Day 9 of Our Airport Closure (LONG rant)

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
As some of you know, our airport (Iowa City Municipal -- KIOW) is entirely shut down for the month of August during runway reconstruction. This incredibly stupid situation has resulted from a long-series of lame-brained decisions, stretching back more than a decade.

Please relax and bear with me while I rant for a while. I need to get this off my chest.

Back in 1996, our airport commissioners knew that the WWII-era runway/taxiway pavement was deteriorating. Their Master Plan therefore included runway and taxiway resurfacing. The plan also included the ultimate closure of our North/South Rwy 18/36. Formerly the main runway (back in the airline days), it took off right over the growing city. The FAA stated that a GA airport our size didn't need three runways, and would no longer provide federal funding to support that runway.

However, it was written that Rwy 18/36 should not close before the other two runways were repaved, since to do so would mean closing the airport 100% while the intersection of the other two runways was repaved.

Nothing happened. We were saddled with a long-term, do-nothing (full-time) airport manager -- a throw-back to the airline days -- a long-term FBO owner who had made many enemies in City Hall, and a city council that was only interested in the land value of the airport. The only thing saving our airport was the Airport Commission structure itself, an independent governing body made up of volunteers whose charter was to do whatever was best for the airport -- period.

With this independent governing body in the way, the city was powerless to close the airport -- thankfully. However, there was a loophole -- the city council appointed all the commissioners to the airport commission.

Thus began a long effort to appoint lackeys to the commission who would do the council's bidding. Non-pilots became the norm for appointees from that point onward. (And remains so today.)

Fast forward to 2001. Mary and I were hangared in the oldest row of T-hangars on the airport. The asphalt taxiways leading from the WWII-era runways to our hangar were deteriorated to the point where taxiing was becoming dangerous. The pavement was breaking down into large rocks and loose gravel, and the asphalt had broken up into thousands of little "islands", which -- after a rainstorm -- would allow water to bubble up when you stood on them.

Still nothing was being done. The airport was slowly being choked to death by not-so-benign neglect.

So, we decided to take matters into our own hands. In 2002 I formed the "Friends of Iowa City Airport" (FOICA), an airport users's group. Primarily an email group, it quickly grew to over 300 members. We started clamoring for regular maintenance, and for the airport to follow it's own master plan.

By now, the city council had completed their task of planting stool pidgeons on the commission. FOICA members started attending the monthly meetings -- something NO ONE had ever done before, apparently -- and I began publishing unofficial meeting minutes to the FOICA email group. This shed an uncomfortably bright light on what was formerly an entirely private function.

After a few months, much to my amazement, we discovered that the airport commission was seriously discussing disbanding itself! The commission that had been wisely set up after WWII for the sole purpose of protecting the airport from future generations of money-grubbing politicians was actually considering political suicide!

Knowing that this was the first step toward seizure by the city council -- and ultimate closure -- FOICA sprang into action. We packed commission meetings with airport supporters, and several commission members resigned. The mayor, local media, and city manager attended these formerly sleepy meetings, and we made our voices heard.

At last the head stool pidgeon brought the issue to a vote. A motion to dissolve the airport commission was put on the table, and we all held our collective breath. By this point there were only three commissioners left -- the other three had resigned -- and the vote came down to two votes opposed, to one in favor. We had won!

The stool pidgeon immediately resigned after the meeting.

Still, we now had just TWO commissioners, and the city council had to appoint the other four. Over the next few months they approved four new commissioners, only one of whom was a pilot. But what a choice he turned out to be!

This guy was a real spark plug, well connected in the University of Iowa, well-liked, and very high energy. Most importantly, he was a new pilot himself -- something the city council apparently didn't know about him. He started asking the obvious questions -- why aren't we applying for federal grants? Why are our runways falling apart? All eyes turned to our long-term, full-time airport manager -- who had nothing to say.

Amazingly, because past, do-nothing commissions had not given him any direction, he had done precisely what any good gummint bureacrat does -- NOTHING. He had simply laid low, collected his $80K annual salary (plus bennies), and done nothing for the airport.

Thankfully, this spark plug on the commission started looking at airport operations and management, and realized that things were simply not getting done, and that our airport manager was getting paid huge money for doing absolutely nothing. In the end, the commission actually FIRED the airport manager -- which (to my knowledge) is simply unprecedented in gummint. (Of course, the whole thing ended up in court. But the decision stood up.)

Then, the commission, under the guidance of this spark plug, began looking at other ways to run the airport. Without airline service there was no longer any need for a full-time airport manager -- but the city still had memories of the now-retired old FBO owner (who had run the place like his own fiefdom) -- so rather than farming out the operation to their new FBO (as so many airports do) they decided to retain control by hiring a part-time manager.

Where to find such a person? Again, our well-connected spark plug stepped in, and managed to obtain interns from the University of Dubuque's aviation management program. Thus, we were able to get a couple of part-time, bright and highly energetic students, who went after grants with a vengeance while getting on-the-job training, at an extremely low cost. Everything was right with the world!

Soon, the grants started coming our way. First, the taxiways were repaved -- at last! Finally we could stop sandblasting our plane every time we flew. Then grants for hangar rehab, ramp reconstruction, and --ultimately -- runway repaving were applied for and received.

But trouble was brewing. Our spark plug accepted a job offer at another university far from Iowa City, and resigned from the commission. With no one to coordinate the intern program, the commissioners voted to hire one of the interns to run the airport, losing the constant influx of enthusiasm and new ideas. (And, as importantly, the low cost.) And the city council was still quite effective at packing the commission with airport-neutral (at best) commissioners.

Without the spark plug to keep the ship facing into the wind, bad things began to happen again.

In 2006, the commission chair -- a city council plant from the get-go -- decided that it was time to close our North/South runway, even though the Airport Master Plan dictated that this runway remain open until the other runways had been repaved. This inexplicable decision was made with such speed that there were students and instructors in the pattern when it happened. No notice was given, no public discussion took place beforehand. (It has since been widely assumed that someone on the city council had been approached by a developer who wanted to build off the North end of the airport -- but no proof of that has ever been produced.)

This created quite an uproar in the pilot community, as you might expect. But the decision was irreversible -- the stoolie was backed by our city council -- and was made permanent by the chairperson's decision to use grant money to move our AWOS INTO THE MIDDLE of the closed runway! The purported reason for this incredible decision was that the AWOS needed to be more centrally located on the airport, but the real reason was obvious.

Ironically, because an AWOS cannot be located on concrete (it warps the temperature readings) the commission spent tens of thousands of dollars digging up 60' x 100' of the old runway, so that the AWOS could be placed on grass. And, so that the old runway could never be reopened by future commissions.

Then, our commission voted to tear down our historic Boeing/United hangar. This hangar, built in 1930, was one of just seven original Boeing-built airmail hangars left in America. FOICA fought to save the old hangar for five years, but ultimate lost. Even though moving the hangar would have only cost $30K, and refurbishing it only $150K, the hangar was torn down late last year.

Incredibly, in the same meeting that we lost the battle, the commission -- finding itself short of large hangar space -- voted to apply for a $750K grant to build a similar-sized hangar. We were incredulous.

In 2006 grant money for the long-planned (like, since WWII) extension of Rwy 25 was received. It took over a year to add 500 feet of concrete (typical gummint program, eh?), but by 2008 we at last we had the magic 5000' feet of runway, so crucial for biz jet insurance. The other end of that runway was slated for repaving this year, which would leave us with Rwy 12/30 to use.

Enter the "Great Recession" and our gummint's "Spendulus" package. Suddenly, ObamaBux were flowing like water, and it became obvious that -- if we could prove we were "shovel-ready" -- Iowa City could get BOTH runways repaved this year. Cool! (Hey, if you're gonna spend your grand-kids' money, it may as well be on something permanent like airport infrastructure...)

So, the airport manager and commission applied for -- and received -- the extra federal grants. Let the bulldozers roll!

Whoops -- guess what? With rwy 18/36 closed, and both remaining runways torn up, the airport must be shut down entirely. No problem -- just reopen the old runway!

Crap, that AWOS is in the way. No problem, the original runway was 120' wide, still leaving 60' of usable runway. Oops, in the meantime, our airport commission had (believe it or not) leased that part of the airport to a seed company that uses that end of the airport for it's experimental corn crops! And guess what -- they use the old runway to run their tour-buses full of farmers past the immaculately-kept fields of genetically modified corn, apparently in an effort to get them to buy their seed.

I am NOT making this up. We couldn't reopen that runway because our airport commision had leased it to farmers who are driving air-conditioned tour busses up and down it.

Okay, well, no problem -- the remaining part of Rwy 25 (on the East side of the runway intersection) is still 2500' long. That portion of the runway can remain open throughout construction, and NOTAM'd "use at own risk". Airports across the country do this every day, and heck, lots of airport runways are SHORTER than 2500' -- right?

Nope. In a unanimous decision, our current airport commission voted to close the airport for the month of September, because using that "short" a runway would be "dangerous" and they didn't want the liability if there was an incident.

Aside from the absurdity of calling a 2500' runway "short", you may have noticed that I said "the month of September". Last month, with just 20 days notice, the commission announced that the airport closure had been moved up a full month, to August! Thankfully we were able to convince them to leave the airport open until August 3rd -- the day after Oshkosh Airventure ended -- or pilots attending OSH would not have been able to come home!

Apparently the powers that be in the University had heard about the plan to close in September, and thown a fit. It seems that too many donating alumni fly in for Hawkeye home football games, you see, and we wouldn't want to torque THEM off.

So, everyone on the airport was left scrambling. Guys who had arranged for hangar space at other nearby airports for September were screwed. Both of my planes are now parked outside on the ramp in nearby Washington, Iowa (AWG), because hangar space wasn't available anywhere on such short notice.

And, in a final "coup de grace", the airport commission decided not to grant any rent relief to ANY airport tenants -- including our FBO! We must all pay for the month of August, even though the airport is entirely shut down. (And let's not even contemplate what will happen if we get bad weather, and the construction schedule is delayed...)

This has been a train wreck for everyone concerned, of course. Our fly-in business at the hotel has been decimated. Normally we pick up quite a bit of post-OSH fly-in guests, but that's all gone elsewhere now. Just what we needed in a year when travel is already down 25%. And, of course, our poor FBO is entirely shut down. Their pilots are mowing, moved to other airports, or unemployed. According to one of their staff members, the maintenance shop had about 11 days of work lined up in advance, after which they would be shutting down.

So, here's where we sit -- thanks for listening. I can't fly without driving 1.5 hours (round trip), my planes are parked outside in the often-brutal Iowa summer weather, and my business has been crippled -- all because of incredibly stupid government decisions that were made in the face of so many obviously better choices. I know there's nothing to be done now, but when I start to hyperventilate I just try to remember how nice it will be when the runways are done. That'll be small consolation if we and our FBO don't survive the project -- but it's the best we can do...

:frown2:

Last edited:
Sounds like the commission could use an energetic, enthusiastic new member. Someone from the nearby business community - hospitality maybe.

Sounds like someone needs to become a lead farmer!

Sounds awful Jay. Sorry to hear. I hereby publicly vow to fly in one of these days just to give YOU some business, since it sounds like you deserve it.

Sounds like the commission could use an energetic, enthusiastic new member. Someone from the nearby business community - hospitality maybe.

I -- and many like me -- have applied for appointment to the airport commission. I've even been ASKED to apply as recently as 2004.

As with so many things in government, however, those appointments are made loooong before anyone outside of the "inner circle" applies. Others are asked to apply so as to give the impression of fairness.

That's actually one of the downsides of us shining a bright light on the monthly commission meetings. I'm sure when they were more private affairs, actual decisions and debate occurred at them. Now, "debate" is mostly staged, with any real decisions (such as the one to suddenly close Rwy 18/36) having been made beforehand, in private.

Okay, I've parsed this statement every which way -- and it still makes no sense to me.

What're you trying to say?

It's a reference to the movie Tropic Thunder. Robert Downey Jr's character mows down a bunch of members of a drug ring with a machine gun and declares "I'm a lead farmer ****** ******!!!!"

Sounds like just the solution for your airport commissioners and city council members that appoint them.

It's a reference to the movie Tropic Thunder. Robert Downey Jr's character mows down a bunch of members of a drug ring with a machine gun and declares "I'm a lead farmer ****** ******!!!!"

Sounds like just the solution for your airport commissioners and city council members that appoint them.

Sweet! I'm all in.

In fact, Mary and I are off to the gun club's range right now, for some target practice...

:)

Lame! Sorry to hear a report like that.

Sounds somewhat similar to another local airport commission meeting I went to on a whim: 5-6 committee members and about 10-12 citizens in the room. Discussion about the FBO contract came up. There were two FBO's on field, but only one was the 'official' city FBO that managed fuel, ramp space, hangars, etc. The other simply rented planes and had a mx shop. The 'official' FBO wasn't even a local group - they were managed from afar - while the 'other' FBO was family owned by long-time tenants of the airport.

When discussion came up about renewing the 5-year FBO lease, one of the committee members (that happened to own the 'official' FBO) said that they should simply auto-renew the lease without taking bids. One of the 'citizens' (the wife of the 'official' FBO owner) agreed. The rest of the commission just sat there like idiots stumbling over their gums afraid to stand up to the 'official' FBO people. I finally stood up and said "There is a reason the lease only runs 5 years - to keep the lease holder honest. Either take bids every 5 years, or make it a 20-year lease and trust your judgement for that long, but this auto-renew of short-term lease stuff is crap!"

Everyone looked shocked that someone in the audience actually had something to say. Then the 'official' owner said "Well, there isn't anyone that could afford to run the FBO like we do - insurance and all.. Besides, nobody would be interested in bidding." Luckily, the 'other' FBO owner was there and she spoke up and said "Uhh, we already have the insurance and we would be interested in bidding." I heard her say afterwards that she wasn't intending on bidding on it, but those other pepole ticked her off so bad in the meeting that she had to do it.

What ensued next was a grass-roots letter/email writing campaign to the mayor/commission that ended up with the previously 'official' FBO getting the boot and the locals being granted the 'official' FBO role. Since they have taken over, the hangars which were previously about 50-75% full have been booked with a waiting list constantly growing. 'Hangar bums' have started to show up and the overall 'feel' at the airport has improved.

I'm with Jay - if you're not happy about what's going on at your local airport, just attend the gummit meeting about it and you would be surpirsed at how much ONE voice can make a difference. You'll also be astonished at how major decisions are made at a whim.

Does the money from the lease to the seed company go toward running the airport? If not, it could a violation of FAA funding agreements.

Thanks for the thumbnail summary. Please post the details later.

As some of you know, our airport (Iowa City Municipal -- KIOW) is entirely shut down for the month of August during runway reconstruction. This incredibly stupid situation has resulted from a long-series of lame-brained decisions, stretching back more than a decade.

Please relax and bear with me while I rant for a while. I need to get this off my chest.

Back in 1996, our airport commissioners knew that the WWII-era runway/taxiway pavement was deteriorating. Their Master Plan therefore included runway and taxiway resurfacing. The plan also included the ultimate closure of our North/South Rwy 18/36. Formerly the main runway (back in the airline days), it took off right over the growing city. The FAA stated that a GA airport our size didn't need three runways, and would no longer provide federal funding to support that runway.

However, it was written that Rwy 18/36 should not close before the other two runways were repaved, since to do so would mean closing the airport 100% while the intersection of the other two runways was repaved.

Nothing happened. We were saddled with a long-term, do-nothing (full-time) airport manager -- a throw-back to the airline days -- a long-term FBO owner who had made many enemies in City Hall, and a city council that was only interested in the land value of the airport. The only thing saving our airport was the Airport Commission structure itself, an independent governing body made up of volunteers whose charter was to do whatever was best for the airport -- period.

With this independent governing body in the way, the city was powerless to close the airport -- thankfully. However, there was a loophole -- the city council appointed all the commissioners to the airport commission.

Thus began a long effort to appoint lackeys to the commission who would do the council's bidding. Non-pilots became the norm for appointees from that point onward. (And remains so today.)

Fast forward to 2001. Mary and I were hangared in the oldest row of T-hangars on the airport. The asphalt taxiways leading from the WWII-era runways to our hangar were deteriorated to the point where taxiing was becoming dangerous. The pavement was breaking down into large rocks and loose gravel, and the asphalt had broken up into thousands of little "islands", which -- after a rainstorm -- would allow water to bubble up when you stood on them.

Still nothing was being done. The airport was slowly being choked to death by not-so-benign neglect.

So, we decided to take matters into our own hands. In 2002 I formed the "Friends of Iowa City Airport" (FOICA), an airport users's group. Primarily an email group, it quickly grew to over 300 members. We started clamoring for regular maintenance, and for the airport to follow it's own master plan.

By now, the city council had completed their task of planting stool pidgeons on the commission. FOICA members started attending the monthly meetings -- something NO ONE had ever done before, apparently -- and I began publishing unofficial meeting minutes to the FOICA email group. This shed an uncomfortably bright light on what was formerly an entirely private function.

After a few months, much to my amazement, we discovered that the airport commission was seriously discussing disbanding itself! The commission that had been wisely set up after WWII for the sole purpose of protecting the airport from future generations of money-grubbing politicians was actually considering political suicide!

Knowing that this was the first step toward seizure by the city council -- and ultimate closure -- FOICA sprang into action. We packed commission meetings with airport supporters, and several commission members resigned. The mayor, local media, and city manager attended these formerly sleepy meetings, and we made our voices heard.

At last the head stool pidgeon brought the issue to a vote. A motion to dissolve the airport commission was put on the table, and we all held our collective breath. By this point there were only three commissioners left -- the other three had resigned -- and the vote came down to two votes opposed, to one in favor. We had won!

The stool pidgeon immediately resigned after the meeting.

Still, we now had just TWO commissioners, and the city council had to appoint the other four. Over the next few months they approved four new commissioners, only one of whom was a pilot. But what a choice he turned out to be!

This guy was a real spark plug, well connected in the University of Iowa, well-liked, and very high energy. Most importantly, he was a new pilot himself -- something the city council apparently didn't know about him. He started asking the obvious questions -- why aren't we applying for federal grants? Why are our runways falling apart? All eyes turned to our long-term, full-time airport manager -- who had nothing to say.

Amazingly, because past, do-nothing commissions had not given him any direction, he had done precisely what any good gummint bureacrat does -- NOTHING. He had simply laid low, collected his $80K annual salary (plus bennies), and done nothing for the airport.

Thankfully, this spark plug on the commission started looking at airport operations and management, and realized that things were simply not getting done, and that our airport manager was getting paid huge money for doing absolutely nothing. In the end, the commission actually FIRED the airport manager -- which (to my knowledge) is simply unprecedented in gummint. (Of course, the whole thing ended up in court. But the decision stood up.)

Then, the commission, under the guidance of this spark plug, began looking at other ways to run the airport. Without airline service there was no longer any need for a full-time airport manager -- but the city still had memories of the now-retired old FBO owner (who had run the place like his own fiefdom) -- so rather than farming out the operation to their new FBO (as so many airports do) they decided to retain control by hiring a part-time manager.

Where to find such a person? Again, our well-connected spark plug stepped in, and managed to obtain interns from the University of Dubuque's aviation management program. Thus, we were able to get a couple of part-time, bright and highly energetic students, who went after grants with a vengeance while getting on-the-job training, at an extremely low cost. Everything was right with the world!

Soon, the grants started coming our way. First, the taxiways were repaved -- at last! Finally we could stop sandblasting our plane every time we flew. Then grants for hangar rehab, ramp reconstruction, and --ultimately -- runway repaving were applied for and received.

But trouble was brewing. Our spark plug accepted a job offer at another university far from Iowa City, and resigned from the commission. With no one to coordinate the intern program, the commissioners voted to hire one of the interns to run the airport, losing the constant influx of enthusiasm and new ideas. (And, as importantly, the low cost.) And the city council was still quite effective at packing the commission with airport-neutral (at best) commissioners.

Without the spark plug to keep the ship facing into the wind, bad things began to happen again.

In 2006, the commission chair -- a city council plant from the get-go -- decided that it was time to close our North/South runway, even though the Airport Master Plan dictated that this runway remain open until the other runways had been repaved. This inexplicable decision was made with such speed that there were students and instructors in the pattern when it happened. No notice was given, no public discussion took place beforehand. (It has since been widely assumed that someone on the city council had been approached by a developer who wanted to build off the North end of the airport -- but no proof of that has ever been produced.)

This created quite an uproar in the pilot community, as you might expect. But the decision was irreversible -- the stoolie was backed by our city council -- and was made permanent by the chairperson's decision to use grant money to move our AWOS INTO THE MIDDLE of the closed runway! The purported reason for this incredible decision was that the AWOS needed to be more centrally located on the airport, but the real reason was obvious.

Ironically, because an AWOS cannot be located on concrete (it warps the temperature readings) the commission spent tens of thousands of dollars digging up 60' x 100' of the old runway, so that the AWOS could be placed on grass. And, so that the old runway could never be reopened by future commissions.

Then, our commission voted to tear down our historic Boeing/United hangar. This hangar, built in 1930, was one of just seven original Boeing-built airmail hangars left in America. FOICA fought to save the old hangar for five years, but ultimate lost. Even though moving the hangar would have only cost $30K, and refurbishing it only $150K, the hangar was torn down late last year.

Incredibly, in the same meeting that we lost the battle, the commission -- finding itself short of large hangar space -- voted to apply for a $750K grant to build a similar-sized hangar. We were incredulous.

In 2006 grant money for the long-planned (like, since WWII) extension of Rwy 25 was received. It took over a year to add 500 feet of concrete (typical gummint program, eh?), but by 2008 we at last we had the magic 5000' feet of runway, so crucial for biz jet insurance. The other end of that runway was slated for repaving this year, which would leave us with Rwy 12/30 to use.

Enter the "Great Recession" and our gummint's "Spendulus" package. Suddenly, ObamaBux were flowing like water, and it became obvious that -- if we could prove we were "shovel-ready" -- Iowa City could get BOTH runways repaved this year. Cool! (Hey, if you're gonna spend your grand-kids' money, it may as well be on something permanent like airport infrastructure...)

So, the airport manager and commission applied for -- and received -- the extra federal grants. Let the bulldozers roll!

Whoops -- guess what? With rwy 18/36 closed, and both remaining runways torn up, the airport must be shut down entirely. No problem -- just reopen the old runway!

Crap, that AWOS is in the way. No problem, the original runway was 120' wide, still leaving 60' of usable runway. Oops, in the meantime, our airport commission had (believe it or not) leased that part of the airport to a seed company that uses that end of the airport for it's experimental corn crops! And guess what -- they use the old runway to run their tour-buses full of farmers past the immaculately-kept fields of genetically modified corn, apparently in an effort to get them to buy their seed.

I am NOT making this up. We couldn't reopen that runway because our airport commision had leased it to farmers who are driving air-conditioned tour busses up and down it.

Okay, well, no problem -- the remaining part of Rwy 25 (on the East side of the runway intersection) is still 2500' long. That portion of the runway can remain open throughout construction, and NOTAM'd "use at own risk". Airports across the country do this every day, and heck, lots of airport runways are SHORTER than 2500' -- right?

Nope. In a unanimous decision, our current airport commission voted to close the airport for the month of September, because using that "short" a runway would be "dangerous" and they didn't want the liability if there was an incident.

Aside from the absurdity of calling a 2500' runway "short", you may have noticed that I said "the month of September". Last month, with just 20 days notice, the commission announced that the airport closure had been moved up a full month, to August! Thankfully we were able to convince them to leave the airport open until August 3rd -- the day after Oshkosh Airventure ended -- or pilots attending OSH would not have been able to come home!

Apparently the powers that be in the University had heard about the plan to close in September, and thown a fit. It seems that too many donating alumni fly in for Hawkeye home football games, you see, and we wouldn't want to torque THEM off.

So, everyone on the airport was left scrambling. Guys who had arranged for hangar space at other nearby airports for September were screwed. Both of my planes are now parked outside on the ramp in nearby Washington, Iowa (AWG), because hangar space wasn't available anywhere on such short notice.

And, in a final "coup de grace", the airport commission decided not to grant any rent relief to ANY airport tenants -- including our FBO! We must all pay for the month of August, even though the airport is entirely shut down. (And let's not even contemplate what will happen if we get bad weather, and the construction schedule is delayed...)

This has been a train wreck for everyone concerned, of course. Our fly-in business at the hotel has been decimated. Normally we pick up quite a bit of post-OSH fly-in guests, but that's all gone elsewhere now. Just what we needed in a year when travel is already down 25%. And, of course, our poor FBO is entirely shut down. Their pilots are mowing, moved to other airports, or unemployed. According to one of their staff members, the maintenance shop had about 11 days of work lined up in advance, after which they would be shutting down.

So, here's where we sit -- thanks for listening. I can't fly without driving 1.5 hours (round trip), my planes are parked outside in the often-brutal Iowa summer weather, and my business has been crippled -- all because of incredibly stupid government decisions that were made in the face of so many obviously better choices. I know there's nothing to be done now, but when I start to hyperventilate I just try to remember how nice it will be when the runways are done. That'll be small consolation if we and our FBO don't survive the project -- but it's the best we can do...

:frown2:

chris that sounds so familiar.

what the *$%& is the deal with college towns?

Lame! Sorry to hear a report like that.

Sounds somewhat similar to another local airport commission meeting I went to on a whim: 5-6 committee members and about 10-12 citizens in the room. Discussion about the FBO contract came up. There were two FBO's on field, but only one was the 'official' city FBO that managed fuel, ramp space, hangars, etc. The other simply rented planes and had a mx shop. The 'official' FBO wasn't even a local group - they were managed from afar - while the 'other' FBO was family owned by long-time tenants of the airport.

When discussion came up about renewing the 5-year FBO lease, one of the committee members (that happened to own the 'official' FBO) said that they should simply auto-renew the lease without taking bids. One of the 'citizens' (the wife of the 'official' FBO owner) agreed. The rest of the commission just sat there like idiots stumbling over their gums afraid to stand up to the 'official' FBO people. I finally stood up and said "There is a reason the lease only runs 5 years - to keep the lease holder honest. Either take bids every 5 years, or make it a 20-year lease and trust your judgement for that long, but this auto-renew of short-term lease stuff is crap!"

Everyone looked shocked that someone in the audience actually had something to say. Then the 'official' owner said "Well, there isn't anyone that could afford to run the FBO like we do - insurance and all.. Besides, nobody would be interested in bidding." Luckily, the 'other' FBO owner was there and she spoke up and said "Uhh, we already have the insurance and we would be interested in bidding." I heard her say afterwards that she wasn't intending on bidding on it, but those other pepole ticked her off so bad in the meeting that she had to do it.

What ensued next was a grass-roots letter/email writing campaign to the mayor/commission that ended up with the previously 'official' FBO getting the boot and the locals being granted the 'official' FBO role. Since they have taken over, the hangars which were previously about 50-75% full have been booked with a waiting list constantly growing. 'Hangar bums' have started to show up and the overall 'feel' at the airport has improved.

I'm with Jay - if you're not happy about what's going on at your local airport, just attend the gummit meeting about it and you would be surpirsed at how much ONE voice can make a difference. You'll also be astonished at how major decisions are made at a whim.

Good job.

~

Does the money from the lease to the seed company go toward running the airport? If not, it could a violation of FAA funding agreements.

Money from the farm operation officially goes into the airport coffers. Of course, the airport receives operational support from the city, too -- so it's an accounting game, really. Last year it cost the city ~$125K to operate the airport.

An Iowa State University study (from 2000) shows that our airport brings $5.5 million into our county annually. That's a pretty nice return on investment, no? Spend $125K to make $5.5 million...

Thanks for the thumbnail summary. Please post the details later.

What -- your pixels are in short supply? :p

Trust me -- as long as my diatribe was, I've only scratched the surface in the long story of our airport's management woes. One of these days I'll post something about how, in a college town with 35,000 undergrad and graduate students, there is no university flying club.

*sigh* If there was ever a more under-utilized, under-promoted, and under-appreciated airport, I've yet to see it. What's so sad is that it's a fantastic facility that is only going to get better over the next few years. All of this turmoil and loss was COMPLETELY unnecessary, and could have been wholly avoided with proper management.

I'm hopeful, however, that in a few months this sad chapter will all be a bad memory and we'll finally have a terrific airport once again.

Is Jeff Langston still around IC?

What -- your pixels are in short supply? :p

Trust me -- as long as my diatribe was, I've only scratched the surface in the long story of our airport's management woes. One of these days I'll post something about how, in a college town with 35,000 undergrad and graduate students, there is no university flying club.

*sigh* If there was ever a more under-utilized, under-promoted, and under-appreciated airport, I've yet to see it. What's so sad is that it's a fantastic facility that is only going to get better over the next few years. All of this turmoil and loss was COMPLETELY unnecessary, and could have been wholly avoided with proper management.

I'm hopeful, however, that in a few months this sad chapter will all be a bad memory and we'll finally have a terrific airport once again.

He said he never heard of you either. ;)
He's a famous old Hawkeye FB player from their glory days who moved back to do financial planning. I used to come there once a year for the sole purpose of being the program at his civic club. I had long-since figured out that most of the audience would never be prospects for the high-end tax products we sold, so I had a stand-up routine for such gatherings, just changed the jokes every few months and made the same speech for 20 years.

Never heard of him. Who's Jeff Langston?

Re: ~

Money from the farm operation officially goes into the airport coffers. Of course, the airport receives operational support from the city, too -- so it's an accounting game, really. Last year it cost the city ~$125K to operate the airport.

An Iowa State University study (from 2000) shows that our airport brings $5.5 million into our county annually. That's a pretty nice return on investment, no? Spend $125K to make $5.5 million...

so the money brought in by the airport will be down by 1/12th this year.. any one explain that to the city comptroller?

Good point...... Hey Jay, you might want to attend the next city council meeting and inform them they LOST over 1/2 million dollars in revenue from a VERY stupid move involving their "protocol"

Ben.

Last edited:
Good point...... Hey Jay, you might want to attent the next city council meeting and inform them they LOST over 1/2 million dollars in revenue from a VERY stupid move involving their "protocol"

Ben.
Or write a letter to the local paper. They love stories like that! The hard part is to get it spun so it doesn't sound like a lot of money is being wasted at the airport so it should be shut down!

I agree Chris and good job. But of course none of that would work at my airport, privately owned. But I am happy that the owners are very pro-airport and having been tons of stuff that keeps making the place better. They even started what they call the FOG, Friends of Galt. The FOG has monthly parties and get together. The FBO just added free wi-fi, we got cool jackets too!

Our airport owner is also on the city council to help smooth over relations between the airport and citizens. He tries to stay involved and often invites school groups for tours and has the local EAA chapter do plenty of Eagle Flights.

Or write a letter to the local paper. They love stories like that! The hard part is to get it spun so it doesn't sound like a lot of money is being wasted at the airport so it should be shut down!

This is precisely why we haven't made a stink about this in the local papers. FOICA has worked very hard to present our airport in a positive light, and we've brought the public's perception a very long way.

Publicizing our current airport commission would NOT be productive.

I've always worked on the theory that if your happy with your government, vote incumbent. If your not happy with your government, never vote incumbent, no matter how great a job the incumbent claims to be doing.

If more people would start voting that way, perhaps these politicians would take their constituents seriously.

John

I've always worked on the theory that if your happy with your government, vote incumbent. If your not happy with your government, never vote incumbent, no matter how great a job the incumbent claims to be doing.

If more people would start voting that way, perhaps these politicians would take their constituents seriously.

Absolutely. Agree 100%.

Iowa City (actually, Johnson County) is the perfect example of what happens when a single party is in control for too long. In fact, a non-Democrat hasn't been elected here since before I was born -- and I'm going to be 51 years old next month!

Any time a party -- ANY party -- has such entrenched power, for such an extended length of time, pork, apathy, laziness and inefficiency becomes entrenched, at all levels. Because they have absolute certainty in their job security, politicians here have no incentive to be responsive or helpful. It's extremely frustrating.

Is it a coincidence that the runway should be completed by the time of the first Hawkeye home game? I'm sure it's not.

Jay, does business pick up during football weekends?

Horrible story based on poor planning and worse execution...

I hear you about entrenched politicians...the D or R have no bearing on this in my experience...

Absolutely. Agree 100%.

Iowa City (actually, Johnson County) is the perfect example of what happens when a single party is in control for too long. In fact, a non-Democrat hasn't been elected here since before I was born -- and I'm going to be 51 years old next month!

Any time a party -- ANY party -- has such entrenched power, for such an extended length of time, pork, apathy, laziness and inefficiency becomes entrenched, at all levels. Because they have absolute certainty in their job security, politicians here have no incentive to be responsive or helpful. It's extremely frustrating.

This is precisely why we haven't made a stink about this in the local papers. FOICA has worked very hard to present our airport in a positive light, and we've brought the public's perception a very long way.

Publicizing our current airport commission would NOT be productive.

An airport closed for a whole month is 'NOT PRODUCTIVE''.

Geez Jay, get some thick skin or your sob story will only get worse..

Ben

Is it a coincidence that the runway should be completed by the time of the first Hawkeye home game? I'm sure it's not.

Jay, does business pick up during football weekends?

No, it's no coincidence. As I outlined, the closure month was likely (and suddenly) moved up from September to August specifically so that the airport would be open for those home games.

Home football is our bread and butter at the hotel in the fall. Without it, we wouldn't survive the winter. Tens of thousands visitors come to town for each home game.

In recent years, however, fly-in game-day traffic has dropped by at least 50%. The airport used to close the N/S runway in order to park large aircraft on it during home football games. Now, even though that (now permanently closed) runway is available for parking, that hasn't been necessary.

I used to walk the ramp on every home game, jotting down N numbers (to be used for promotional mailings). Sometimes there were upwards of 100 planes on the ramp. Last time I did it, there were 17. That was several years ago.

Last edited:
An airport closed for a whole month is 'NOT PRODUCTIVE''.

Geez Jay, get some thick skin or your sob story will only get worse..

Ben

Unfortunately, IMHO making a stink to the local media will only play into the hand of the anti-airport crowd here in Iowa City. Trust me, after having fought this battle for the last seven years, I know there are many townsfolk who would dearly love to see the airport carved up into subdivisions.

They would use this mess as a podium, highlighting the "wasteful spending" at a "little-used airport" that is "only used by the rich". I've been down that road, and it's a tough battle. GA-only airports have a "country club" feel to the uninitiated (once you're "in", of course, you realize just how far from the truth that is!) that is VERY hard to combat. It permeates every conversation, especially with the university elite.

It always strikes me as funny that many of these same university elite -- the ones who are getting paid six figures -- see themselves as "fighting for the proletariat". They make more than almost everyone in town and live in all those stunning, new McMansions -- but ride their bikes, support new homeless shelters (not in *their* neighborhoods, of course), wear blue jeans, and are fiercely opposed to anything that even smells like aviation. They're for the "working man", doncha know...

Maybe it's different, in other college towns.

Regardless, no amount of quoting "Flight for Life" statistics, or the economic impact of our airport, ever seems to permanently convince these folks of our airport's merit. As every long-term airport supporter knows, it's like a horror movie -- you think you've killed the monster, once and for all, only to have it spring back to life months or years later. You then start the battle all over again...

Absolutely. Agree 100%.

There's an interesting contrast in this thread. Jay's airport, government run made this boneheaded decision to just close for a month with, apparently, no consideration to its clients.

Scott's airport, privately owned, has skin in the game and cannot stay in business and grow if they do not do the things that makes their customers happy.

Unfortunately, IMHO making a stink to the local media will only play into the hand of the anti-airport crowd here in Iowa City. Trust me, after having fought this battle for the last seven years, I know there are many townsfolk who would dearly love to see the airport carved up into subdivisions.

Iowa City's airport is in a sensitive spot - it is right in the middle of the 'new growth' of the city. Any public appearance of dissension in the ranks would appear as blood in the water to the developers in the area.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...547871&spn=0.048752,0.087461&t=h&z=14&iwloc=A

Jay - has your group considered any sort of pro-airport mass-marketing? Maybe if you bypass the idea of swaying the council/airport commission and go straight to the citizens, the growing feeling of pride in the masses will help to sway the ones in power. Maybe like a billboard in town somewhere - "Iowa City Municipal Airport brings $12 million into the community annually - not bad for a couple miles of concrete. Learn to fly today!" ORRRR.. Make it more applicable to Iowa - "Iowa City Municipal Airport brings $12 million into the community each year with only 100 acres of land. That's equivalent to roughly 24,000 acres of corn."

Actually they just had blanks so nobody was actually killed (they were actors).

But going back to the original post...what is it with airport commissions being packed with people who don't care or don't like aviation?

Across the board, average citizens who care about how government handles thing are going to have to start stepping up and serving, lest we be at the mercy of bureaucrats who don't really care about the people they serve.

To get the commission to act in the best interest of the airport, you're going to have to forget about the commission for now. Go after the councilmen. Vote in some people who will put aviation people on the commission. You gave 'em the power, take it away. It's still America.

Sounds like a need (college flying club) and an EXCELLENT meeting place could be that aviation-themed hotel in town ... what was the name of that place again? ;)

Actually they just had blanks so nobody was actually killed (they were actors).

Wow! Really? You mean they didn't actually kill the actors in the filming of the movie? And all this time, I thought it was actual footage!! :rolleyes:

Wow! Really? You mean they didn't actually kill the actors in the filming of the movie? And all this time, I thought it was actual footage!! :rolleyes:
In some cases, it probably should be, but that is getting off the topic a bit...

Sorry to burst your bubble, Ed.. Also, the 'blood' is really ketchup.

Oh, and remind me to have a talk with you about the Easter bunny and Santa Claus at 6Y9 this year... :D

Jay - has your group considered any sort of pro-airport mass-marketing? Maybe if you bypass the idea of swaying the council/airport commission and go straight to the citizens, the growing feeling of pride in the masses will help to sway the ones in power. Maybe like a billboard in town somewhere - "Iowa City Municipal Airport brings $12 million into the community annually - not bad for a couple miles of concrete. Learn to fly today!" ORRRR.. Make it more applicable to Iowa - "Iowa City Municipal Airport brings $12 million into the community each year with only 100 acres of land. That's equivalent to roughly 24,000 acres of corn."

Chris, excellent idea, and excellent analogy. With a little research and math, one might figure what that means in $$ per bushel of corn, and you could start a new movement for the aviation industry, at least in ag states.

Back