Dave S quick!

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I need a shortcourse on the Baron, I get to fly in one tomorrow to mineral wells!
Will get the model# and year shortly... its a turbo.
Lance has one too?

...shiny side up.

Flying to the autopilot capitol of the world.

Let'sgoflying! said:
I need a shortcourse on the Baron, I get to fly in one tomorrow to mineral wells!
Will get the model# and year shortly... its a turbo.
Lance has one too?

What would you like to know?

Lets start with engines - which are they; TIO520? Frankly I am more worried about getting a good start than anything! Any tricks?
I will get some ground training and POH time before the flight, but there are always things they don't cover....

Any quirks, peculiarities and gotchas are always welcomed!

Let'sgoflying! said:
Lets start with engines - which are they; TIO520? Frankly I am more worried about getting a good start than anything! Any tricks?

The engine depends on the model. There were no turbo 55's AFaIK. There are 55's with aftermarket turbo systems. The 58 was sold as a factory turbo and I think they came with TSIO-550's There was also a 56-TC model Baron which came with Duke engines with something well over 300 Hp each. This was the fastest Baron that Beechcraft ever made, but they are expensive to run and maintain.

AFaIK they all start like any other injected big bore engine, that is to say easily when cold or warm, not so easy when hot. Cold I start mine by setting mixture rich, throttles 1/3 open and prime with high boost until you see around 10 GPH (3-5 seconds). Then move the throttle to barely cracked open and crank. They should fire within a few blades. Hot starts on the Continentals work best if you run the boost pump on high for about a minute with the throttle closed and mixture in cut-off. Then set the throttle at 1/3 flip on low boost as you start cranking. Slowly move the mixture towards rich until the engine fires and then pull the throttle back to keep the RPM below 1000. Don't forget to shut off the boost pump. One other note: if you have one engine that's harder to start and your batteries are good, then start that engine first. That way you can hear what that engine is doing when you crank it, if you start the other one first it's hard to hear much on the second one.

The Lycomings are different and I have no specific advice.

The master switch is operated with a key. There are two mag/start switches near the master switch on the right side panel.

I will get some ground training and POH time before the flight, but there are always things they don't cover....

Any quirks, peculiarities and gotchas are always welcomed!

The first thing I have to tell pilots that I let fly the Baron is that the trim is very touchy. If you are used to a Cessna and flip in three turns of the trim wheel you will think you are heading straight up or down depending on which way you turned the wheel. One quarter inch of movement on the circumference of the trim is good for a few knots of hands off airspeed.

Other items worth mentioning:

It's very important to close and latch the door properly. If you don't it's pretty much guaranteed to pop open right after rotation on takeoff. If it does open, fly the plane and forget about trying to close the door, it's almost impossible to close in the air and several pilots have died trying. Just stay in the pattern and land while closely monitoring your airspeed as it's very easy to get slow with the distraction of an open door.

Gear and flap speeds are pretty high. Gear speed (retract, extend, and fly) is 152 KIAS in my B55 and a few knots higher in some of the bigger Barons. In level flight you can get down to 120-130 KIAS with the gear and flaps up with the power at the bottom of the green on the MP and mid-range RPM but that takes a few minutes and several miles. Gear extension generates a slight, temporary nose up pitch and flap extension produces a much greater pitch up that requires trimming.

Older Barons like mine have two tanks in each wing with an aux and main position on the fuel selctor. You're not allowed to take off with less than 13 gallons in each main tank (always take off on the mains). That means it's a good idea to manage your fuel so you use up most of the aux fuel before taking the mains below 1/2 full. On the newer models the tanks in one wing are all connected together so there's no need to manage fuel as long as both engines are running. Some of those have two fillers on each wing and if you open the inboard one when the tanks are full, gas will come pouring out.

Despite the light touch required on the wheel during normal cruising flight, the Baron requires a hefty tug to hold the nose up during the landing flare.

The seats adjust fore and aft (no vertical adj) and the rudder pedals have two positions as well. The highest position on the pedals is for short legged people only. On the right side there is a third position which puts the pedals on the floor and disconnects them completely from the rudder.

Many Barons have brakes on the left side only. The parking brake is a small T-handle under the panel near the center. Pull it out and pump up the brakes with the pedals. Make sure it's pushed forward before taxi and takeoff. A lightly loaded Baron can probably take off with it on, but the tires and brakes will suffer.

The nosewheel steering on my Baron and most that I've flown is kinda sloppy.

Barons like Bonanzas like to wag their tails in turbulence. You can cut the swing in half simply by forcing the rudder pedals to stay still. The easiest way is to put one foot on both. A yaw damper does a better job.

The landing lights generate a lot of heat and will melt the plastic covers (wing mounted lights) if left on while on the ground.

Don't even think of letting a Baron spin or stall with assymetrical thrust. History shows that they don't recover well. A wing drop at stall is pretty likely, even if you are well coordinated.

The CG range is less than similar Cessna or Piper twins, but the nose baggage area can hold up to 300 lbs (less the installed weight of any avionics in the nose) and this makes it pretty easy to stay within the envelope. Like the Bonanza, fuel burn from the main tanks shifts the CG aft slightly so it's possible to start a flight just inside the aft limit and end up outside it.

Most Barons have a flyable weight that can vary by almost 30% so you need to adjust landing speeds for your actual landing weight. A knot for each 100 lbs below max gross is a pretty good adjustment for your over the fence speed. In my B55 that ranges from 80-90 KIAS from 1000 below MGW to MGW.

Some have manual cowl flaps and some are electric. The electric ones only have two positions open and closed. The indicator light by the cowl flap switch indicates the switch position, not the cowl flap position.

The landing gear has two in-cockpit indicators. One is a red pointer at the base of the center pedestal which indicates the actual position of the nose gear. The older ones have a pair of lights that indicate the position of the gear actuator under the front seats. Newer Barons have the conventional "three green" connected to switches on the gear itself.

The emergency gear extension handle disconnects from the actuator transmission when folded up in the stored position. There should be a cover for the handle that keeps it folded. If the handle is unfolded it will spin hard and fast enough to break someone's foot when you raise or lower the gear. It will also get wrapped up in any wires or purse straps in the vicinity. The emergency crank is for lowering the gear only, if you try to use it to raise the gear, it will probably break a part inside the transmission rendering the crank useless. Catching the handle on something when the electric motor spins it can also break the transmission. A common mishap scenario involves a practice extension that leaves the handle unfolded and engaged followed by a normal retraction. Older Barons have a spar cover that can be installed in a way that covers part of the extension handle rendering it unuseable (something to check before starting).

Last edited:
Any question why asks here?

I may save that for future reference.

I could certainly afford to buy a Baron, easily. But I could not afford to feed it!

Thanks Lance, that helps a lot!
wow brakes on the right only - that would have been an eye opener.

Last edited:
Let'sgoflying! said:
wow brakes on the right only - that would have been an eye opener.

No, No, the other right side. I can usually tell my right from my left, but not this time. The brakes are only on the left side. I corrected the post.

Dave:

Sorry, I've been buried at work. Please put my phone number somewhere so you can reach me on short notice: 214.632.7132.

Lance has much more Baron time than me. He's also better at technical explainations. Sounds as if he did some great coaching.

The P-Baron start procedure is just a little different than the NA; hopefully, there's a good checklist in the plane. The POH would also have one.

Let us all know how it went!!

Dave

Com'on now Dave, you're tryin our patience!! How'd the flight go--inquiring minds want to know :D

Dave Siciliano said:
Com'on now Dave, you're tryin our patience!! How'd the flight go--inquiring minds want to know :D

Grinning apparently paralyzes my keying fingers!
What can I say except I loved it and could easily get addicted to this airplane.

1. Baron ext
2. Baron wing
3. Baron panel
4. Mineral Wells Tx
5. Ride home Turbo Aztec
6. Aztec
7. Aztec panel
8. Aztec cracked main strut dye penetrant test

This was a -58tca with turboed 520s, we had a tailwind and were getting 220kts at 11.5.
:D
I had no trouble starting the engines after all. Once I figured out where the start switches were! Like all new airplanes it took a while to find out where all the buttons knobs dials switches were, and what all the lights were... this one had a few unlabelled lamps (lo oil P X 2, and one for door seal pump in operation) -gives you something to scratch the head about as you fly along!
Takeoff was smooth, it tracks the centerline well and rotation came quickly even at 4500'msl - and climb out was well provided-for with those large bore engines growling away. Soon we were at cruise alt - boost pumps off one at a time, set power and props then mixture (owner instructed us to use 18gph) and cowl flaps closed. I didn't notice any waggle in cruise but it was a very calm day.
It had a really old but functioning AI with FD, have a look at the altimeter, it took a couple of extra glances to figure out what it was saying at first. A radar altimeter that gives a whoop upon startup and at minimums. The nav equipment seem to be neatly spaced all over the panel! Love those throttles in the 'wrong' spot. Caught myself twice reaching for the wrong levers. Nice -155's and an older radar. Autopilot worked pretty well except for a little drift down and the pitch wheel was very sensitive, awkward to reach.
Descent and approach were easy, I allowed lots of time to get down and slowed down way ahead, no surprises til touchdown really. Touchdown was firmer than I'da wanted but I always find it hard to remember the takeoff attitude the first time in a plane. And the runway was recently surfaced and had no markings.
You Baron Boys have it made! That is one fine birdy.
Thanks for the tips/offers to help guys!

Let'sgoflying! said:
I didn't notice any waggle in cruise but it was a very calm day.

Barons fly nice and straight in cruise as long as there's no turbulence and 58 Barons are less prone to tail wagging than the 55's.

The nav equipment seem to be neatly spaced all over the panel! Love those throttles in the 'wrong' spot. Caught myself twice reaching for the wrong levers. Nice -155's and an older radar.

Fitting all the new nav gear into a Baron panel is a challenge. Given the rather narrow cabin width (for a twin) there isn't a lot of spare room. When that panel was designed, a couple navcomms, an audio panel, an ADF, and a transponder was pretty much the norm. I like the center position on the throttles (of course that could be because I'm used to them), as it makes landing from the right seat a bit more comfortable. AFaIK Beech set them up that way to mimmic larger "transport category" twins.

You Baron Boys have it made! That is one fine birdy.

There is something about a Baron (and a Bonanza for that matter) that's hard to describe, but is quite appealing to pilots.

Thanks for the tips/offers to help guys!

Always looking for more converts. :cheerswine:

Thanks for the update Dave. Sounds like a nice bird and glad you got to fly it.

Sounds like you now understand why Lance and I are addicted--no other description seems appropriate. I keep saying I'll get by your place sometime, but it seems I'm always pushed on the way to San Diego and rushed on the way back to get home. We'll link up sometime.

Best,

Dave

Back