DC Folks - SFRA question

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
SFRA - chart says you must be in comms with ATC. Is that all, or do you need to do anything like file in advance? In other words, does the outer area work like class B, or is it more involved? Any big differences between VFR/IFR there?

Not planning on flying through anytime soon, but it is looking like I will be moving back to Virginia in the fall and I'm looking to get up to speed in advance.

You need to have a 'SFRA flight plan' on file. This is a flighplan marked 'IFR' with a VFR altitude from the 'gate' to the airport of destination (it is entered as 'IFR' in order to generate a 'strip' at the SFRA controllers desk). The only exception to that is Leesburg where they have a procedure involving in and outbound transponder codes without ATC involvement.

Do the training, it's explained there.

Training is at www.faasafety.gov, and is REQUIRED if you fly under VFR within 60 NM of the DCA VOR. Go ahead and take the course, and post back here if you have any questions.

I'm based in the area (Northern VA), feel free to get in touch as your move approaches.

Take the course that Tim references.

Basically, IFR is seamless, except that you must keep your code until you're on the ground or (if departing) from the time you leave the ground. Never, ever, squawk VFR in the SFRA.

VFR requires a special flight plan & communication with ATC. FLight plan is to-from specific gates from-to the airport you want to fly to.

The DC-3 airports inside the FRZ require that you pass certain security procedures & get briefed for each airport in question. There are special flight plan & routing requirements. You'd need to contact each of those three airports for specifics.

Training is at www.faasafety.gov, and is REQUIRED if you fly under VFR within 60 NM of the DCA VOR. Go ahead and take the course,...
Specifically, this course. And while it's required only within 60nm and VFR, it's recommended within 100nm regardless of IFR or VFR. Takes about half an hour, and well worth the time.

I would also note that while the course credit is good forever under the rules, if you took that course more than two years ago, you might want to take it again, because things have changed.

Last edited:
I would also note that while the course credit is good forever under the rules, if you took that course more than two years ago, you might want to take it again, because things have changed.
Not to mention that if like me you've pretty much forgotten half the information learned the last time I took the course.

Back