Daytona Beach airspace question

JoeCFI

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JoeCFI
I am headed down to Daytona Beach next week to ferry a plane back here to the New England. But before I launch, I want to fly the plane around locally a bit first. Looking at the airspace in and around KDAB and KEVB, seems like its nothing but restricted airspace and alert areas with Orlando Class Bravo to south. Looks like getting above 4000' gives you some wriggle room and maybe go west over by DED, but that looks like they may have parachute operations going, so may have to stay clear of that. I mean obviously I can look at the sectional and try to carve out some space and I'll most likely ask for flight following if approach is willing to help. But anyway, just wondering if any locals have any tips on where best areas are to just do some maneuvering flight.

I used to instruct at DAB and DED. It's been a little while but I'm sure that flying in that airspace can still be generously described as "combat flying". The are several VFR designated practice areas. Be aware and watchful for the low level MTR's that penetrate the practice areas North West of DAB. Best bet would be to stop in at Phoenix East Aviation and ask about current areas and procedures. They're good folks and will help you out.

Daytona has ERAU based there, something like 100+ planes. Plus several other puppy mill schools. So lots of student traffic. Having said that, most of it is concentrated in the patterns of nearby airports. The practice areas are really not that busy, particularly if you get a few miles away from DAB to the north. There are MOA's and Restricted areas to the west. My suggestion would be to go north along I95, it gives you KOMN and KFIN as bail outs. DAB approach lets you transition their airspace over 95 at a decent altitude. All this is assuming you are looking for proximity to landing options for an uncertain aircraft.
One last point, don't expect to get flight following. Orlando, Daytona and Jacksonville have all been turning down requests pretty regularly, I think due to continued staffing constraints from COVID.

I’m a Yankees who flew into the area a while back- new Smyrna beach... we had no issues just running the coast down and passed lots of airports...

Flown through there as well. Seemed like a yawner. Go north of the field a bit and all your concerns go bye bye. Not even sure why they were concerns to begin with.

I had a place in Spruce Creek for years, compared to the airspace in BOS/NY/DC it's not bad. If IFR or flight following, easy-peasy. VFR, many of the R areas are not as limiting as they seem. Some have high floors, some are rarely hot.

If you are taking off from DAB, FF is pretty easy, it's a little hard at times with a pop-up since they can be busy. They will judge you by your call up, it's much easier if you sound like you know what you are doing. True everywhere I guess.

There is a lot of student traffic though. A lot. Not all are truly English proficient. But they mostly stay in their own areas.

Flying up and down the coast is fun for any passengers. Not so much for the pilot since you'll be looking for traffic. A low pass on the shuttle runway is a must.

Have fun.

I had a place in Spruce Creek for years, compared to the airspace in BOS/NY/DC it's not bad. If IFR or flight following, easy-peasy. VFR, many of the R areas are not as limiting as they seem. Some have high floors, some are rarely hot.

If you are taking off from DAB, FF is pretty easy, it's a little hard at times with a pop-up since they can be busy. They will judge you by your call up, it's much easier if you sound like you know what you are doing. True everywhere I guess.

There is a lot of student traffic though. A lot. Not all are truly English proficient. But they mostly stay in their own areas.

Flying up and down the coast is fun for any passengers. Not so much for the pilot since you'll be looking for traffic. A low pass on the shuttle runway is a must.

Have fun.

yes the shuttle pass was cool, they only gave us instructions to not touch it- no 100agl or anything so we did it about 10’ AGL. Did it with a past owner of my plane which was a really cool way to meet up

Daytona has ERAU based there, something like 100+ planes. Plus several other puppy mill schools. So lots of student traffic. Having said that, most of it is concentrated in the patterns of nearby airports. The practice areas are really not that busy, particularly if you get a few miles away from DAB to the north. There are MOA's and Restricted areas to the west. My suggestion would be to go north along I95, it gives you KOMN and KFIN as bail outs. DAB approach lets you transition their airspace over 95 at a decent altitude. All this is assuming you are looking for proximity to landing options for an uncertain aircraft.
One last point, don't expect to get flight following. Orlando, Daytona and Jacksonville have all been turning down requests pretty regularly, I think due to continued staffing constraints from COVID.

Thanks for info on FF, may ask anyway, they can always say no. Plane is an almost new Archer, so not worried about that, mostly just a flight to get familiar with G1000 and AP before heading off.

Have fun.

Interesting. I am based in Mass, and have flown in and out of Logan a dozen times or so, and fly in NY airspace pretty regularly, but this airspace just looked more daunting to me for some reason. Flew our Comanche down to Sun N Fun earlier this year, was surprised at how many of those areas were actually hot.

I'm hoping my radio phraseology will be up to snuff. :)

Actually picking plane up at Spruce Creek and going to reposition to DAB as that is where we are staying and will make it easier to access plane morning of departure.

Someone asked why I even bothered asking about this. Well, been flying 20 years, have 4,000 hours, and ya know, I've found it never hurts to ask about any sort of local knowledge that might help smooth things out, that's all. Anyway. thanks for all the responses, think I'm good.

Back