David Clark headset discussion

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
Rather than sidetrack the other thread, here's a new one

Does anyone have reference to a page that lists the different DC models and the differences between them?

What is important (to you) in a headset? Why?

Yes, but they don't tell me what features pilots like the most and why.

What’s important to me is reliability.

I’ve flown under a David Clark PNR product almost exclusively for 25+ years because it just works.

I got the opportunity when the first Bose ANR headsets came on the market to flight test them for 10 sorties and quickly recognized the failure mode of non-panel powered ANR hampered their reliability. While they worked passively, they didn’t function any where near as well for the design intent. Every sortie was install a new set of batteries during preflight with enough replacements for the planned duration. I found that to be excessive cost vs value.

I do see the benefits of a panel-powered ANR, especially given integration with and among all the talky avionics and gadgets. Some of that can be implemented with BT adaptors and such, though.

If you want to add ANR later to your DC headset, there are plenty of kits out there for around $150.

I've owned a pair of 10-13.4's and a pair of 20-10's. Both were passive (ANR was just getting popular then). I thought both were comfortable and both seemed to hold up ok. They didn't sound particularly great, but not bad either. They were just good comfortable headsets. Hooking up to music was unheard of then so everything was mono. In short they were very good headsets for flying the way they did it back in 1973.

Then Lightspeed came along and suddenly you could get ANR sound with good comfort for about the same money as passive DC's. They were stereo so you could plug in an MP3 player if you wanted. DC added ANR but it was an afterthought and made an already expensive (for the time) headset much more expensive. Then they added a stereo option if you wanted to crack your wallet open even wider.

Since then, the price of the premier Lightspeeds has gone up so now you're paying about the same money for the top line model from either company. Seems like Lightspeed is still a bit ahead in terms of design and features, but DC has come a long way in that department. The edge would still go to Lightspeed for me but people still love their DC's because its what their granddad used.

Rather than sidetrack the other thread, here's a new one

Does anyone have reference to a page that lists the different DC models and the differences between them?

What is important (to you) in a headset? Why?

For the what is important question.

Microphone quality, usually only an issue on the cheapest headset. They will pick up to much background noise.

Reliability. How long will it last before it has issue. Most common issues are broken (internal) wires in the cables. I don't think I have ever had this issue on a David Clark headset, but see it often on many others, especially cheaper headset.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

I use a DC Pro-X in the work airplane, and a DC One-X in the personal airplane. They are both awesome.

Hijacking the other thread is fine in my book. I was hoping it would be a great discussion of what pilots like/don't like and why so if mini discussions are generated from my questions I'm all good with it and see nothing wrong with it personally.

For sure in the passive days they were tanks. You could throw any DC under the back seat of your truck and step on it a few times and it would always work.

That’s a lot of my liking of them. But I have Lightspeeds right now.

I don’t find the Lightspeed shape perfect for my head or ears. The DCs always fit well and I tend toward the fat head and large ears type. Ha.

Lightweight and good fit are key. I have some H10-30s and an H10-13.4. They are tanks, and DC will repair them. A little clampy, but good for passives. I give them to pax. I wear an original Zulu Lightspeed. I've only had to replace the ear seals. Once you go ANR you don't go back.

When buying passive DC's be sure to buy a model ending in "S" for stereo. These work both old mono audio panels and the new Stereo panels. Nominally more expensive, but worth it.

Back