Dayton Ohio - National Museum of the US Air Force

Which dates work best for you (multiples allowed)?

• April 22-24 (Rough River weekend)

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • May 6-8

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • June 10-12

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • June 24-26

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

wayne

Pattern Altitude
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
wayne
Looking to see who has interest in doing a trip to Dayton, OH with the primary activity being the National Museum of the US Air Force. Those nearby may want to just do a day trip. Those further away, or those wanting to do more activities in Dayton, may want to do a weekend trip; which is what I'm planning.

Currently I'm thinking we do the Air Force museum on Saturday, which should work better for those that want to do a day trip and those wanting to fly in after work on Friday.

There are lots of other things to do in Dayton. Right now I'm thinking of seeing the Dayton Dragons (baseball) Friday night for those that come in on Friday. Another option is we do that Saturday night. The Dayton Dragon are a High-A affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds.

Some other activities in Dayton:

Once we have a date we can start discussing hotel and restaurant options. Decide if we want to stay at the same location and eat one or more meals together and whether anyone wants to do any of the other activities together in subgroups.

Why those dates? Those dates work for me, :D , and they are all home game days for the baseball team (something else to do there).

I’d seriously consider allowing two full days for the AF museum. It’s HUUGE. I’ve been there twice in recent years, spent two days each time, and would still go back.

The way they break it into big, themed buildings makes dividing it into two days easy.

I like the last set of days, but agree on wanting two full days for the museum.

the 2022 Dayton Hamvention is scheduled for May 20-22. No, those dates are not an option but just an FYI if your plans change. Assuming the Hamvention takes place this year expect very limited hotel availability. Hamvention attracts thousands of people from around the world. Hamvention is based at the Greene County Fairgrounds in Xenia, OH. When we were going to Hamvention we always made a point to visit the AF Museum at Wright-Pat. It's been a few years but there used to be...might still be...an annex on the base that has a number of presidential and other aircraft. If that is still the case the only way to see the annex is by bus. to get a seat on the bus you must register at the museum with a govt. issued photo id. there is no charge for the shuttle bus.

the 2022 Dayton Hamvention is scheduled for May 20-22. No, those dates are not an option but just an FYI if your plans change. Assuming the Hamvention takes place this year expect very limited hotel availability. Hamvention attracts thousands of people from around the world. Hamvention is based at the Greene County Fairgrounds in Xenia, OH. When we were going to Hamvention we always made a point to visit the AF Museum at Wright-Pat. It's been a few years but there used to be...might still be...an annex on the base that has a number of presidential and other aircraft. If that is still the case the only way to see the annex is by bus. to get a seat on the bus you must register at the museum with a govt. issued photo id. there is no charge for the shuttle bus.
They did away with the bus to a separate hangar a few years ago. It's all now together at one complex.

If you settle on a date, I’d be happy to tell some tales on a tour about some of the aircraft developments I worked on that are in the museum from the F-111 Aardvark to the F-22. And no, I didn’t work on the Wright Flyer.

Used to have season tickets to the Dragons until they put up netting from home plate to the outfield. Damn lawyers. Still it’s a great ball park.

Dinner can range from the Pine Club, one of the best in the country according to several surveys, to a lot of really good Mom and Pop places like Mama DiSalvo’s and Figglio’s.

Another Aviation activity is to take a ride on the Wright B Flyer based at MGY. They built a new version and depending on COVID, FAA Approval and the Phase of the moon, they will be flying passengers. If not, it’s still worth a look as you can see what was one of the first “production” aircraft. https://www.facebook.com/WrightBFlyer/

Keep me in the loop.

Cheers

I used to volunteer at the Museum. One tip, make your way to the back of the Museum, Gallery 4, and work your way forward. You really don’t want to work your way to the back looking at Gallery 1-4, and then after being on your feet for 4 hours or more, still have to walk all the way back to the main entrance and then way out to your car. Gallery 4 has the Presidential aircraft, the Space Shuttle, and the research and technology birds.

If in Dayton the Carillon Historic Park is a good stop and maybe the Waco museum in Troy.

I’d seriously consider allowing two full days for the AF museum. It’s HUUGE. I’ve been there twice in recent years, spent two days each time, and would still go back.

The way they break it into big, themed buildings makes dividing it into two days easy.
Agreed. As I recall, it's huge...and very much worth going!

I only had the pleasure once. I was flying airline out of Dayton on a business trip at a place not in dayton. I was getting into that area with about an hour as I recall (maybe it was 1-1/2 hours or so) before I needed to get to the airport for check-in...so I saw what I could of the museum. I saw most of it....on the run! Literally at a jogging pace, Didn't read many of the placards but yeah, I am very glad that I did even that. very good museum!

Back