere.

When I got back to the computer the monitor, keyboard, and mouse were asleep but the power button on the computer tower was still on and I could hear the fan.

But moving the mouse, or hitting the keyboard did not revive the computer. So I hard restarted the computer. Still no monitor, keyboard, or mouse.

I removed power for a while and tried again to no avail.

Any ideas???

Unplug it. Plug it back in. Press the power button. Do the fans start spinning? Does the LED stay lit?

It sounds to me like you have a hardware problem (duh).

Do you get any beeps when you start the computer? Can you hear the hard disks spooling up? Do any LEDs flash on the keyboard? Is the keyboard USB?

Potential causes:
Power supply failure on one of the 12V rails, providing insufficient power to start the motherboard or video card, yet still supplying 5V for some things like the fans and whatever LEDs you see.

If the keyboard is USB, this could be a video card/chipset issue.

Good luck!

Ok more info and signs of life

I put the recovery disk in and it boots from it. Monitor and all the other stuff works. So it is NOT a hardware problem.

I think it is related to the WinDoze VISTA update.

I am gonna play a little longer and if nothing appears to solve it I'll start with a reload of the OS.

If it is Windoze I am gonna be a little PO'ed as my phone, which runs on Windoze mobile crashed on Monday and I just got it working again today once I was able to get on my laptop and reload the config files.

I had an 'update' cause a crash a few years back, lost everything but the computer was fine once I reinstalled.

Reinstalling the OS now. I think it was related to a corrupted update from M$
Do you keep a backup on external drive? I'm starting to get paranoid at times and add a second external drive for backup.

I had a lightening strike take out my cable box a few weeks ago.

Wow, I've never had an update that overwrote the boot loader before. Another reason to love Acronis TrueImage.

Back