Dayton Airport fined for safety violations

I would like to see the FAA offer to waive the fine if the city corrects the problem.

This would encourage the city to fix it sooner since they would have to pay the fine if they don't. And the tax payer money that would of went to the fine would instead go to fix the problem.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'm assuming they had one or more of their ARFF vehicles go out of service and were no longer able to meet their required Index. This is a pretty basic and core tenant to being a Part 139 certified airport, and the notifications required to the FAA and the carriers are written directly in Part 139 (see below). I would also assume that the FAA found the out of service vehicle or vehicles during an annual or surprise certification inspection, meaning they have been out of service for some time prior to said inspection. The Airport should have regular scheduled inspections of their vehicle readiness (daily, monthly, and annual), and should know their vehicle is not functioning properly long before a Certification Inspector finds it.

14 CFR 139.319 - (3) Any required vehicle that becomes inoperative to the extent that it cannot perform as required by paragraph (g)(1) of this section must be replaced immediately with equipment having at least equal capabilities. If replacement equipment is not available immediately, the certificate holder must so notify the Regional Airports Division Manager and each air carrier using the airport in accordance with § 139.339. If the required Index level of capability is not restored within 48 hours, the airport operator, unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, must limit air carrier operations on the airport to those compatible with the Index corresponding to the remaining operative rescue and firefighting equipment.

As stated above by @midwestpa24, having the proper ARFF equipment and personnel is a non-negotiable requirement for airports with scheduled air carrier operations.

That the deficiency was cited for just seven flights indicates the problem was quickly corrected. I'd like to know more details, it's difficult to pass judgement without them.

As stated above by @midwestpa24, having the proper ARFF equipment and personnel is a non-negotiable requirement for airports with scheduled air carrier operations.

That the deficiency was cited for just seven flights indicates the problem was quickly corrected. I'd like to know more details, it's difficult to pass judgement without them.
Yeah, if it was really just for seven flights, that's one thing. If they only fixed it because they were caught, someone needs to be unemployed.

Yeah, if it was really just for seven flights, that's one thing. If they only fixed it because they were caught, someone needs to be unemployed.

Sadly I have seen other airports let the details slip through the cracks. Years ago JFK airport (yes that JFK airport) received major fines because some or all of their airport firefighters did not receive their required annual certification live fire training. Its amazing that kind of stuff happens, but I guess at larger airports with hundreds of employees and a lot of management, things can slip through the cracks.

Probably blew the engine drag racing on the runway in he middle of the night, and even though they worked feverishly to get a new engine installed, 7 flights happened before they could do so.

I would like to see the FAA offer to waive the fine if the city corrects the problem.

This would encourage the city to fix it sooner since they would have to pay the fine if they don't. And the tax payer money that would of went to the fine would instead go to fix the problem.

Wait, I am one of the tax payers and we gave Dayton (and hundreds of more airports like them) $20 million over the last 5 years to have an operational FAA approved airport for airline service. Dayton is not upholding their end of the bargain. I would like to see the FAA collect the fine.

2021 - Dayton Airport awarded 1.6 million from infrastructure bill.
2020 - Dayton Airport $4 million pandemic relief money.
2019 - $4.3 million to the Dayton airport as part of its Airport Improvement Plan Supplement Grant program.
2018, 2019, 2020, Dayton Airport $750,000 Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Grant.
2017 - Dayton airport, another $9.6 million for infrastructure from FAA.

Can't correct it. It already happened. It was just on one day, for seven flights they were short trucks.

EDIT: Well gee, shoulda kept reading down before replying. Anyway, wonder how they calculated that fine. $167,343. Were there some cents and they rounded?

Probably blew the engine drag racing on the runway in he middle of the night, and even though they worked feverishly to get a new engine installed, 7 flights happened before they could do so.
We're almost done Tower, send those guys around one more time:goofy:

Back