Dead Body

retarded stowaways the corpses usually fall out when the gear goes down.

Probable stowaway. Others have tried hitching a ride in the same way with similar results.

Just a thought - if flights were coming in from locations where these things tend originate, wouldn't you want those flights to drop their gear over unpopulated areas?

Ok. I thought that would be why someone would try that spot. Obviously individuals with no knowledge of atmosphere and aerospace.
Bodies falling out of wheel wells is unfortunately a not uncommon phenomenon on flights that originate from Africa.

The people that try it have no idea what us really involved and the word doesn't seem to make it back to the others that it doesn't work.

Brings a whole new meaning to the term "meat bomb". :rolleyes:

A case could be made that it is the airlines fault for not having given the safety briefing to the stowaways. :idea:

My guess is the person died when the the gear came up.

It depends on the plane and where the person stowed themselves. Some wheel wells have plenty of space for a person to fit. IIRC there was once a survivor on a flight from Port au Prince to Miami.

The altitude and temps get you all the time. They never look good if they depart the aircraft on approach.

It depends on the plane and where the person stowed themselves. Some wheel wells have plenty of space for a person to fit. IIRC there was once a survivor on a flight from Port au Prince to Miami.

Looks like Wikipedia got some info from the BBC which got it from the FAA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stowaway

"From 1947 until September 2012, there were 96 known stowaway attempts worldwide in wheel wells of 85 separate flights, which resulted in 73 deaths with only 23 survivors.[2]"

[2] http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19562101

The scary question is how good is the airport security at these airports.

To play into the knee jerks, "If they can hide, they can also hide a bomb."

Bodies falling out of wheel wells is unfortunately a not uncommon phenomenon on flights that originate from Africa.

The people that try it have no idea what us really involved and the word doesn't seem to make it back to the others that it doesn't work.
"As my last official act, let me pass the word that stowing away in a wheelwell of an airliner is a really bad idea. Find another way."

Back