Dead 14 year old

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
Someone in the eighth grade just died today of Cerebral Arteriovenous Malformation. I didn't know her so this means nothing to me. My Science teacher explained to us that it's a birth defect in which the veins and arteries don't grow right leading into the brain so they get jumbled up preventing blood from reaching the brain. If detected it would be curable and people can live their entire lives with this without having problems. I just felt like sharing. Luckily she was an organ donor and her heart went to another 14 year old.

Last edited:
Such issues can be difficult to diagnose if they are not being actively sought. It is curable, though the surgery is extensive. Just proof that anyone can die at any time. Carpe diem.

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of someone so young...I can't begin to imagine how hard this has to be on her family. If there is anything in a situation like this that can bring any comfort to the family (beyond the saving of another life by organ donation), it is that most people with AVMs never know that they have them until they rupture and then the end generally comes quickly so there is very little suffering.

Your teacher is correct, it is a birth defect based upon how the blood vessels come together. They can range in size from a few millimeters (the size of a pencil eraser) to a couple of inches across. If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me and I will try to answer them or pass them along to a friend of mine who is a neurosurgeon and treats AVMs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back