DC power electronics help

lolachampcar

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
lolachampcar
I'm working on an experimental application which is currently using a GE GCU but only about half the functions of that GCU. I have an overhaul manual, schematic, theory of operation and parts list for the unit. I would like to do my own design incorporating the GCU elements I am using along with the remainder of the start/online/trip relay logic which is now external to the GCU.

The issue I am running into is that the discrete components are all called out in the parts list (Cap Xuf/Yvoltage, Resistor Xohm/Ywatts) but the semiconductors are not. This is likely to leave flexibility for the manufacturer to qualify additional parts as existing ones are obsoleted. Anyway, I'm a digital guy and could really use the help of a power DC analog person to make sure the transistors and diodes are properly spec'd.

By chance does anyone out there have such expertise and can I engage your services to sort this project out?

Thanks,
Bill

If we knew what the he!! a GCU is and what it does, we might be able to. No, the manufacturer didn't leave them out of the MPL in order to qualify more parts, they were left out so you couldn't duplicate the unit.

Jim

If we knew what the he!! a GCU is and what it does, we might be able to. No, the manufacturer didn't leave them out of the MPL in order to qualify more parts, they were left out so you couldn't duplicate the unit.

Jim
Generator Control Unit. The ones I have been around are on turbine engines to among other things, change the starter into a generator after start. They also detect SOUR, Short, Overvoltage, and Under voltage/Reverse current.

Jim,

If they were concerned, they would have removed the part numbers from the components. I just got another one in and took a look inside. Amazing. Its prehistoric.
Plano is spot on. The only thing this GE GCU does not do is the reverse current function. That is handled by the RCR or reverse current relay.

Jim,

If they were concerned, they would have removed the part numbers from the components. I just got another one in and took a look inside. Amazing. Its prehistoric.
Plano is spot on. The only thing this GE GCU does not do is the reverse current function. That is handled by the RCR or reverse current relay.
I could be wrong, but my best guess is that they used semiconductors with "in house" numbering, not generic manufacturer's numbers. Why not toss out a couple of "part numbers" and give us a shot at identifying them?

Sometimes "prehistoric" circuitry was designed he!! for stout and much better reliability than today's "let's design it on the edge and see what happens".

Jim

Back