Daylight Savings Time starts March 11

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
Daylight Savings Time starts March 11, three weeks earlier than in previous years. If you haven't updated it very recently, your computer won't be aware of the change in law.

Another absurd federal mandate. And we think we can fight user fees? Silly humans.

My computers clock will be wrong bucuase it does not know about this change. AAAHHHHHH............ I guess I will just set it manually:dunno:

If you have XP or Vista, visit Windows Update for a patch to fix this.

If you have Win2k or older, there are utilities that can fix this for you. I'll try to find a link...

Set your clocks to UTC and don't worry about it :)

No need to change here! Yet another reason to love AZ

Link for XP update. However if you have automatic updates enabled (like I & most XP users do) it will have likely already installed the patch.

Interesting, contrary to my earlier understanding the same changes will take effect in Canada. But Mexico has declined to adopt the changes, at least for now and in most areas.

Last edited:
No need to change here! Yet another reason to love AZ

That and the following distinction that Lake Havasu has:

From the Simpson;
Homer displays a video entitled “Homer Gone Wild.” He also says that they will never let him back to Lake Havasu because of how wild he got. :eek:

I love DST! Yay! When does it end this year?

DST SUXXXX!!!! Because of the changes, I have to work next weekend bringing up 200+ databases after reboots of 50+ servers because of the new dates for DST ...

DST SUXXXX!!!! Because of the changes, I have to work next weekend bringing up 200+ databases after reboots of 50+ servers because of the new dates for DST ...

Why is this stuff not set to UTC?

More important, why does it matter? Servers get a timezone but time should be stored in databases in UTC and converted. :)

I run all servers UTC. All times stored in the databases for the application use server time also so they are UTC also. Daylight savings will cause all kinds of on servers as log files get screwed up. Perhaps it's a Windows Administrator thing to set to a timezone. But in the Linux/Unix world I've never seen one that is not UTC.

Last edited:
nope - Oracle references system time for current time - you can store a timestamp, but sysdate comes directly from the host.

All the servers require a DST patch and a reboot - Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, Linux...

We do use UTC for some of the databases, but local time for a lot of the others.

If you have XP or Vista, visit Windows Update for a patch to fix this.

If you have Win2k or older, there are utilities that can fix this for you. I'll try to find a link...

I noticed that existing recurring meetings in Outlook/Exchange don't show at the right time in the calendar during Y3-2007, no matter how many patches were installed...After I warned my team I reported it , and desktop support was fully ready to say only I had the problem, we got an an email that no fix tested works satisfactorily so we need to put the correct time in the meeting notice and you can only do that if it's you organizing the meeting. :hairraise:

Gonna be a lot of conflicting meetings set up and no shows those first few weeks of March. :goofy:

nope - Oracle references system time for current time - you can store a timestamp, but sysdate comes directly from the host.

System Time = UTC and no more problem. You also don't *have* to reboot the server on Linux boxes although it does simplify things. I suspect Unix is the same but I don't know for sure. Otherwise you'll have to reboot each service that could be effected by the time change.

Last edited:
Our SAs say reboot required for these patches, so that's what we're gonna do. I agree that system time = UTC would solve a lot of issues, but ain't gonna happen here - these kinds of decisions require a consensus of suits from Denver, Boston, London and Tel Aviv ... hence, nothing changes quickly here.

System Time = UTC and no more problem.
This is true, but only when you're setting the systems up from scratch. Trying to convert from non UTC to UTC can be nightmarish.

The whole thing reminds me of a bad Cher song....

I run all servers UTC. All times stored in the databases for the application use server time also so they are UTC also. Daylight savings will cause all kinds of on servers as log files get screwed up. Perhaps it's a Windows Administrator thing to set to a timezone. But in the Linux/Unix world I've never seen one that is not UTC.

I don't live in UTC!:mad:

I don't live in UTC!:mad:

No but you are most likely serving users that live in multiple time zones. You also *really* do not want your time to change an hour back on a server. Now you'll have files with edit times in the future which causes some applications to freak out. Not only that you'll have discrepancies in your log files and won't really know what time something took place because of how it'll jump back.

In other words. It jacks everything up.

Back