DC3

PiperW

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
PiperW
thinking About getting my twin rating and then a endorsement in a DC3.

School in Georgia.

I would like to fly cargo for charity in the Caribbean as I have experience flying over the water.

Is that really possible with just a 3rd class? Do you need some type of cargo rating?

DC3 is a type rating.

Might be able to volunteer doing it with a 3rd class using a rented plane or something.

Possible according to the FAA or possible according to the insurance company?

“School in Georgia” probably means you’re planning on flying with Dan Gryder? He’s a member here as are some of the people in organizations he’s involved with.

As others have said, getting a type rating is easy. Finding one to fly harder. Finding an insurer who’ll let you fly it, harder yet.

If you pick up the phone and call him, he can explain all of this better than any online forum since he owns one.

Thanks for the input, to clarify, I don't expect to pilot the DC3, copilot would be the goal. Don't have the hours and probably unattainable at this stage in my life.

To reach that goal, you need a multi-engine rating, the type rating for PIC of course and...round motor time. The care and feeding of round motors are different from modern opposed engines.

To reach that goal, you need a multi-engine rating, the type rating for PIC of course and...round motor time. The care and feeding of round motors are different from modern opposed engines.
Who are you responding to?

Thanks for the input, to clarify, I don't expect to pilot the DC3, copilot would be the goal. Don't have the hours and probably unattainable at this stage in my life.

I believe if you’re flying with Dan, he can do the multi in another aircraft and an SIC type rating in the DC-3 or PIC.

All depends on how much time and money you have, but he’ll give you whatever level of workout you want, I think.

Back