De-icing an airplane - what to use?

Kilfrost (from the TKS folks) is one solution but I don't know where you can buy a bottle.

Attachments

• Kilfrost.jpg
    Kilfrost.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 11
To be quite honest light aircraft shouldn't depart unless the are completely clean without using fluid. Without deice or anti ice systems there is no way to get rid of any accumulation other than getting to warmer air temperature. If there is icing conditions present that will normally go against the limitations on the aircraft.

I'd agree with that, and make sure that anything I fly is completely clear before leaving, including on the de-iced planes (perhaps especially, since if it's not a de-iced plane I'm probably not flying it on days when I need to remove ice prior to takeoff).

But I don't think anyone is disputing that, either. They're just saying how they've done it. So long as the aircraft is completely clear before takeoff, how does it differ which method was used?

LearDriver may have been thinking about the "spray and go" concept which can work with specific de-icing fluids for specific time periods.

That's NOT what I was discussing. I want something to melt the frost/ice so I can dry the airplane (unless the temps are already above freezing).

hmmm, so any frost at all is a no go?

I apply the no-frost rule on flying surfaces. If there's some on the fuselage top I don't worry, but the wings and tail (vertical and horizontal) need to be clean.

Not even polished polished frost.
Maybe an attorney can review and see if this applies to pt91.

This applies to part 91 ops only if the op involves a "large airplane (MGW>= 12,500 lbs) or a turbojet powered airplane. For us lowly piston engine powered bugsmashers the rule change WRT polishing frost has no impact. OTOH, the FAA could and probably would pursue an enforcement action under 91.13 (careless and reckless) if a pilot attempted flight unsuccessfully with frost (polished or unpolished) on the lifting surfaces.

It references part 91 in the header and throughout the text, so I'd say it does:
nope - only 91.F (or K now I think) related to large airplanes and I'm pretty sure it applies to Fractionals too

Legally you can still be a test pilot for polished frost.

Last edited:
In flight?

Plumbers heat tape along the leading edges of the wings.

:D

LearDriver may have been thinking about the "spray and go" concept which can work with specific de-icing fluids for specific time periods.

That's NOT what I was discussing. I want something to melt the frost/ice so I can dry the airplane (unless the temps are already above freezing).

The other day when we had overnighted in Winchester, VA and had to get an early start to PA, the plane had a good bit of frost. I keep a couple of spray bottles in the plane (usually for cleaning the boots, one with plain water and the other with dilute Joy). We stopped by a store and bought a bottle of isopropyl alchohol (rubbing alchohol) for 90 cents, and used one of my spray bottles to lightly spray the frosted areas while the plane was being fueled. It worked very well.

If someone has a reason to not use isopropyl alchohol, please let me know.

Wells

Not even polished polished frost.
Maybe an attorney can review and see if this applies to pt91.

I've always found the concept of polished frost to be amusing when considering it on the wing of my cherokee 140. That wing is so dirty from rivets and so-so-paint that small amounts of frost would actually smooth the wing.

Anyone want to guess how long a light frost remains on the wing of a cherokee 140, theoretically of course.

If someone has a reason to not use isopropyl alchohol, please let me know.

It's flammable.

Search for videos for isopropyl fire, and you'll see.

If you have enough of it to deice a plane, and you douse yourself with it by accident, and then ignite, you'll suffer the same fate as this teen.

Not saying it's likely, but just so you know.

I have to leave the Bonanza on the ramp at night and this is what does it for me when I know Im gonna get screwed and there is no hangar

This is my preventative SOP.

-Plug a "y junction" into the engine plug in, run a cord connected to a ceramic heater into the cabin so all heaters are on one cord
Plug the plane in. This takes care of the fuselage and windows...plus keeps cabin toasty overnight.
-For the wings..I spray some type I glycol (or TKS) from a spray bottle on the wings and tail when I leave the plane, then again in the morning when I greet her...take a small size squeegee and wipe the slurpee away. I then re-spray prior to takeoff so frost wont re-freeze if Im even worried it will be an issue.

This certainly takes some thinking ahead but is well worth it after seeing planes turn into ice sculptures.

-run TKS too if you have it the night you park it all helps.
-I have used a moving blanket before too and that worked fairly well for slush.

Last edited:
I've always found the concept of polished frost to be amusing when considering it on the wing of my cherokee 140. That wing is so dirty from rivets and so-so-paint that small amounts of frost would actually smooth the wing.

Anyone want to guess how long a light frost remains on the wing of a cherokee 140, theoretically of course.

About the time your climbing through pattern altitude. Frost goes away very fast.

About the time your climbing through pattern altitude. Frost goes away very fast.
Clay, I'm dissapointed. You're a CFI.

How about the by time the fire company knocks the wreckage down out of the trees?

It is totally unpredictable how much frost is acceptable so FAA changed the directive (I'm to say that NONE is acceptable. Here 'tis: http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2009/E9-28431.htm

QUOTE: Under the final rule, operators will be required to remove any frost
adhering to critical surfaces prior to takeoff.

How about wing and tail covers?(!)

Last edited:
It's flammable.

Search for videos for isopropyl fire, and you'll see.

If you have enough of it to deice a plane, and you douse yourself with it by accident, and then ignite, you'll suffer the same fate as this teen.

Not saying it's likely, but just so you know.
I wonder if that's why there's some water in TKS fluid?

Clay, I'm dissapointed. You're a CFI.

How about the by time the fire company knocks the wreckage down out of the trees?

It is totally unpredictable how much frost is acceptable so FAA changed the directive (I'm to say that NONE is acceptable. Here 'tis: http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2009/E9-28431.htm

QUOTE: Under the final rule, operators will be required to remove any frost
adhering to critical surfaces prior to takeoff.

How about wing and tail covers?(!)

I don't disagree, but the truth is the really thin condensation stuff is goes away almost instantly. I simply answered the question. Didn't say that it was safe or not. There are many places that hoar frost wont really hurt a thing.

I vaguely recall using a mix of polypropylene glycol (safe antifreeze) and warm water to defrost the Mooney I used to be a partner in. The warm water did the work and the antifreeze lowers the freezing point and helps prevent refreezing.

I'm pretty sure it was paint-friendly. What do you all use?

+1 - Keep a jug and a small sprayer in the nose compartment during the winter months. If needed just mix 50/50 with HOT water and works like a charm. The one gallon jug is plenty to clean off a really frosty plane. Supposedly the stuff won't harm animals and the like.

+1 - Keep a jug and a small sprayer in the nose compartment during the winter months. If needed just mix 50/50 with HOT water and works like a charm. The one gallon jug is plenty to clean off a really frosty plane. Supposedly the stuff won't harm animals and the like.

What the FBO is using now (just for reference) is two pints isopropyl alchohol to 1 gallon winter windshield washer fluid (with some methyl alchohol in it). Heat it or just keep it inside and it works great, and is safe for paint and not toxic or attractive to animals.

Today at lunchtime. A little frosty ;)

a6cd8d90-ab9f-b0f1.jpg

Last edited:
Back