Dauphin Island Airport 4R9 Closed?

blurceo

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Uberpilot
I was looking at going down to Dauphin Island for a beach weekend. Noticed that the airport had some yellow Xs over the numbers? Does anyone know if its closed or not? It's still pulling up on the charts.

Oh man I hope not. We like to fly there for day trips! Post any info you find please.

Everything looks like it's open. Even saw an article posted 2 hours ago about how the navy will be flying unmanned vehicles out of It soon.

Did you recently fly over the airport and see the X's?

Sure enough it shows X's on google maps. I called the Airport manager and left a message. Ill report back if I hear anything.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    808 KB · Views: 30
Sure enough it shows X's on google maps. I called the Airport manager and left a message. Ill report back if I hear anything.

Google Maps photos can be years old. Could be something as simple as a maintenance project where they had it closed for a day to seal cracks or paint numbers.

Yeah I know and Ive seen dauphine island in the past on google earth and all was good. Im sure its old or like you said a project since there are no NOTAMs. Oh well its always best to call before flying in anyway. Now I just may go if he calls back. haha

Those Google Maps satellite images are from 1/28/16. There are reviews of the airport since then, so I assume it's open.

Not completely related to this thread, but it brought up a memory...

A few years ago I was flying in East Texas and caught a conversation between a student on a solo xc, and his instructor, who he'd heard on the freq in another airplane. Student was planning on landing at xxx airport, which I had just flown over and knew it was X'd out with a huge gash in the paved runway about 1/2 way down, and a lot of large earth moving equipment. Student proceeds to land, then gets back on the freq, and for the whole CTAF world to hear, asks what the big yellow x's mean, and can he take off again on half a runway?
There was the longest silence in the world, and then his CFI tells him to stay put and they'll talk on the phone in a bit.

Back