Day flights in and out of OSH

ahkahn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
92E
Hey everyone,

So it looks like all of the hotels have already booked up. That's alright with me, though, because I'm around an hour flight to OSH. My wife isn't big on camping because she, and I for that matter, both like our showers... unless the camping is more Troop Beverly Hills and not so much Woodstock.

Is it difficult/practical to "commute" daily to and from Osh Kosh?
Are the planes stacked in so you cannot pull out?
Do they charge for plane parking?
Are there hours of airport closure?

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

So it looks like all of the hotels have already booked up. That's alright with me, though, because I'm around an hour flight to OSH. My wife isn't big on camping because she, and I for that matter, both like our showers... unless the camping is more Troop Beverly Hills and not so much Woodstock.

Thanks!

My answer is that a daily commute in/out would be a real PITA.

It can be done, but you need to get there first thing in the AM to miss the big traffic. Also, the airport closes for several hours each day for the show and depending on where you fall in line to depart, it can take a while.
Beyond that, the on-field parking sometimes fills up and weather (and accidents) impact arrivals and departures.

The way they park aircraft, you are not blocked in.

Hey everyone,

Thanks!

Yes
No
No
Yes, the field is NOTAM'd closed every day for hours during the airshow and at night. Specific are in the NOTAM:
https://www.eaa.org/~/media/files/airventure/flyingin/2015-notam.pdf

Not a problem, lots of people do it. Field opens at 8am, but you can cross Ripon at 7:30 or so and they welcome you with open arms. There is a big rush after the air show, and the field closes down at 8 PM.

Parking / taxing is never an issue early or when leaving.

The camping has modern showers and charging stations for electronics. A fun party atmosphere makes camping one of the best ways to do OSH.

READ, UNDERSTAND, and FOLLOW THE NOTAM.

People do commute in and out. The first day, you can even leave your tie downs in place and come back to the same spot.

You should make arrangements for getting STUCK at the field: either throw minimal camping gear in the plane or arrange for someone to drive down to retrieve you. It's possible that you will get caught on the ground (especially if you want to depart after the airshow). For instance, we had the field shutdown (or at least a substantial part of it) when one-eyed jack crashed his jet into the taxiway. The field has been shutdown for other incidents over the year as well (I ended up leaving my plane in Neenah one time as a result). As pointed out, the field closes during the airshow and promptly at 8PM. I've seen guys taxiing out late turned around by ATC. The flight line guys won't authorize you to start after the closing time.

People do commute in and out. The first day, you can even leave your tie downs in place and come back to the same spot.

You should make arrangements for getting STUCK at the field: either throw minimal camping gear in the plane or arrange for someone to drive down to retrieve you. It's possible that you will get caught on the ground (especially if you want to depart after the airshow). For instance, we had the field shutdown (or at least a substantial part of it) when one-eyed jack crashed his jet into the taxiway. The field has been shutdown for other incidents over the year as well (I ended up leaving my plane in Neenah one time as a result). As pointed out, the field closes during the airshow and promptly at 8PM. I've seen guys taxiing out late turned around by ATC. The flight line guys won't authorize you to start after the closing time.

Excellent advice. :yes:

OSHKOSH NOTAM 2015 available for download this AM

Thanks guys. Just noticed they posted the NOTAM yesterday. I read it... very interesting!

Geico- How "modern" are the showers? Are we still talking flip-flops and bathing suit?

Is there an advantage to VFR vs. IFR? Would one be easier in/out than the other?

-Andrew

The showers depend on where you are. There are essentially three levels of showers:

The traditional oshkosh, concrete floor, shower curtained, sink sprayer showers.
The WMI shower trailer units
The new shower buildings (one in North 40, one in Scholler).

I would bring your shower shoes in any case though I don't bother with a bathing suit. I've been known to fly out to one of the neighboring airports that has a shower to wash my hair (there are at least three in the area).

VFR is MUCH easier. IFR requires a reservation to arrive. IFR departure clearances are tedious as well. I've arrived IFR exactly once over the years. It wasn't a big thing, but VFR is definitely easier. If the field is VFR when you arrive, you're just going to be dumped out on final for 27 to merge with all the guys "keeping their downwind inside the blue water tower."

(What FlyingRon said)

You need a backup/contingency plan if you can't get out. You are not in control once on the field.

Yes, all kind of options. I often fly in and out the same day. I like to cross RIPON just after 0700. As the show winds down I make my way towards the plane. Flying out the same day does dampen 'happy hour'.

You could also consider Fond Du Lac, or another nearby airport with transportation. Another biggie is the weather, one could get trapped for a while. I stay flexible, do the two hour drive if the weather is marginal.

Stay in either Appleton,or Green Bay and take the bus to the show. You can even fly into either airport for the day without any hassle.

Personally, I've never tried leaving and coming back, for two reasons:

1. The arrival can be stressful. Usually not, but you just don't know.
2. Getting in and out of my campsite in the North 40 is always un-fun.

If you can get yourself parked on the hard surface somewhere -- anywhere -- it should be pretty easy. If you get tied down in the grass somewhere -- and this depends entirely on where that happens -- it could be easy or a real PIA getting in and out.

For me, that's too much randomness. I would suck it up and camp -- that's the only way to truly experience Oshkosh. YMMV.

If you're not camped around your aircraft, it's a lot easier to get it in and out. I never bothered to move my when I tented right at the plane. Now that I camp in a different location, I've been known to take the plane out. The first time we had to make an emergency mission when a friend broke his tailwheel spring at a nearby grass strip. The mechanic and his tools went in his Navion and I flew mine out to retrieve the guys passengers who were getting a bit bored waiting for things to be fixed.

Once I realized that it's no big thing, I frequently hop rides (mostly for the volunteers) a few times a week. I depart climb up to about 4000 come back over the field for a quick view and then either fly the RIPON or Warbird arrival back in (depending on who I'm flying with).

Back