Daylight Savings Time is the Devil

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
ugh - I came to work last night at 8:30pm. At 9:30, I was reminded that it was daylight savings night. Now its 6:51am, but my body thinks its 7:51. I just worked overtime and my body feels it.

We need to all be like Arizona, or something. Hell, lets just all follow zulu. There's no need for this kind of torture.

ugh

NickDBrennan said:
We need to all be like Arizona, or something.

ugh

while your at it, we should all be flying mooneys too.

Just move to Indiana, Nick. Except that you may find that your side of the street is an hour off from the other side.

Whazzat? Not worth it? ;)

NickDBrennan said:
ugh - I came to work last night at 8:30pm. At 9:30, I was reminded that it was daylight savings night. Now its 6:51am, but my body thinks its 7:51.

That's odd. My computer and VCR didn't change times automatically like they usually do when the time changes. I just verified that the date and DST change box is set appropriately on both. Oh well.

NickDBrennan said:
I just worked overtime and my body feels it.

Do they actually pay you overtime for that? I mean you came in and left at the same clock time that you usually do so why should they pay you for it? :rolleyes: (Don't think for an instant that some greedy employers won't do that because they will)

NickDBrennan said:
We need to all be like Arizona, or something. Hell, lets just all follow zulu.

Agreed. DST is an outdated concept in the 24/7/365+ society.

Last edited:
fgcason said:
Do they actually pay you overtime for that? I mean you came in and left at the same clock time that you usually do so why should they pay you for it? :rolleyes: (Don't think for an instant that some greedy employers won't do that because they will)...
No, they sure don't! When I was still a patrol officer, working 12 hour 7-7 shifts, it seemed like every year I was working the night shift the weekend that DST switched to EST, dang it. Man, was I tired. And those day shift guys were all happy and well-rested. grrrr.

fgcason said:
That's odd. My computer and VCR didn't change times automatically like they usually do when the time changes. I just verified that the date and DST change box is set appropriately on both. Oh well.

Do they actually pay you overtime for that? I mean you came in and left at the same clock time that you usually do so why should they pay you for it? :rolleyes: (Don't think for an instant that some greedy employers won't do that because they will)

Agreed. DST is an outdated concept in the 24/7/365+ society.

For once, Comcast didn't let me down. I do get paid an hour of overtime (the state of New Mexico requires it, otherwise I'll bet they'd screw me out of it).

New Mexico says that we are paid for every hour we work, not based on start and end times.

NickDBrennan said:
New Mexico says that we are paid for every hour we work, not based on start and end times.
Clarification: you're paid for every hour you're THERE and PRETEND to be working. We know how this really works, Nick. ;)

NickDBrennan said:
For once, Comcast didn't let me down. I do get paid an hour of overtime (the state of New Mexico requires it, otherwise I'll bet they'd screw me out of it).
Ohh, stop. You'd get it back in another 6 months from now. Unless, of course the state decided to opt out of DST before next April. In that case you could say you were the victim of a conspiricy.

Steve said:
Be glad you're not riding Amtrak at 2am when the time changes.They stop the trains for an hour wherever they are so they don't arrive "early".In the spring they just arrive late...
wouldn't be so bad if you're in a sleeper - I really love sleeping cars on trains. Honestly? Even better way to travel than airplanes! :hairraise: (ow! ow! hey! stop throwing stuff!! Ow! no hitting!!!)

Richard said:
Ohh, stop. You'd get it back in another 6 months from now. Unless, of course the state decided to opt out of DST before next April. In that case you could say you were the victim of a conspiricy.

Ahh - sort of. Comcast has decreed that all employees (even hourly) must have at least 40 hours each week. So we get an hour of overtime here, but when the clocks change again, I either have to make up and hour or I have to use an hour of vacation to get to 40 hours.

Stupid Comcast. Its NOT Comcastic!

NickDBrennan said:
Ahh - sort of. Comcast has decreed that all employees (even hourly) must have at least 40 hours each week. So we get an hour of overtime here, but when the clocks change again, I either have to make up and hour or I have to use an hour of vacation to get to 40 hours.

Stupid Comcast. Its NOT Comcastic!
You could always file a work comp case and go out on disability after tripping over the extra hour laying around.:)

Just for you, Nick.:)

Excuses for missing work:

I set half the clocks in my house ahead one hour and the other half back one hour on Saturday and spent 18 hours in some kind of space/time continuim loop, reliving Sunday (right up to the explosion), I was able to exit the loop only by reversing polarity of the power source exactly e*log (pi) clocks in the house while simultaneously using my body as a ground for the microwave. Accordingly, I will be late, or early.

I am converting my calendar from Julian to Gregorian.

I've used up all my sick days so I'm calling in dead.

Richard said:
Just for you, Nick.:)

Excuses for missing work:

I set half the clocks in my house ahead one hour and the other half back one hour on Saturday and spent 18 hours in some kind of space/time continuim loop, reliving Sunday (right up to the explosion), I was able to exit the loop only by reversing polarity of the power source exactly e*log (pi) clocks in the house while simultaneously using my body as a ground for the microwave. Accordingly, I will be late, or early.

I am converting my calendar from Julian to Gregorian.

I've used up all my sick days so I'm calling in dead.

LOL - very nice

Daylight Savings Time is the Devil--- I agree, and I'm gonna rant about it.

I'm a vampire, a musician. I "work" nights, and every year at this time, I lose an hour of daylight. I go to bed at 3 or 4 am, and wake up between 10 and noon. There have been a few super late nights when I get home a 6am, and sleep all the way thru the day right back into night. Who exactly are we saving the daylight for? Most people with normal schedules would see the same amount of daylight---granted, the sun would rise later (I don't know what time, I haven't been up before 8am in about 15 years), but they'd still get the daylight at 5:30..
So what's the deal? Let's get rid of it. For me.
Thanks.
DW

deafsound said:
Daylight Savings Time is the Devil--- I agree, and I'm gonna rant about it.

I'm a vampire, a musician. I "work" nights, and every year at this time, I lose an hour of daylight. I go to bed at 3 or 4 am, and wake up between 10 and noon. There have been a few super late nights when I get home a 6am, and sleep all the way thru the day right back into night. Who exactly are we saving the daylight for? Most people with normal schedules would see the same amount of daylight---granted, the sun would rise later (I don't know what time, I haven't been up before 8am in about 15 years), but they'd still get the daylight at 5:30..
So what's the deal? Let's get rid of it. For me.
Thanks.
DW
For the children.......

I too am a night owl. I like the quiet of the morning, the sunrise and all but it just comes so early.

Richard said:
For the children.......

I too am a night owl. I like the quiet of the morning, the sunrise and all but it just comes so early.

Many years ago they did do away with it, but soon reinstated it
-for the children-
who were killed or injured because of inattentive automobile drivers the darkness in the morning while the kids were going to school.

Dave Krall CFII said:
-for the children-
who were killed or injured because of inattentive automobile drivers the darkness in the morning while the kids were going to school.
You're making me feel guilty. I guess starting school an hour later wouldn't appeal to many people? I would've loved it.

Dave Krall CFII said:
-for the children-

It was Benjamin Franklin, who in 1784 while living in Paris, wrote an essay titled "An Economical Project for Diminishing the Cost of Light". Despite a possible comic intent, Franklin suggested Parisians could start their days earlier and save money by burning fewer candles at night.
That is exactly what we do when we "spring forward" each April, setting our clocks ahead one hour to effectively move an hour of daylight into the evening. The simple trick saves on energy and gives us longer evenings to enjoy.
A U.S. Department of Transportation poll showed Americans generally liked daylight-savings Time because "there is more light in the evenings / can do more in the evenings." Another study, also revealed the time shift cuts the entire country's electricity usage for lighting and appliances. The country saves about one percent in electricity each day on daylight-savings Time, a small but cumulatively significant amount.
This factor influenced adoption of a new daylight-savings time regime under the Energy Policy Act of 2005 signed into law by President Bush on August 25.
Starting in 2007, daylight-savings-time will be extended by a month, starting on the second Sunday of March and ending on the first Sunday of November at 2 a.m.., a move that is expected to save 100,000 barrels of oil a day by the legislation's supporters.
Originally instituted during World War I by the United States in 1918, it proved so unpopular that it was repealed over President Wilson's veto in 1919.
From February 1942 through September 1945, "War Time" was observed in America but later left to local option whether any clock shifting would occur. It was not until the passage of the Uniform Time Act of 1966, that daylight-savings Time was again adopted, giving state's the option to opt out.
Farmers objected to the practice, saying it would have a negative affect on livestock and airlines protested based on the disruptions to their fight schedules.
Indiana was one of the few states that opted out of observance until the General Assembly, at the urging of Gov. Mitch Daniels, adopted the practice state wide starting in 2006. Daniels said it was a necessary step for Indiana to remain competitive in the modern, mobile economy.
Some technology observers are cautioning programmers that they will once again need to check software code for potential problems in handling calendar adjustments. The extended time shift in 2007 could affect applications and gadgets programmed according to the schedule the U.S. has kept for decades.

Dave Krall CFII said:
-for the children-

ONE! ONE little brat gets whacked by a drunk who would have ran over him in the daylight as well, I liked year round DST.

Henning said:
ONE! ONE little brat gets whacked by a drunk who would have ran over him in the daylight as well, I liked year round DST.

Didn't the Energy Bill extend DST for about a month berfore and after the typcial time span?

Henning said:

Quite true. I was hoping someone else would say it for me.
Full time DST for me thanks, in fact, I'd like to see the total daylight hours increased permanently, year round but God has not answered me.

Anthony said:
Didn't the Energy Bill extend DST for about a month berfore and after the typcial time span?

IIRC in 1973/4 we didn't go back to StdT. I was rather young then so I may be off by a year.

Henning said:
IIRC in 1973/4 we didn't go back to StdT. I was rather young then so I may be off by a year.
1973 Henning, good memory. As I remember, school kids walking in the morning darnkness was the hot issue back then. Interesting is that the time change occurs a couple days before Halloween when many kids are....walking the streets in the dark. I'll wager more kids die on the night of Oct 31 than making the bus in the morning.

Back