DCM Files

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
What the heck are "DCM" Files? I'm using Windows XP. In the "My Documents" section there are dozens of files(icons) which seem to be of small size but if buttoned the message comes up, "No preview available."

It seems that every one of them has a matching icon elsewhere in My Documents. Said matching(by File Name) can be invoked and brought up, whatever status - photo, text file or anything else.

Oh! Each of the "DCM" icons is followed by its represented File Name; said File Name is preceded by a dot (.) whereas the icon representing the "real deal" has no such "." ????????????????????

I noticed that I can delete said DCM designated icon and the "real deal" icon will still bring up its file. So I deleted just about all the DCM stuff, emptied the waste basket. But the ***tards seem to regenerate such that then MY Documents would show "Copy(2) of File such and such, Copy(3) ---- , and so on right up to as many as Copy(12) of --------

They would appear to be just taking up unnecessary space. But back to the primary question. What the hell are they, and why are they there?

HR(one who only wants to push the buttons, not know how to build the system)

Here's what appears to the right of the ?? icon. This is not a cut/paste:

Copy (17) of .Slide Printer
Ordersheet.p65
1KB
DCM File
The .p65 designates a Pagemaker 6.5 document. The
"DCM File" appears in a very light gray.

HR ???????????????????????????

Do you have an external hard drive and use software for backups? Perhaps Western Digital MyBook? If so--the files are generated by the backup software to track changes to files.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Western Digital My Book 500 gig, with Memeo Auto Backup software.

I did learn via research that DCM is jargon for Data Cache Management; but that didn't answer my query. So, Jesse: are "they" harmless and I should just ignore them? Thanks for the insight.

HR

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Western Digital My Book 500 gig, with Memeo Auto Backup software.

I did learn via research that DCM is jargon for Data Cache Management; but that didn't answer my query. So, Jesse: are "they" harmless and I should just ignore them? Thanks for the insight.

HR

Yes, most likely harmless, and essential to the proper operation of your backup software. (That is the most likely scenario..I'd have to really dig into the files to double check..but I wouldn't worry about it).

Back