Database errors

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
A few of you experienced database errors today (MikeA, colohan, alaskaflyer, and a few others). None of you told me though :D

This was caused by a corrupted database index and has been fixed. There will likely be a minor performance gain.

Whew. I thought the internets had crashed. But then I was able to access the red board instead while we were down. Ouch that has to smart :ihih:

I saw it, but it only lasted for about 20 min. Want to post you home phone number?

Just kidding when you take care of it that fast why should we harrass you?

btw this is what it looked like:
image.php
Database error The Pilots of America Message Board database has encountered a problem. Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the www.pilotsofamerica.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.pilotsofamerica.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.
We apologise for any inconvenience.
Not to nitpick but most people spell it apologize.

Joe

I saw it, but it only lasted for about 20 min. Want to post you home phone number?

Just kidding when you take care of it that fast why should we harrass you?

btw this is what it looked like:
Not to nitpick but most people spell it apologize.

Joe
Yeah -- that error was from me repairing the database. The errors that caused me to repair it were only seen by a few users, mostly in searches that used the damaged index.

As far as the spelling of apologize -- that must be a vBulletin typo or something.

Areeda said:
Want to post you home phone number?
Sure. I give it out to clients constantly, why not PoA? Call it anytime, I'll probably be awake, (Seven Six Three)-229-9341. Although my cell phone signal in my current ghetto home sucks ass. Text messages are more effective.

Last edited:
I thought maybe Spin Zone burned itself out.... :rolleyes2:

Apologise: British.

Now tally that banger in your cacks, and pagga that wally with your wallies!

Hmmm...

Red Board messaging was down yesterday, too. Any possibility it was a vBulletin issue?

Hmmm...

Red Board messaging was down yesterday, too. Any possibility it was a vBulletin issue?
Doubtful. There is nothing in the vBulletin code that really depends on vBulletin's servers. We run it completely on ours.

There is also nothing that they could really do with their code that would cause a corrupted index in the database.

The corrupted index was only causing an issue for a small number of people (listed above). To repair the index I had to take the entire database down which caused an error that everyone saw for about 10 minutes. This was sometime after 1am though.

I've been getting a database error when trying to save edits to a message.

Sorry, Jesse, I'm so used to error messages on the job...I did a reload per usual.

It happened again..looking into why.

Taking site down to rebuild the database..

Ok we are back. I'm not sure why the repair last night didn't seem to completely fix the problem.

I just rebuilt the database. We'll see if this does it:
Code:
[root@clearprop ~]# mysqldump -u root -p pilotsofamerica > poa.sql
Enter password:
[root@clearprop ~]# du -chs poa.sql
377M    poa.sql
377M    total
[root@clearprop ~]# mv -f /var/lib/mysql/pilotsofamerica /var/lib/mysql/pilotsofamerica.old
[root@clearprop ~]# echo "create database pilotsofamerica" | mysql -u root -p
Enter password: 
[root@clearprop ~]# mysql -u root -p pilotsofamerica < poa.sql 
Enter password: 
[root@clearprop ~]#
You can get away with the above on small databases like PoA.

Pardon me. Did you just post your password?

Not to mention, Jesse would never use a password so stupidly obvious. His passwords are 93 characters long, usually in the Wingding font

Not to mention, Jesse would never use a password so stupidly obvious. His passwords are 93 characters long, usually in the Wingding font
Most of my passwords are: **********

It's easier to read that way.

Back