DC H10-30 mic issue

Ryan7943

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan7943
Hi all. This afternoon I went for a flight with a buddy of mine and I tried out my brand new H10-30. Immediately I noticed that transmitting to my passenger was very choppy unless I spoke quite loudly. Reception from my passenger and ATC were fine. My transmissions to ATC also seemed to be okay, but when just trying to talk to my passenger it kept cutting in and out. If anyone could offer any help it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

What kind of audio panel setup? Sounds like a squelch level issue.

Hi all. This afternoon I went for a flight with a buddy of mine and I tried out my brand new H10-30. Immediately I noticed that transmitting to my passenger was very choppy unless I spoke quite loudly. Reception from my passenger and ATC were fine. My transmissions to ATC also seemed to be okay, but when just trying to talk to my passenger it kept cutting in and out. If anyone could offer any help it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Did you try adjusting squelch on the intercom/audio panel? What model of intercom/audio panel is in the plane?

The audio panel was a Bendix/King KMA 26 and I guarantee you guys are right that it was the squelch. I'll give that a try on my next flight. I'm a low hour private pilot still learning something new on every flight! Thank you for the help.

The audio panel was a Bendix/King KMA 26 and I guarantee you guys are right that it was the squelch. I'll give that a try on my next flight. I'm a low hour private pilot still learning something new on every flight! Thank you for the help.

Well, yes and no. If you adjust the squelch for YOUR headset then your buddy with a different headset may or may not be adjusted properly.

The drill is to use a known good headset and set the squelch so that it opens on normal voice. Then on your new headset, find the mic gain control (it is a LITTLE TINY slot screwdriver adjust on the microphone itself) and set it so that it is the same volume and squelch action.

See if that works for you.

Jim

Sometimes the phone plugs develop a bit of oxidation that interferes with mic operation. Sometimes it's corrosion inside the aircraft's jacks. Clean the plugs with a bit of Scotchbrite and run the plug in and out of the jack a few times. Might help some. Older DCs used unplated brass plugs that oxidized too easily.

Dan

Well, yes and no. If you adjust the squelch for YOUR headset then your buddy with a different headset may or may not be adjusted properly.

The drill is to use a known good headset and set the squelch so that it opens on normal voice. Then on your new headset, find the mic gain control (it is a LITTLE TINY slot screwdriver adjust on the microphone itself) and set it so that it is the same volume and squelch action.

See if that works for you.

Jim

Okay, yes I see the screw you are talking about. Thank you! I'll try that next time.

Sometimes the phone plugs develop a bit of oxidation that interferes with mic operation. Sometimes it's corrosion inside the aircraft's jacks. Clean the plugs with a bit of Scotchbrite and run the plug in and out of the jack a few times. Might help some. Older DCs used unplated brass plugs that oxidized too easily.

Dan

Good to know. If jim's suggestion doesn't work I'll definitely look into this.

Listen to Wierd Jim. He has taught me many things about headsets, radio and intercoms and how they interact over the past 30 years.

Back