De-Ice trick

Captain

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
First Officer
So, I was in KOWD a couple months ago. We showed up to depart and the plane was covered with frost. The sun had just come up and the temp was 29F but it was warming and that was from an old ATIS. There were about 3 Cessnas worth of pilots sitting around waiting for the frost to melt so they could go.

I asked if the FBO had buckets and hot water. They did and proceeded to start throwing hot water on the plane after a quick call to the tower to get the actual temp. Sure enough, it was now 33F and warming. The plane was clear in about 15 minutes and 20 buckets.

The Cessna pilots saw this and next thing you know there was a train of buckets of steaming water heading out to the ramp to clear the Cessnas. I was given many, "never saw that before" and "good idea" from them. It was cheap too...as in free.

Just thought I'd pass the tip along to anyone it may help.

You can also put warm water in a sturdy plastic bag and simply drag it along the surfaces, if the frost is not too thick or cold. Saves the worry of water freezing on or in the control surfaces.

Back