DC One-X or Zulu 3s

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
Purchasing a headset for my wife/passengers and was originally thinking I would get the Zulu 3s for her. I have Bose A20s myself, but don't want to spend the money on them. The DC One-X's seem to have really good reviews.

How is the ANR between the One-X and the Zulu 3s? I know comfort wise the Zulu 3s seem to get great feedback. Not sure on the One-Xs (hopefully they aren't head clampers like the old DC headsets).

Clarity Aloft's are not an option - just sold my pair of CA Links.

I Really, REALLY like my ONE-X. My CFII has Zulu 3's and finds that my One-X is far more comfortable and about the same on noise cancellation. The only thing she prefers with the Zulu is the slider volume vs the button volume on the One-X. I've used Bose's and Zulu's and still would take the One-X every time.

I Really, REALLY like my ONE-X. My CFII has Zulu 3's and finds that my One-X is far more comfortable and about the same on noise cancellation. The only thing she prefers with the Zulu is the slider volume vs the button volume on the One-X. I've used Bose's and Zulu's and still would take the One-X every time.

Hmm...man...they are tempting...they look like they are a little more low profile compared to the bulkier Zulu 3s as well...

So you find the One-X ANR is about on par with the Zulu 3s? The reviews for the One-X are really good, but a lot of people seem to rank the ANR as Bose > Zulu 3 > DC One-X

So you find the One-X ANR is about on par with the Zulu 3s? The reviews for the One-X are really good, but a lot of people seem to rank the ANR as Bose > Zulu 3 > DC One-X
Sorry, My CFII has a Zulu 2. I'd say the Zulu 2 and One-X are equal. Yeah the Bose is quieter, but also the least comfortable in my opinion.

Sorry, My CFII has a Zulu 2. I'd say the Zulu 2 and One-X are equal. Yeah the Bose is quieter, but also the least comfortable in my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback. Tough choice between the Zulu 3 and One X...what's weird is some of the reviews say the One-X has the most clamping force, yet other folks say it is the most comfortable.

Try them out! Most places like sportys let you try them for 30 days. GIve the One-X a try you can't go wrong there but if for any reason you doubt it's superiority, then just return it.

It depends on what you fly. The Bose A20 will not handle the noise of the loud aerobatic planes I fly. They just buzz and crackle.
The One X is ok in quiet planes but you give it some noise and it isn't any better than the passive DC's. The Zulu 3 is what I use and it seems to work in every condition. I really like the adjustable mic gain on the Zulu's. I have mine all the way down. I can fly open cockpit and not pick up any wind feedback.

I fly with Sierra's and like them. Considering a pair of zulu 3's from @pigpenracing but not there yet. I bought a pair of Halo's for my wife and she absolutely LOVES them! I tried them as well and was very pleased with them. I also am considering them for me as well but after a while having foam in my ears gets annoying as well. So I guess it boils down to clamping or foam in the ears, which is less invasive. The Halo's were just as quiet as my lightspeeds and my wife's Bose X all while not having to deal with batteries. A dead ANR from batteries is absolutely annoying. And I see QT finally stocks the halo's once again.

If I were to try in ear again it would be Halos

LOL! The Halo's suck compared to the Clarity! I like my Clarity Link in the Cub. I bought a new Halo to try and it looked like a 3 year old put it together! I sent it back for refund. I also tried the Faro in ear which is complete china garbage!

I fly with Sierra's and like them. Considering a pair of zulu 3's from @pigpenracing but not there yet. I bought a pair of Halo's for my wife and she absolutely LOVES them! I tried them as well and was very pleased with them. I also am considering them for me as well but after a while having foam in my ears gets annoying as well. So I guess it boils down to clamping or foam in the ears, which is less invasive. The Halo's were just as quiet as my lightspeeds and my wife's Bose X all while not having to deal with batteries. A dead ANR from batteries is absolutely annoying. And I see QT finally stocks the halo's once again.

I have 2 Zulu 3's left! One for @simtech and one for @CC268

Zulu

I have thousands of hours between my 1s and 2s, I really like them and the company is good too.

We use DC's here at the sims, and they break ALOT!! Like ALOT, we are always fixing them. However they also get used and abused ALOT! But because of how much I have to work on them ill never own a pair. @pigpenracing im not ready to pull the trigger, but when and I do ill for sure let ya know!

Wife liked the Zulu 3s so that’s what I ordered.

LOL! The Halo's suck compared to the Clarity! ... I also tried the Faro in ear which is complete china garbage!

I've not tried the Faro. I do prefer my CA's to my Halo's, but the Halo's have the advantage of a smaller case when I'm flying commercial and bringing them for a rental plane. I used to use the uFly Mic for that but Halo's are better.

Anyway, further proof that headsets are a PP item (personal preference). I don't prefer my Bose X that works great. Lisa wears them most of the time. I keep my primary CA's in my plane all the time. And when I fly with someone else I take the other CA's or the Halo's.

Victims, er passengers, other than Lisa get the DC H10-20's... 'cause they don't know no better. :)

LOL! The Halo's suck compared to the Clarity! I like my Clarity Link in the Cub. I bought a new Halo to try and it looked like a 3 year old put it together! I sent it back for refund. I also tried the Faro in ear which is complete china garbage!
I assume you used the halos before sending them back? The way this is written you sent them back without even trying them.

I don’t buy a headset for how they look. My halos have more than 300 hours on them and they work just like they did day one. And I’m pretty hard on them.

What other decisions does your wife make for you? Man up like me and get the green ones. (don't tell my wife I said this)

I would have bought the One Xs if they came in Tiffany Blue :p

While I'll agree they're not the prettiest things, they're super light and quiet... plus, they'll take a beating. If you do have issues, they stand behind their product, too. I've had mine for years and put them through hell. A buddy with CAs? Already had to have speakers replaced and has spent significantly more in upkeep ;-)

I went ahead and bought a couple bags of the ear tips online from his supplier... much cheaper than buying them from QT.

Well....... Tom Cruise likes the DC's although these do not appear to be the DC Ones
David-Clark-Headsets-Used-by-Tom-Cruise-in-American-Made-12.jpg

I’ve flown with both the Zulu 3s and the One-X and can tell no real discernable difference in noise cancelation quality. The Zulus are head and shoulders above in music quality though IMO if you listen to tunes while you fly.

Are the DC's really made in the USA? That matters to me to some degree. I've read Bose is USA and Zulu Asia.

Back