David Clark X11 headset

Biggiebigbig

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Biggiebigbig
I wonder if anyone can help me?

I recently purchased a DC X11 set from eBay.
Today I've been to my local airport (Leicester, UK.) to get signed up for PPL training. As the visibility was poor I met the FI who showed me round the aircraft. Whilst there the FI agreed to check the set for me.
Although on aircraft battery power (Engine not fired up). The set seemed to work fine until we tried to send a radio check and it seems the mic wasn't working . The set is only 2 years old and looks like new. The FI told me not to worry as it may just be the engine power is required (what would happen in a glide :-s)
Can anyone advise if this is the case and if not and they need repairing what can be done? Is the remaining 3 year warranty transferable?

Thanks

i would think the warranty would be transferable. but it is possible that the mic may work still. just try it again w/ engine running at a decent rpm.

Are you sure the battery pack was working and on?

fwiw - it sounds like (no pun intended) the headset is broken.

The mic does not require ship's power to operate. Assuming the wiring to the headset plug is sound, the headset is broken. Test it in another aircraft.

DC will repair it, most likely gratis, although I have no idea whether they have a service agency or location in UK.

DC are notorious for repairing very old headsets, long out of warranty, as a courtesy. Two years old? I bet they're all over it for you.

Thanks for all of your help, I really appreciate it.
I will check the set with engine running on my next lesson and if all else fails send them for repair.
BTW I have found the name of the UK David Clark approved service centre, if it helps anyone else out there.
DC website lists them as Headset Services Ltd in Shoreham (info@headsetservices.com) Tele: 0044(0)1273 234181

Thanks

Are you sure the battery pack was working and on?

fwiw - it sounds like (no pun intended) the headset I

Thanks bob, the battery indicator was on so they should be ok. I checked the quick ref guide supplied with the set and apparently it has a fail safe built in so should still operate without batteries just without the noise canceling functionality. The plugs and connections are all moulded and seem fine, the set looks brand new without a scratch on them.??? I hope a service sorts them out !

David Clark set the standard for customer service years ago, and maintains it. If it turns out that you do have a problem with the headset, I am confident that they will take care of it for you quickly in a way that will impress you.

Bad ting.

DC headsets on eBay are notorious for being military sets that a service member brought home. Check the specs on the full model number on David Clark's web site.

Your mic problem could be due to an impedance mismatch - and DC will not fix that.

Bad ting.

DC headsets on eBay are notorious for being military sets that a service member brought home. Check the specs on the full model number on David Clark's web site.

Your mic problem could be due to an impedance mismatch - and DC will not fix that.

I have the original receipt and they look as per the spec.
Have contacted HSL Ltd to request a service. What info is usually required when sendin a set back for service?

If it is a military set, then there should only be one plug, like a helo set, right? I admit I could be completely wrong...

If it is a military set, then there should only be one plug, like a helo set, right? I admit I could be completely wrong...

I thought there may be more to it. DC has a wide variety of options for cords and impedances.

The plugs and connections are all moulded and seem fine, the set looks brand new without a scratch on them.??? I hope a service sorts them out !
Don't assume that the wiring in the plane is working properly. Check your headset in a different plane. If that is not available, check it in the same plane but on the right side, or in the back seat, etc.

The unfortunate fact of life (at least on this side of the pond) is that primary training aircraft may have multiple squawks (identified things wrong with them). You have to learn which of these squawks will kill you and which won't. In an ideal world, there would be none.

-Skip

Last edited:
Don't assume that the wiring in the plane is working properly. Check your headset in a different plane. If that is not available, check it in the same plane but on the right side, or in the back seat, etc.

-Skip

Thanks Skip,
We tried it in the left and right sockets with the same result.
Would both not working be an acceptable squalk ?
I'm 6'2 but I think it would be difficult to fly from the back seat even with my limited experiance Lol ...

I sent my X-11's off to DC a few weeks ago and they fixed them right up at zero cost. All I had to pay was shipping to their facility. Since you're abroad, I'm not sure if you'll get the same deal though.

Thought that i'd update you all...
I am pleased to announce that Headset worked great with engine running.
Thanks again for all of your advice.

Thought that i'd update you all...
I am pleased to announce that Headset worked great with engine running.
Thanks again for all of your advice.
Good to hear!! Enjoy and keep us up to date on what is happening with you training.

I did lot of my initial pilot training too far from you. I used to use the Ely Cathedral as one of my pilotage markers on the northwest of our local flying area.

Back