Dead Battery Question

PPC1052

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
PPC
Long story short, my battery didn't have enough charge to start the plane. I pulled the battery myself, and took it to the FBO. They put it on a charger, charged it over night, and now say the specific gravity has returned to the proper range. I intend to go pick the battery up, and reinstall it. Of course, I intend to log in in the reinstallation of the battery in maintenance records. My question is: when I get the battery back, should I expect/demand a log entry from the mechanic regarding the charging and testing of the battery that I can put in the logs? I don't know that I won't get one, I just want to be prepared in case they do not provide one.

Long story short, my battery didn't have enough charge to start the plane. I pulled the battery myself, and took it to the FBO. They put it on a charger, charged it over night, and now say the specific gravity has returned to the proper range. I intend to go pick the battery up, and reinstall it. Of course, I intend to log in in the reinstallation of the battery in maintenance records. My question is: when I get the battery back, should I expect/demand a log entry from the mechanic regarding the charging and testing of the battery that I can put in the logs? I don't know that I won't get one, I just want to be prepared in case they do not provide one.

no,, simply enter the removal and replacement. by your pilots number that is a PM function.

A good buddy of mine posted this on another forum. He is an A&P and tinkerer extrordinair.

"My C150 needed a new battery and rather than going with another old-school lead-acid battery like the Gill that was in it I started looking at Concordes. I realized that I had an old one on the shelf that was replaced in my RV after ten years of service. At the time of replacement it was fairly weak. It had been sitting on the shelf for over four years so for giggles I charged it and put it in the 150 since it was the FAA/PMA'ed battery. No dice when I tried to turn it over.

So for additional giggles I decided to see if I could revive it.

While the harshest winter I ever recall carried on I tried various charging techniques along with small desulfator purchased on eBay. Not much improvement. So the google answer machine was called in to help and I discovered some scant postings of people who were successful with rewetting the cells of AGM batteries with store-bought electrolyte. Popping the lid off the Concorde revealed some screwed-on vents. After opening the vents and looking inside I was surprised at the amount of junk floating around on top of the cells. I took the battery outside and shook it to dump the junk out. Then came a trip to the auto parts store and I came home with a 1.5 gallons of electrolyte purchased for $13 and filled up the battery full, let it sit for 30 minutes, then emptied the electrolyte, and recharged.

To my great surprise it now performs well, and stays charged over 12.6V or so even after sitting for a few weeks.

I have a couple of Odysseys on the shelf and I popped the cover off one to see if the same thing could be done. Most certainly doable but one would have to use a large syringe to rewet the cells."

no,, simply enter the removal and replacement. by your pilots number that is a PM function.

I know that I can remove and reinstall (and will log that part). But I'm not the one who charged it. That's the part I am asking about.

I know that I can remove and reinstall (and will log that part). But I'm not the one who charged it. That's the part I am asking about.

Well, as far as I know, charging it isn't the deal. Just do what Tom said and you will be fine.

I guess if you really want one, you could ask. But I don't think its necessary.

If charging required a log book entry I would have to make one each time I plug in my battery maintainer. Think of it like this, your alternator or generator charges the battery each time you start the engine. The battery charge did the same thing your alternator or generator does. The removal and installation do require the log book entry but the charging does not. As I understand it. Not an expert but trying to put it to you another way so you can see why charging is not a big deal.

Back