Dateline: Dallas:Airport now open to those with less training, no medical certificate

silver-eagle

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
~John
[SIZE=+2]'Sport pilots' taking off, leaving critics worried
video_icon.gif

[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]GP: Airport now open to those with less training, no medical certificate
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]09:21 PM CDT on Saturday, June 17, 2006

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]By KATHY A. GOOLSBY / The Dallas Morning News [/SIZE]
GRAND PRAIRIE – Imagine being legally able to fly a plane with little more than a valid driver's license, only half as much in-the-air experience as a private pilot – and none of the strict medical requirements.
It's true. Grand Prairie officials tweaked the city's airport regulations this month to allow a new category of pilots to operate at the facility. Previously, pilots operating at Grand Prairie Municipal Airport were required to have a medical certificate that had been issued by the Federal Aviation Administration; now the certificate only needs to be recognized by the FAA.
The seemingly minor change opens the field to sport pilots, whose only required medical certification is a valid U.S. driver's license. The FAA approved this new classification of aviators in July 2004, creating an easier and less expensive way to get into flying – and raising safety concerns among some more experienced pilots in North Texas and elsewhere.
"Those of us who have gone through extensive training to get a pilot's license are asking, 'Why?' " said Cynthia Godfrey, operations director of the Mesquite City Airport. "If they don't have to get a medical, or if there are ones who do this because they can't pass the medical, then they probably shouldn't be flying."
Sport pilot certification was created to fill a gap between those who fly ultralight vehicles, which are not FAA certified, and heavier aircraft used by recreational and private pilots, said Larry Clymer, the FAA's light sport aviation branch manager.
"Most incapacitations are not caused by medical problems," said Mr. Clymer. "The thinking was we could do this and do it safely. With sport pilots, it's between you and your doctor, not you and the FAA."
Sport pilots are authorized to fly light sport aircraft, which have a maximum of two seats and a maximum speed of 120 knots, about 138 mph.
But some people are concerned about sport pilots who are off the FAA's radar – for instance, private pilots who may have developed medical problems, let their medical certification lapse and are flying under sport pilot conditions.
FAA spokesman Roland Herwig said it's impossible to know how many private pilots are flying as sport pilots, because recertification is not required. Their private pilot's license and a valid driver's license allow them to fly under sport pilot regulations.
"Sport pilot is easy because it doesn't require a medical, and that's my concern," said Thomas Nielsen, chief instructor for Mesquite Aviation. "It depends on the medical condition, but you're going to have a lot of guys who want to fly but have a disease, like epileptic attacks, who shouldn't be flying."
FAA rules state that a sport pilot must not have been denied his or her most recent application for a medical certificate. But because only those pilots who apply for a medical certificate risk being denied, many simply choose not to reapply. That way, they can continue to fly as a sport pilot using their driver's license, including any restrictions noted on the license, as their medical certificate.
North Dallas physician Gabriel Fried, who has been doing FAA medical exams for more than 30 years, said many pilots probably could pass the physical even with medical problems.
"When I started doing these, anyone with coronary [disease] or diabetes was automatically grounded," said Dr. Fried, who said he does 3,500 to 4,000 aviation exams annually. "But the FAA is aware of medical improvements, and they'll work with pilots, depending on the problem."

Fit for flying?

Despite the FAA's accommodations, many older private pilots remain hesitant to take FAA medical tests, said Glen Hyde, manager of Northwest Regional Airport, a private airfield in Roanoke.
"What I like about 'sport pilot,' " he said, "is it does make some allowance for older pilots with years and years of experience and allows them to keep flying if they have a health issue. But now that's a broad stroke because you've got to declare yourself fit for flying."
That's not just an ideal, it's the law. FAA regulations prohibit pilots from operating any aircraft if a medical deficiency would interfere with their ability to do so safely.
The Mesquite airport's Ms. Godfrey says the majority of pilots will police themselves when it comes to health issues.
"Most people who have medical problems know their limitations, and I don't know too many pilots who wouldn't say, 'If I can't do this, I shouldn't be flying,' " Ms. Godfrey said. "I've been in this business 25 years, and I think 99.9 percent of pilots would be very conscientious about it."
Ken Wiegand, head of Collin County Regional Airport in McKinney, said he feels safer among pilots than among drivers – even pilots with medical problems.
"There's a conception that a pilot will have a heart attack and come down on my house, and yet we let 16-year-olds drive, and there are millions of people on the highways every day trying not to bump into each other," Mr. Wiegand said.
"I know there are folks out there with weak hearts and minds going down the highway doing 80."
In the 10 years that the FAA has been certifying recreational pilots – who must meet the same medical requirements as private pilots – only 271 pilots have opted for that certification, Mr. Clymer said. By comparison, it has issued 246 sport pilot certifications in the last two years.

'Quite a buzz'

At Aviator Air Centers Inc. at Grand Prairie Municipal Airport, about a dozen students are working to become sport pilots, said Morgan Thompson, the flight school's general manager.
"It's a fairly new certification, but it's created quite a buzz," Mr. Thompson said. "We have a few older students, but most are in their 30s to 50s."
Doug Reeves of Plano began working two months ago on sport pilot certification at Aviator Air Centers, one of the few area flight schools that have a light sport aircraft.
"For me, I think it's a good idea to start here and learn the basics of the airplane, and if I'm good at this I could easily progress further to private pilot," said Mr. Reeves, 35.
"It allows you to focus on flying in good conditions and forces you to develop basic skills before taking on extra ones," he said.
Randy Byers, Grand Prairie's airport manager, said he doesn't think FAA officials would approve sport pilot certification if they thought it would endanger lives. He sees it as a boon to the aviation industry because it will attract more people.
"I think sport pilot is a good entry-level way into flying, and it's going to be very popular," Mr. Byers said. "We're here to lease hangars and sell fuel, so we look at it as more planes, more business."

Email kgoolsby@dallasnews.com

GRRRRRRRRRR. Like Sport Pilot is new!?!?!

What was ignored (or not pointed out) was the bureaucratic inefficiency of the FAA's special issuance process.

Re: Dateline: Dallas:Airport now open to those with less training, no medical certifi

silver-eagle said:
'Sport pilots' taking off, leaving critics worried

GP: Airport now open to those with less training, no medical certificate

'Road drivers' racing down streets leave pilots worried

USA: Roads now open to those with no training and no medical standards at all.

Fair's fair. :dunno:

Re: Dateline: Dallas:Airport now open to those with less training, no medical certifi

Frank, that's funny!

:yes:

--Matt

Here's what I sent Ms. Goolsby:

Ms. Goolsby:

While you are free to quote anyone you want, it might be useful to your paper’s reputation for accurate reporting if you checked to make sure the folks you quote know what they’re talking about. Your article quotes Cynthia Godfrey, operations director of the Mesquite City Airport, as saying, "If they don't have to get a medical, or if there are ones who do this because they can't pass the medical, then they probably shouldn't be flying." You also quote Thomas Nielsen, chief instructor for Mesquite Aviation, as saying, “…you're going to have a lot of guys who want to fly but have a disease, like epileptic attacks, who shouldn't be flying." These quotations clearly reflect a lack of understanding of the Sport Pilot rules, which prohibit the very things they suggest are worrisome outcomes of those rules.

You go on to quote others who have the rules correctly, including the fact a pilot who fails an FAA aviation medical examination is prohibited by regulation from flying as a sport pilot based on a driver’s license, and that Federal regulations specifically prohibit anyone who “knows or has reason to know” of a medical condition that would not allow him/her to fly safely from flying as a sport pilot based on a driver’s license even if they’ve never taken, no less failed, an FAA aviation medical examination. Therefore, if someone doesn’t “pass the medical,” or has a disqualifying condition like epilepsy, that person cannot legally fly as a sport pilot. However, to report unfounded and inaccurate statements suggesting a hazard before quoting correct information that lays those fears to rest is sensationalism, not journalism.

While the “critics” you quote may be “worried,” the rest of your article clearly shows that those worries are unfounded and based on the assumption that people will break the law. If so, the new Sport Pilot regulations are irrelevant to the issue, since those people can already break the current regulations by flying without a medical certificate. There’s nothing anywhere to suggest that those currently abiding by the rules will break them just because of the new Sport Pilot rules.

You owe your readers more accuracy and professionalism than this article demonstrates.

Ronald B. Levy, ATP, CFI
Aviation Safety Counselor

Ron;
I couldn't have said it better myself. In fact, I didn't. Mine was a bit more curt than that.

Paul Allen said:
Ron, great response. Thank you for standing up for the aviation community.
Dollars to donuts I don't get a response. BTW, if anyone knows her editor's email address, I'll send him/her a copy.

Good job Ron. Unfortunately the unsensational truth does not sell newspapers. Sigh. :mad:

Back