DBase update for an Apollo GX60

DKirkpatrick

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DKirkpatrick
Anybody got a source for this? Radio works great... just old database.
thanks
—dan

I think it’s sad how manufacturers will end up leaving some users out in the cold. Converting the data shouldn’t be that difficult. I wonder if it can be open sourced...

If he’ll won’t support it, why not allow it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. That ought to be a foregone thing... If you abandon the database, it ought to be open sourced. There's a ton of really good, albeit long in the tooth, Apollo equipment out there - like this unit, with a good comm in it. Makes a great #2 radio... I think it's just a way of bullying you into buying another radio.

Yeah. That ought to be a foregone thing... If you abandon the database, it ought to be open sourced. There's a ton of really good, albeit long in the tooth, Apollo equipment out there - like this unit, with a good comm in it. Makes a great #2 radio... I think it's just a way of bullying you into buying another radio.

A) I think they've said the support is stopping due to database size and card limitations. B) Open source isn't exactly "highly-regulated-IFR-certified-equipment" friendly.

Hogwash. Opinion.

You can have pcmcia to sd card adapters.

Moreover, people can load partial plates as needed.

Jeppesen /boring are all about and have always been about the $$$. It pains me that they acquired ForeFlight but that’s capitalism

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can have pcmcia to sd card adapters.
Interfacing to a SD card requires I/O support.
I/O support is optional on PCMCIA.
Therefore, it is very possible that the SD-to-PCMCIA adapter won't work if the GPS maker didn't support that option.

The KLN-94 in our archer has PCMCIA, but it is only used to transport the data from a pc to the kln. The data is then stored internally. Im frankly amazed that it still works considering the number of RNAV approaches developed since it was new.

I wonder how much the total number of IAP's has changed since the 90's. Have as many old approaches been discontinued as new RNAV's developed? I suspect there's a lot more as a lot of small fields and second runways now have RNAVs that previously had nothing.

I believe Jepp stopped database support for this unit June 30, 2019

The GX60 data is split amongst 2 cards, an east and west. Your best bet is to ask this question on multiple forums and hopefully someone can sell you the data to the side they don't need.. Preferably someone with a spare card so you can just swap cards every month. Ive been there and done that and worked fine.

Or if you travel and break the east west divide in the cards, get the old data and always live a month behind. I just can't remeber where that spit is. But time is short regardless unfortunately..
I believe Jepp stopped database support for this unit June 30, 2019
https://support.jeppesen.com/article?aid=kA20z000000GvMLCA0
December 3rd 2020.

hey, just to circle back to land on this... talked w a nice guy at Jeppesen who said he could do a one time update to the data on the GX60... but only through December. After that it's a no can do...
Hustle up if you have this equipment! At least get current thru the end of the year!

Back