DC ADIZ vs. SFRA

gdwindowpane

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
gdwindowpane
I'm a student pilot getting close to PPL checkride. I am thinking of taking the DC SFRA exam so that I can be ready to fly down to my dad's grass strip which is just south of the DC SFRA (I'd be coming from PA). He suggested I just go ahead and get it done.

I started looking into it and see references to the DC ADIZ. Was this changed to the SFRA in 2009? If so I imagine I only need to take the SFRA course and exam?

Is this something I can do as a student pilot? I have an account on faasafety.gov so I should get credit for taking it.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Chris

The ADIZ predated the SFRA, and yes you can do it as a student.

Yes, I had to take the SFRA training since the airport I fly from (HEF) is inside the SFRA. So for any flights other than pattern work, you need to a.) have taken the SFRA training b.) keep the little certificate with you and c.) file a SFRA flight plan for entry/exit from the SFRA. My CFI told me to get this done by our second flight. The training is easy - all online - and the test is no big deal as long as you paid attention during the aforementioned online training.

Yep, calling it the ADIZ was a confusing screw up on the FAA's part, because it had nothing to do with the existing (US border) ADIZ and had completely different rules. I caused a lot of confusion among the masses. It then got the more correct, but less pronounceable name of the DC SFRA. It's not the only SFRA, but SFRA's all come with their own set of rules.

Yes, the course is a snoozer, but it has important information you need to have if you're going to fly anywhere near DC.
Yes, you can do it now. All you need is about 30 minutes and not be in need of sleep :)

I'm based in the FRZ, which is within the SFRA. . . it's a very light lift to do and pass the SFRA course. Don't sweat it, and make it clear when you file that you'll be entering the DC SFRA. Otherwise, it's just like flying into any airspace that requires you to talk and squawk.

The course will make it clear you have to make radio contact and be cleared in - they used to include a little graphic you could print, a sort of SFRA map outline, with the freqs to use (depends the direction you arrive from), and the names and locations of the arrival "gates". You don't have to fly directly over the gate/reporting point on entry or exit, just pick the one closest to your route.

PS
The FAA has a cheat sheet/kneeboard refernce on the faasafety site - just Google DC SFRA. . .

Back