day trip from chicago?

scit106

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
scit106
Myself and my non-pilot friend were trying to figure out somewhere that would be a good trip for a whole day. Some place thats ~2 hrs away in either an archer or 182, that has stuff walking distance from the airport that a non pilot might be interested in would be awesome. Anyone have a suggestion?

Rantoul for the museum!!

They need some $$$ too. Because of the budget issues in Illinois Gov Blago canceled the museum's $35,000 grant this year and they may have to close.

You can land an park just a few feet form the doors and it is a great museum to visit.

Another great day trip is over to Dayton for the Air Force museum. I think it is about a 3 hour flight.

You can also head to St. Louis very easily and get the only Jack in the box east of the Mississippi in Colinsville. This is a great run to get a taco fix!! YUM!

Myself and my non-pilot friend were trying to figure out somewhere that would be a good trip for a whole day. Some place thats ~2 hrs away in either an archer or 182, that has stuff walking distance from the airport that a non pilot might be interested in would be awesome. Anyone have a suggestion?

You can get from the Minneapolis airport to the Mall of America by light rail. There is a Signature FBO at MSP but I don't know what they'd charge to parking on their ramp for a few hours.

When the weather warms up a bit, Mackinac Island at the top of Michigan's lower peninsula has something for most folks.

I was going to mention Mackinac Island but Lance beat me to it. Plus it's a little more than two hours, and I know you're planning to go there with us in September if you're not away at school.

How about the Air Zoo in Kalamazoo (http://www.airzoo.org/)? They have an entrance right on the ramp.

For something totally non-aviation, there's the Kohler Spa (http://www.destinationkohler.com/index.html), only 5 miles from Sheboygan Wisconsin. I'm sure you could get them to run you over. Plus Sheboygan has a great restaurant themselves.

There's also Sandusky, OH, if you're into roller coasters or water parks. Land at KSKY and they'll shuttle you to the Cedar Point amusement park (http://www.cedarpoint.com/) and back for about $25, according to comments on airnav.

Well, we're missing something essential... What does your non-pilot friend like to do? If your friend isn't into aviation, taking them to an aviation museum might not give them the bug...

Golf, skiing, shopping, whatever... Let us know what, we'll let you know where. :yes:

Well, we're missing something essential... What does your non-pilot friend like to do? If your friend isn't into aviation, taking them to an aviation museum might not give them the bug...

Golf, skiing, shopping, whatever... Let us know what, we'll let you know where. :yes:
Kent, I agree, but, in my defense 2/3 of my suggestions were non-aviation! :yes::D

I'm pretty sure he'll do whatever. We have talked about a trip to st louis - where would be the best place to land to get some jack in the box tacos? I could definitely go for a few dozen of those.

Minneapolis and Kohler also added to the list. I think Rantoul will be a personal trip. I did try to get down there once, but the ramp was closed? i feel like i was missing something there...

thanks for the ideas! (and if anyone wants to meet at one of those airports for lunch or something, that would be cool too. I'll keep y'all posted).

Hmmmn. Nonpilot friend? Girlfriend? That changes destination choices a lot....

I'm pretty sure he'll do whatever.

Hmmmn. Nonpilot friend? Girlfriend? That changes destination choices a lot....
Non-pilot friend, but not girlfriend. He didn't say he was looking for anything romantic, but I threw in Kohler because it can fit quite a few bills. I haven't been there yet, though, so any reviews would be welcome!

Non-pilot friend, but not girlfriend. He didn't say he was looking for anything romantic, but I threw in Kohler because it can fit quite a few bills. I haven't been there yet, though, so any reviews would be welcome!

You saying that Jack in the Box isn't romantic?

C'mon, a couple of tacos, a jumbo jack, some antenna balls and a mocha shake to share. What could be more romantic than that!??:D:D:D:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

hey, if I can find a girl that flies with me and thinks a trip to jack in the box is an acceptable date, I am set for life!
(and I am keeping Kohler in mind as a future destination in case I do have someone to impress, rather than for a flight with a friend)

Back