DC visit - advice/suggestions

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
The family is considering a trip to DC this summer - while I won't be doing the flying, we'll let the 'pros' do that, I was hoping to get some ideas for places to stay and see.

The idea would be to spend 4-5 days. Counting travel time, it may actually come closer to 3-4 sightseeing days.

Option 1 - stay in DC, avoid rental car/parking expense, and see the Capitol/monuments/museums. Both kids are Jr High/High School and would actually enjoy this. Any suggestions on where to stay, where to avoid? This option does open up the possibility of renting a car just for a day to get out of town.

Option 2 - stay in the suburbs, get a rental car, make a 1-2 day trip into DC, then drive to other places outside of town. Any ideas here?

The only time I've been to DC was about 30 yrs ago, we stayed with family friends in Alexandria and spent 1 day in town. Enough time to see 2-3 museums for about 20 minutes each.

I'd appreciate any other 'family vacation' information anybody could share.

Thanks,
Matt

Staying further from downtown DC will save you money on the hotel, for sure. DO NOT Drive in downtown DC if you're not from around here. It's a scary place.

Personally, I recommend staying near Greenbelt, MD.

Why?

You're close to the DC Metro, for those day trips, and the DC metro is an EXCELLENT way to get around DC. (You'll also be close to the College Park airport museum).

Things to do:
Smithsonian, of course: Air and Space Museum, Natural History, American History are my favorites. The monuments, too, but after a while you seen one statue, you seen ...

MORE things to do in driving range of Greenbelt:
- Baltimore Inner Harbor - a 30 minute ride up 95 or 295 will take you to Baltimore's best sight seeing. Shops, dining, and the best damn aquarium in the country, IMO. (Skip the science center. It sucks.)
- The B&O Rail Museum - Baltimore is the birthplace of railroads in the US and the B&O Museum Round House is a must see for any rail buff.
- If you come in late August, consider the Maryland Renaissance Festival.
- Speaking of air and space, the Air & Space Museum Annex by Dullas Airport is a worthwhile trip.

And ---
---depending on when you head up here, maybe some of us DC and Baltimore area pilots can hook up with you.

I stayed for 3 nights last November at the Sheraton Four Points Downtown on K St. on vacation with my wife. I don't remember exactly how, but I landed a great rate, like $90/night (maybe because it was just after the election). It's an easy walk to everything, and was a very nice hotel. I think if you're flexible on dates, you might be able to find a reasonably good deal there. I agree with the recommendation to avoid/minimize driving in DC. It's fairly crazy and more than a little confusing too.

Jeff

mmm, I am inclined to disagree, I'd stay right in town and avoid the car completely. there are nice places to stay, I've never felt threatened walking around (esp during the daytime) and it will be a lot less hassle than driving or sitting on metro every day. there are 17 Smithsonians alone, plus Arlington Cemetery, and so on. you won't run out of things to do. If you can arrange a shuttle bus to Udvar-Hazy that would be one day, too.

I meant DRIVING in DC was scary.

Although you couldn't pay me to walk through NE or SE DC, and when I have to drive thru there, its doors locked all the way.

woodstock said:
mmm, I am inclined to disagree, I'd stay right in town and avoid the car completely. there are nice places to stay, I've never felt threatened walking around (esp during the daytime) and it will be a lot less hassle than driving or sitting on metro every day. there are 17 Smithsonians alone, plus Arlington Cemetery, and so on. you won't run out of things to do. If you can arrange a shuttle bus to Udvar-Hazy that would be one day, too.

I'd stay in town too for those reasons or someplace real close to the metro. Unless you have something you just *have* to see that the metro doesn't go to I'd skip the car rental.

There's a new Spy Museum.
http://www.spymuseum.org/index.asp

I'll have to look up the Baltimore area on the map to get a feel for where everything is. I was on a business trip and was staying just outside Ft. Meade on the opening night of Gulf War I. That put a damper on any attempts I was going to make to do any sightseeing during the 2-3 days I was in town.

When I was there, at the time, locals were warning me of places NOT to go in DC, as well as really talking up the waterfront area of Baltimore. I spent many years growing up in SE Virginia and got a taste of those crabs out of the Chesapeake, I'm looking forward to that again. Also, being a baseball nut, the chance to see an Orioles game is also intriguing. (I'll have to give the Nationals several years to mature.)

Up til now, I'd been inclined to stay outside town, commute in via the Metro (I have no idea about the logistics). This allows the chance to drive around the rest of the area.

Air & Space, Natural History, Arlington are definite must-do's.

Matt

Carol said:
A few pics

Hey Carol, that's amazing you chose those pics. My wife insisted on seeing the Kennedys' graves - my only request was Audie Murphy - stood there for awhile!

National Cemetery visits should be on everyones list, even the smaller local places. Churchill said it about the RAF, but it applies to us, too - "Never have so many owed so much to so few." I'll have to find my pictures of my trip a few years ago to the US cemetery in Luxembourg. Gen Patton and his guys are there.

bstratt said:
Hey Carol, that's amazing you chose those pics. My wife insisted on seeing the Kennedys' graves - my only request was Audie Murphy - stood there for awhile!

I had not seen the Kennedy grave(s) since, well just after JFK was buried there so it was new for me. I spent more time off the buses than I did on. There's a big area dedicated to nurses in the military. I spent a lot of time there.

The view over the city is absolutely breathtaking.

Matthew said:
I'll have to look up the Baltimore area on the map to get a feel for where everything is. I was on a business trip and was staying just outside Ft. Meade on the opening night of Gulf War I. That put a damper on any attempts I was going to make to do any sightseeing during the 2-3 days I was in town.

When I was there, at the time, locals were warning me of places NOT to go in DC, as well as really talking up the waterfront area of Baltimore. I spent many years growing up in SE Virginia and got a taste of those crabs out of the Chesapeake, I'm looking forward to that again. Also, being a baseball nut, the chance to see an Orioles game is also intriguing. (I'll have to give the Nationals several years to mature.)

Up til now, I'd been inclined to stay outside town, commute in via the Metro (I have no idea about the logistics). This allows the chance to drive around the rest of the area.

Air & Space, Natural History, Arlington are definite must-do's.

Matt

back then, there were many places in DC to avoid. that is much less true now. gentrification is the word of the day here. I'd still avoid SE apart from that around Capitol Hill.

two more things:

definitely add the FDR Memorial to the list. one of my favorites now.

and if you fly into DCA you get to see the monuments!

One of my favorite restaurants I frequented when I lived in the D.C. Area was Old Europe on Wisconsin Avenue in Georgetown. Great German Food.:cheers:

Personally, I'd vote for "Door #1". There is MORE than enough to do/see in DC alone in 3/4 days (hell, you could spend that JUST in the Smithsonian Museums on the mall ... and still not finish) w/o the need for a rental car. Metro or the tour busses can take you anywhere you need/want to go for a lot less coin and a lot less hassle.

You have plenty of time, shop around, find yourself a decent place at a decent rate. Just make sure it's on/near Metro Rail.

Matthew said:
The family is considering a trip to DC this summer - while I won't be doing the flying, we'll let the 'pros' do that, I was hoping to get some ideas for places to stay and see.

The idea would be to spend 4-5 days. Counting travel time, it may actually come closer to 3-4 sightseeing days.

Option 1 - stay in DC, avoid rental car/parking expense, and see the Capitol/monuments/museums. Both kids are Jr High/High School and would actually enjoy this. Any suggestions on where to stay, where to avoid? This option does open up the possibility of renting a car just for a day to get out of town.

Option 2 - stay in the suburbs, get a rental car, make a 1-2 day trip into DC, then drive to other places outside of town. Any ideas here?

The only time I've been to DC was about 30 yrs ago, we stayed with family friends in Alexandria and spent 1 day in town. Enough time to see 2-3 museums for about 20 minutes each.

I'd appreciate any other 'family vacation' information anybody could share.

Thanks,
Matt

Well.....

We spent (and are still spending) the year dealing with the unexpected/unpleasant issues of life - elderly parents, strokes, stroke side-effects, hospitals, nursing homes, ...

Maybe next year.

Back