Daughter has a question

I have no experience with washing airplanes. I would do my research first.

Anyway.

A simple wash and Interior vacuum shouldnt take more than two hours including cleaning the windows.

lol I suspect you have not washed a dirty 172 with a greasy belly. Hell even my Flybaby takes me 8 hours or so.

lol I suspect you have not washed a dirty 172 with a greasy belly. Hell even my Flybaby takes me 8 hours or so.
No kidding. Way back in the dark ages I said I would wash a 172 for $25. That was a mistake, even in the dark ages. It took me all day.

If you really want to test your resolve, try polishing one...
My elbows and shoulders begin to howl when I see a polished plane. Funny thing that. But I appreciate the effort for the eye candy...as long as it's someone else.

My airport has certain rules about doing this sort of thing on the airport property.
They want you to have a business license with Liability insurance and registered with the airport authority. They want you to have a business operators permit with the airport manager.

Also there is designated areas for washing airplanes on airport grounds.

Lots of hoops to jump through for slinging a bucket and sponge around.

My airport has certain rules about doing this sort of thing on the airport property.
They want you to have a business license with Liability insurance and registered with the airport authority. They want you to have a business operators permit with the airport manager.

Also there is designated areas for washing airplanes on airport grounds.

Lots of hoops to jump through for slinging a bucket and sponge around.

Not accidental. I'd bet the only on-field FBO will be happy to wash the outside of a 172 for $500, though. Inside is extra. :rolleyes:

If you are going to wash your airplane at the airport the owner can with the designate wash racks where ever that may be. Since I rent I haven't given this much thought.

At fourteen, her best bet would be to be hired by the owner as a general laborer. No liability on her, and she doesn't run afoul of minimum standards regulations, since such regulations generally don't apply to airport tenants and their employees (real employess, that is, not contractors thinly veiled as employees), she doesn't have to worry about carrying liability insurance, renting office space, etc. If, after doing this for a few owners and she decides to start a business, then she could investigate further.

Essentually, It'd be no different from babysitting (except harder work, and probably pays less).

My elbows and shoulders begin to howl when I see a polished plane. Funny thing that. But I appreciate the effort for the eye candy...as long as it's someone else.

The trick is to not let them go too long. A well polished plane is easy to spiff up compared to an oxidized one.

You could say it gets 'easier' with each job. :)

Trying to be more helpful than my last post ...

KK321-e1271188699163.gif

Lowe's has it in one gallon bulk cheap. I researched this stuff and it's safe on plexiglass and everything.

WARNING! You must dilute it. 10 to 1.

Do tell, what did your research tell you about aluminum and Krud Kutter?

With a pH of 12.5 on the MSDS, and complaints like this in the reviews:

"You do, however, need to rinse off anything that is bare metal, especially (less dense) aluminum. I overlooked a couple of drops when rinsing an aluminum air intake plenum that I cleaned up. The next morning, I noticed some corrosion having developed at those locations"

I'm not sure I'd want this stuff wicking into aluminum lap joints, particularly after watching the original Simple Green aircraft corrosion complaints play out.

https://www.krudkutter.com/images/msds/kk-original krud kutter.pdf

You know what? Mineral Spirits works just fine on the bottom of a plane, it's dirt cheap and isn't going to corrode anything. It won't hurt your paint either. Buy a gallon can, pour some into a trigger spray bottle and start wiping. Either that or, put it on with a brush. Lots of ventilation needed though.

Do tell, what did your research tell you about aluminum and Krud Kutter?

With a pH of 12.5 on the MSDS, and complaints like this in the reviews:

"You do, however, need to rinse off anything that is bare metal, especially (less dense) aluminum. I overlooked a couple of drops when rinsing an aluminum air intake plenum that I cleaned up. The next morning, I noticed some corrosion having developed at those locations"

I'm not sure I'd want this stuff wicking into aluminum lap joints, particularly after watching the original Simple Green aircraft corrosion complaints play out.

https://www.krudkutter.com/images/msds/kk-original krud kutter.pdf

I 'R' not a chemist. But I've been using it diluted on the painted areas, and I see no spotting or corrosion from any over spray on the bare aluminum....

Did you catch the warning where I said make sure you dilute it 10 to 1? In the directions on the can, it says a 10 to 1 dilution is safe on bare metal, plastics, plexi, etc ...

Only the cleaner/degreaser. They make several products. You must get the right one.

https://www.krudkutter.com/index.php?option=com_products&task=product&pid=4&Itemid=62
[QUOTEALL PURPOSE (1½ CUPS OF CONCENTRATE TO 1 GALLON OF WATER):
Appliances; Mini-Blinds; Canvas; Chrome; Silver; Brass; Copper; Porcelain; Plastic; Fiberglass; Linoleum; Aluminum; Vinyl; Patio Furniture; Walls & Baseboards; Carpets; Upholstery; Stainless Steel; Laundry Presoak; Wheels. ][/QUOTE]

:dunno:

I 'R' not a chemist. But I've been using it diluted on the painted areas, and I see no spotting or corrosion from any over spray on the bare aluminum....

Did you catch the warning where I said make sure you dilute it 10 to 1? In the directions on the can, it says a 10 to 1 dilution is safe on bare metal, plastics, plexi, etc ...

Only the cleaner/degreaser. They make several products. You must get the right one.

https://www.krudkutter.com/index.php?option=com_products&task=product&pid=4&Itemid=62

[QUOTEALL PURPOSE (1½ CUPS OF CONCENTRATE TO 1 GALLON OF WATER):

Appliances; Mini-Blinds; Canvas; Chrome; Silver; Brass; Copper; Porcelain; Plastic; Fiberglass; Linoleum; Aluminum; Vinyl; Patio Furniture; Walls & Baseboards; Carpets; Upholstery; Stainless Steel; Laundry Presoak; Wheels. ]

:dunno:[/QUOTE]

Just a warning, do not believe anything a corporate marketing wank puts on a consumer label. Read the MSDS. That is the regulated document.

That stuff has the pH of Drano. I would be fine using it on an aluminum pot. I would never use it on the delicate, thin pieces of aluminum we have where it will wick down around rivets and into joints.

Krud Kutter Original consists of water, alcohol, and two corrosive ingredients in that formulation that actually make it work.

Even if you dilute it down, after it wicks in somewhere the water and alcohol will eventually evaporate away. This will leave ever stronger concentrations of the active ingredients, right where you don't want them.

That's why the guy in the review I quoted saw aluminum corrosion where he left a couple of drops and the solvent evaporated away.

I hate to get preachy, but over and over again, I see people using inappropriate cleaning products on airplanes. These aren't toilet bowls or baked on kitchen utensils that we can throw away when they start to look, well... corroded.

If you want to move beyond mineral spirits, WD-40, or a real aviation product, at least run the MSDS past someone who knows how to read them. If not for you, then help keep the next guy who buys your plane from being surprised at an annual someday.

... and this goes double for the OP who is thinking about sending his daughter out on someone else's plane.

Back