De-frost?

So changing the topic from rectal procedures back to airplanes....

A garden sprayer filled with RV antifreeze or deicing windshield washer fluid is a good, harmless thing to use for frost? Doesn't need to be diluted? Do you wipe it down after spraying, or just spray it and leave it?

What about the windscreen and other windows?

I would use the antifreeze rather than the washer fluid. The washer fluid is harsher in the aluminum when it soaks into the seams.

When I lived in cold country, I used a spray bottle of isopropyl alcohol to remove frost. Just kept it away from the windows/plastics.

Just wondering, where can I go buy some glycol at? I bought the garden sprayer, but I'm not sure who sells glycol. Thanks

Just wondering, where can I go buy some glycol at? I bought the garden sprayer, but I'm not sure who sells glycol. Thanks

Auto parts store, get the one marked 'Environmentally Safe'. Typically the propylene glycol is pink. 50/50 gets you the lowest freeze point for most brands.

Henning, 50% i assume is the glycol, what is the other 50%?

Thanks! Will need it on trip in a couple days and there's no hangar available unfortunately..

Thanks! Will need it on trip in a couple days and there's no hangar available unfortunately..

Do a little reading on the temp you want the fluid to be at, sometimes you want to mix it with hot water, sometimes not.

Henning, how many gallons do you think I'll need for a PA28R? Also does a flashpoint of 90* F sound about right?

Last edited:

You might also look for your nearest geothermal dealer or their wholesale distributor.

Henning, how many gallons do you think I'll need for a PA28R? Also does a flashpoint of 90* F sound about right?

Quantity depends on what has accumulated, it can vary considerably between frost and snow/ice. I am not understanding your reference to flash point.

I ended up buying 3 gallons from advanced auto. It says if the temperature exceeds 90 degrees F it can explode...

I ended up buying 3 gallons from advanced auto. It says if the temperature exceeds 90 degrees F it can explode...

That may be the max recommended storage temp or maybe it says "-90F" burst temperature.

Last edited:
If you heat the fluid and start with a gallon in the sprayer you'll have some left over.

Preventing frost is easier than dealing with it. For a trip? A couple of pieces of visqueen or poly painter's drop cloths from Home Depot would be easy to carry and would keep frost off the wings.

If you heat the fluid and start with a gallon in the sprayer you'll have some left over.

Preventing frost is easier than dealing with it. For a trip? A couple of pieces of visqueen or poly painter's drop cloths from Home Depot would be easy to carry and would keep frost off the wings.

Yep, frost barely takes any, it's when wet snow freezes on that it can take more.

Thanks for the help. Expecting freezing rain the night before so I'm expecting some ice on the plane in the early morning hours (4am departure)

Thanks for the help. Expecting freezing rain the night before so I'm expecting some ice on the plane in the early morning hours (4am departure)

Go buy a roll of plastic, the comment that prevention is easier than cure is very true indeed.

And clear ice is MUCH more difficult to remove than frost. Don't expect a garden sprayer to do much for clear ice.

Big difference between a coating of ice and frost. Freezing rain will coat your plane in solid clear ice. That is much more substantial than some crystallized dew. Do not expect a pump sprayer of antifreeze to remove it. You will likely need a heated fluid to melt it.

You need to spray the surfaces before the snow starts and that may help.

Back